Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Patrick Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company has skeezy upper management that seem to get away with everything even illegal things" (in 34 reviews)

• "Low pay, little to no breaks even with a 6 hour shift" (in 33 reviews)

1. "great part time job"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

well my favorite pro is is the free gym membership for employees! i mean come on! and i can go to any gym of my choosing!!!

Cons

The company has been cutting down on hours and its due to budget cuts which stinks. But for part time work this is a convenient job.

Advice to Management

Please do us a favor and work on employee benefits and more hours!

2. "Low Pay and No Lucrative Career Ladder"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

free membership, that's about it

Cons

minimum wage
    hard to earn more than minimum wage even if you get put into a sales position (membership consultant)
    bonuses depend on club meeting member gain. it is a disgrace that the company decided that that would be the determining factor
    turnover is crazy
    the company is also greedy. they actually have a policy that increases members's rates by ten dollars for every year they're signed up. how sketchy is that!?
    pool at my club is always closed because lifeguards don't care. members cancel their memberships due to the pool being closed.

Advice to Management

pay more and care more

3. "Proper Management=Successful Operation"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

The benefits of being employed by this company are few and one them is the Free Membership and being paid slightly above minimum wage.

Cons

The cons unfortunately far outweigh the pros, the current management lacks and managing skills, like proper communication and work ethic. Also, the corporation itself is cheap and does not care to know its market therefore they lose money which has resulted in employees losing hours and a cut in wages. The pay is not worth the stress. If other opportunities are offered my advice is that you take it even if you get paid less.

4. "Good Company"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for the company as a contract employee and worked off sight. They groomed you if needed and helped your growth.

Cons

downsized and lost contract at my site

"Don't waste your time I'm warning you"

Current Employee - Welcome Team in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Welcome Team in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership
    Flexible with schedules

Cons

You're not paid enough to work here. Upper management makes ridiculous sales goals that results in hours being cut from everyone if the gym is having a bad quarter. Management is almost non-existent. I've had one manager tell a member over the phone that he would "pass a message to the manager" just to avoid confrontation. Management from the upper level down is one of the worst things about this gym next to the poor equipment and members that feel they have a choice whether to pay their bills or not. Upper management lines their own pockets, which results in low wages and lack of gym maintenance.

(talking about gym maintenance) the equipment and the overall upkeep of the gym is horrible. Machines and elevators break down and it takes two months for subpar repairs to be made. This results in members accusing welcome team for not doing their jobs, and we take 100% of the heat for it considering managers lets also note that there have been managers in the past that have faked memberships or falsely advertised memberships to meet sales goals. There is also no room for growth, especially if you are a minority, considering 100% of corporate is white and seem to speak to minority workers like peasants. Lastly, if you attempt to call out or take a day off, you will be threatened with a write up or termination if you don't find coverage on your own (and if you work the weekends or open at 5:30am, 99.9% of the time you will have to go to work because no one wants to work those shifts. So if you have a dying relative or have a court case, don't bother showing your face back at work because you didn't get coverage.

This is by far the worst place to work, and the free gym membership is barely a perk considering certain gyms will give you a hard time for bringing a guest even though you are granted one guest per visit.

Advice to Management

you guys run a company like a bunch of meat heads. I'm surprised you guys are even allowed to be part of the work force. Stop being sneaky and avoiding customer service. Stop with the exaggerated sales goals and stop lining your own pockets while avoiding upkeep of the gym.

"Fitness Manager"

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Butler, NJ
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Butler, NJ

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good pay for trainers
    Paid vacation

Cons

Closing locations
    Low salaries
    Long hours
    No commissions
    Aggressive bonus structure
    Poor facility/equipment repair service

7. "Front Desk Attendant"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

All Employees Receive a Free Membership

Cons

There are constant managerial changes with in the company

"Membership consultant"

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Dobbs Ferry, NY
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Dobbs Ferry, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym, learning the sales process it helps with future sales jobs, meeting new people and helping them get started felt really good. Healthy environment everyone is trying to get fit and health it will motivate you to do the same.

Cons

Sales expectation are crazy and they won’t be pay you enough for any of it, you have to cover the front desk all the time instead of working on sales, so you end up dealing with rude members who never pay their gym bill. Horrible commission structure you won’t get paid for commission unless the club hits net gain which is unfair, if members want to quit it shouldn’t effect our pockets. the computer system is horrible you will be dealing with refunds and over charges and late fees and personal issues and freezing accounts all day before you can make one sale. They don’t care about anything but sales no matter how much you help anyone or improve other areas. The training staff will hate you if you don’t feed them new clients, they will ask you if the member looks like they have money or not befofe speaking to a new member. The members don’t actually appreciate anyone or anything, your position and the other employees make the same hourly rate so they won’t respect you also. So expect to be running in circles helping everyone and making no money.

Advice to Management

Give us more then $5 per sale and then denying it to us if we don’t gain more members then your club lost is Horrible. Your horrible gym service shouldn’t effect what we make for all our sales. Go into your gyms personally and check out how bad their all ran by people who don’t care about anything. Stop ripping off members and increasing their rates because they think it’s us doing it. Focus more on giving these gyms actual working equipment and not used equipment from your other gyms that closed down.

9. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Placentia, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Placentia, CA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, I have been here for over 2 years now and have enjoyed everyday. Management is awesome and always willing to help. All of the employees are friendly and enjoy their jobs.

Cons

Small location, needs some updated equiptment, Other than that a great place!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!!!!!

"Horrible upper management"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

You’ll hire good employees but you are only given so much to treat them how they need and deserve to be treated

Cons

Company has skeezy upper management that seem to get away with everything even illegal things. The second someone below them does something wrong, they get fired even if they didn’t do it. Upper management is always right and will get a promotion one year later.