Town Pump Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 31, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas P. Kenneally

1. "Good In State Company w"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Billings, MT

I worked at Town Pump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement is great

Cons

Most employees including managers are unprofessional

2. "Undervalued and blacklisted"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Missoula, MT

I worked at Town Pump part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any other than one which is you need a paycheck to survive until such a time yku can be paid elsewhere.

Cons

Oh well where to start? Hmmm, i suppose i could start with middle management and the myriad of mediocre talent there. One example being my store manager berating myself for breaking a a clutch cable in a small mitsubishi work vehicle. Said manager said" i know that was just repaired because my husband's company got the job and it was very exspensive!! 1500 hundred dollars!!" i replied in two quick but obvious statements which was one, why spend 1500 dollars on a vehicle worth only half that. Two how in the world did your husband get that contract? Of course this slap of commonsense earned me a look of bewilderment and then of course anger. So lets be clear, you as an employee can and will be fired for common sense usuage particularly if it stands in contrast to the idiocy that will invariably surround you. You can also be fired for such frivolous misdeeds such as borrowing a penny from the take a penny leave a penny cup which sits to the side of every till at every location. So remember the boss can give lucrative contracts to spouses in fixing equipment not worth the cost which is not just a bad buisness decision it is also theft, by enrichment of themselves at company exspense but you may be fired for taking a penny at community exspense.
      If you happen to have any measurable level of intelligence you should be prepared to suffer the consequences which are both humiliating and offensive. Middle managers with a highschool education or maybe a community college level education will undoubtedly be intimidated by you and seek to undervalue and discredit you which is the hallmark trait exhibited by leaders with shakey self esteems and many in my experience a bit bitter that thier second grade teachers purchase thier wares daily seeing the child they taught not doing what the said they were gonna be when they grew up. That bitterness will be projected on you by them because,,, misery loves company and this company has that in spades. Best advice i can offer is to pass this company by both in terms of employment as they dont deserve you but id go further and do your shopping and gambling elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Upper management should conduct a purge if they think the status quo be acceptable. Middle managements slate should based on my observations be wiped clean. I hqve seen none or worked with any that i would hire. Location seven in particular. Management there is at best entirely ineffectual and at worst lacking in moral standards up to and including be a thief. Giving repair contracts to spouses in amounts greater than the equipments overall worth is both idiotic from a buisness standpoint but also completely unethical.

3. "Assistant Managet"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Three Forks, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Three Forks, MT

I worked at Town Pump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance, Steady Paycheck

Cons

No breaks ever, over worked, under paid, customers are rude and management is prone to nepotism.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people in your family and giving them the good jobs, fraternizing and nepotism is against company policy.

5. "Stick-to-it-iveness required"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Billings, MT

I have been working at Town Pump full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Town Pump is a Montana-based company which excels at making its employees feel valued and necessary. Their practices in recent years have begun to model larger interstate brands of the same type, and their hometown attitude keeps the locals coming back for more.

Cons

There is a practice of letting the District Managers dictate terms for their district which may or may not be in line with corporate policy. Without a system of checks and balances in place, this can lead some low to mid level employees feeling rudderless.

Advice to Management

Adopt policy as policy, and fill in the blanks as needed, but never so much as to appear either biased or uncaring.

6. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Butte, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Butte, MT

I have been working at Town Pump full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work by myself for extended period of times. Loyality, trust and responsibilities that are more entitled for an adult

Cons

Can be slow at times

Advice to Management

Your an amazing company. Love the business

7. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Floor Runner in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Floor Runner in Billings, MT

I worked at Town Pump (Less than a year)

Pros

The tips were usually good.

Cons

Management would get on you for being in the cage too much.

8. "great company"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Great Falls, MT

Pros

great staff, good management, great customer service training, work well with work/life balance. great oppurtunity to advance, i had a short but very enjoyable experience,

Cons

minimum wage, benefits only offered to full time employees, hired as part time but commonly asked to fill shifts which led to more hours but not toward benefits.

Advice to Management

keep up good work

9. "Hit & Miss"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper/Cashier in Shelby, MT
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper/Cashier in Shelby, MT

I worked at Town Pump full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work a lot of hours and overtime this place will definitely give you that opportunity. Dental and vision are good plans and affordable.

Cons

The pay is low, usually starting at minimum wage. You have to fight for raises. Training is subpar and you usually have to battle for that as well. Manager is aggressive and not very helpful. Benefits are subpar. It is a high deductible medical plan (either $3000, or $5000 deductible). You get 2 weeks of vacation after a year. But no sick leave. At this location is is hard to schedule vacation due to lack of staffing. Becoming an assistant manager at this location is a title and nothing more as the manager there holds onto her information with a tight fist.

Advice to Management

Replace the manager, train the assistants to actually be able to assist. Get a manager in who doesn't scare all the good staff away.

10. "Good company but....."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Great Falls, MT

I worked at Town Pump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the staff. The repeat customers know your name and you get to know them.

Cons

Company has lots of nitpicky procedures that are fine until the managers trickle down information. Mostly feels like I was constantly feeling threatened by the management to do a good job or else. Just bad energy and no morale.

Advice to Management

DM should sit in on staff meetings and just watch how the manager communicates information to employees. Is it done as scare tactics or is it done to actually promote a good company with excellent polices that are thoroughly thought out.

11. "Great job Great pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Powell, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Powell, WY

I worked at Town Pump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started out at the lowest level job they offer and I was making $8/h only worked ther for a year and was soon making $9.50/h not to mention the team is great jobs are easy and fun

Cons

may be a little different depending on who you work with

Advice to Management

N/A