Towers Perrin Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I Cant Believe It"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Towers Perrin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are actually some good people there from all backgrounds. That are not down with the racial stuff.

Cons

There are some departments where unbecoming behavior is rewarded

Advice to Management

Reinsurance Claims should really be looked at or investigated. Going at least 5 years back. You will see that many unfair and unfounded things have occurred. Things that could cause the company clients and perhaps even lawsuits

2. "It was the most miserable years of my life"

Former Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

TP now TW is truly a brand name consulting firm. Most people have heard the name and respect the quality of the firm.

Cons

In the office I worked, it was awful. No leadership, no communciation, no open sharing of projects or ideas. It was a toxic environment with little imagination or desire to improve. I think the heirarchial structure is really detrimental to the productivity and development of the firm. Too many people have been there for too long and have no idea how other, productive businesses operate.

Advice to Management

Put people in leadership positions who have leadership qualities. Give clear direction on goal attainment and advancement. Attempt to reduce the overinflated opinions of senior level management as they are typically out of touch and egomanical.

3. "Abusive Company"

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Learned a great deal, smart people to work with, decent company reputation, ok benefits, overtime paid to junior associates, tuesday was fruit day

Cons

long hours, poor work life balance, no control of work, little or no client contact, confusing promotion scheme, frozen pay for a long period of time, promotions without pay increases, lack of respect of senior management (because I don't have kids, I can work from 5 AM to midnight and I should never complain), poor technology, junior associates are not given capability to work from home and are expected to work insane hours

Advice to Management

Just because your employees want to have a work life balance, does not mean you should think they are bad employees. You will lose very smart, good workers because they are smart enough to leave an abusive company.

4. "Paid slavery at its finest"

Former Employee - Actuarial Associate
    Former Employee - Actuarial Associate

Pros

Salary and that is about it. I would have to be pretty drunk to claim any other pro than salary.

Cons

There is quite a bit of favoritism. If you aren't good at kissing butt, don't waste your time here. You will only receive respect if you can entertain coworkers with your daily life.

Advice to Management

Talk to employees who are paid the least in the company to really find out how your management is doing. Hopefully, you will see what I saw at my location.

"All Corporate Drones Wanted for this Feel Bad, Pay Good Sweatshop"

Current Employee - Executive Compensation and Rewards Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Towers Perrin is a well-known consulting firm with an excellent reputation in the HR consulting field. Entry level consultants are paid extremely well with significant overtime opportunities due to their initial status as a non-exempt salaried employee. Employees are able to expense virtually any type of travel expense.

Cons

While Towers Perrin commits a lot of their resources to college recruiting, entry level consultants receive limited formal training and guidance during their first year. Numerous entry level Associates have either quit or been laid off in the past year due to the current business climate and dissatisfaction with working at this firm. The people who work at Towers Perrin treat each other based on formal rank within the firm and thus are very condescending to new consultants. Consultants from different lines of business rarely interact and frequently avoid verbal contact with each other (i.e. halls, elevators, bathroom). Utilization of consultants is haphazard due to poor internal communication and a lack of team meetings. Client interface is non-existent during the first year and I feel I was misled about this trend during the interviewing process. The work is extremely boring and purely relates to "number crunching" and Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. Critical thinking is rarely utilized as the firm relies heavily on past templates and standardized analyses. Utilizing vacation time is frowned upon as my boss initially told me that most people forfeit their vacation time and another consultant mentioned that there is no work-life balance at this company. Sadly, one of my co-workers is planning to work through a good portion of her maternity leave due to her fear of losing her job and the reaction from our teammates. Community service and activism is very low at Towers Perrin. After having positive work experiences in other corporate settings, I am extremely disgruntled with my present employment relationship at Towers Perrin and do not recommend joining this firm.

Advice to Management

Senior management must make and effort to reinvigorate the firm's culture as it is extremely sterile and rigid. They also should make an effort to develop more effective communicators at the middle managerial level who actually provide feedback to co-workers. Lastly, hiring more pleasant and kind people would go a long way in improving the firm.

"A human capital consulting firm that needs a quite a bit of its own medicine."

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

The intellectual capital and the type of work the consultants deliver are compelling. Also, it's always a pleasant surprise to come across a practice leader or senior consultant who not only is at the top of their field but also incredibly professional and respectful.

Cons

Lack of vision and career development opportunities more so in certain functions than others, witnessed poor behavior on part of senior pracitioners or blatant lack of respect for anyone who is not a consultant and little sense of company or office culture.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and respect the people who have taken you to this point and look outside your traditional focal points to accept change and new ideas from seemingly unlikely sources.