Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Patrick Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Make own schedule, free gym membership (in 138 reviews)

• Flexible hours, Free gym membership, employees/managers friendly (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance could be better (in 32 reviews)

• Low pay, little to no breaks even with a 6 hour shift (in 32 reviews)

1. "General Manager"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Good entry level fitness management

Cons

Low pay
    Micro Managment
    You’ll learn what not to do as much as what you should

Advice to Management

More consistent 360 reviews and audits

2. "Love it"

Current Employee - Welcome Team
    Current Employee - Welcome Team

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think the culture has changed over the years and although it was hard at times, where we are heading is so exciting. I have a great team I work with and support to succeed is overwhelming. I love working for TSI and feel comfortable with the growth opportunities I have received and the potential to grow is still available.

Cons

Although the training is available, I don’t always know where to find what I need or I get different answers from different managers. I think that some managers need to be retrained because “different clubs have different policies” isn’t always true.

Advice to Management

More training for welcome team and other non manager roles would be helpful. Otherwise keep it up!

3. "Amazing hiring and training. Very impressed with the organization and talent"

Current Employee - General Manager in Woodmere, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Woodmere, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing I like the best are the people I am working with. Amazing Team spirit and energy. Tremendous support from upper management.

Cons

Working for a corporate company has more layers than I was used to. Especially when having to get things done like purchasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. You made me feel so comfortable coming in as a new hire.

4. "What you need it to be"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started 5 years ago. I was 225 pounds and toured a club looking for membership. Working minimum wage, I couldn't afford the then $80 monthly fee. The sales consultant took pity on me, left to get the manager, and she came back and offered me a part time gig cleaning locker rooms two nights a week, with a free membership. I completed my first shift 6 days later.
    After a few months I was cross trained with front desk staff so I could cover breaks. Shortly after I was promoted to front desk Supervisor.
    I was able to maintain my full time job while working here. Then I became a manager at my full time job. I stepped down to part time front desk, one shift per week. I was given support by all of my club managers that they were sorry to see me less, but thrilled at me taking advantage of a good opportunity.
    Two years later, my other company closed my location. My commute became too difficult to continue.

I reached out to previous managers in TSI and within a week I had full time status again. Three weeks later I was promoted to front desk Supervisor once more. Two months after that, I interviewed for a Customer Service Manager position. I have since enjoyed management roles at 2 additional locations.

In 5 years with this company, I have worked 6 positions at 5 locations. I have been given support at every turn, and truly been able to foster my passion for Fitness. And, I've maintained a 75 pound weight loss!
    I have reached, and continue to reach, my goals with TSI.

Cons

The only lackluster piece is our pay structure. Certain managers are given the opportunity to bonus on revenue and sales, but Customer Service Managers can no longer bonus on retention or other metrics they are ranked on. At it's worst, this isn't a deal breaker, just an annoyance.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering, developing, and growing from within.
    As finances continue to grow, consider a bonus structure for all management levels. Passion for Fitness is why we work HERE, but at the end of the day we all work to pay the bills.

5. "Counselor"

Pros

fun, flexible schedule, great bosses

Cons

there are no cons to this job

6. "Personal Trainer"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Really good staff to work with

Cons

Took a lot of the percentage

7. "Transitioning company"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Free health club access. Great pro.

Cons

Pay is just fine. Company is struggling. Uncertainty

8. "great environment - poor compensation"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, building relationships with members, and fitness community

Cons

poor pay structure with constantly changing commissions

9. "Intensive results based position"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great Compensation structure
    Good amount of autonomous control over your facility
    Very direct line of communication with superiors
    Clear expectations set

Cons

Can be stressful both in work load and pressure to meet quotas
    Managing all aspects without department heads can be difficult

10. "Very results oriented position"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In short, you have the potential to make great money. The company is very straightforward and direct on what they expect of you.

*Great compensation plan
    *Direct line of communication to superiors

Cons

Too results driven. It is absolutely important to stay focused on attaining goals, but passive aggressively threatening employees on bad months is not a good route to go. Company rarely allows you to exercise discretion for scenarios.

Advice to Management

Allow General Managers to have more autonomy with member issues. Focus on improving your older assets to bring them up to speed. Too many older gyms falling apart.