Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Walsh

Pros
  • short commute, free gym membership (in 76 reviews)

• It is also great to have a free gym membership (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance could be better (in 25 reviews)

• Very high turnover of management (in 24 reviews)

1. "Personal trainer"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Liked my clients. They were cool

Cons

Management was horrible. Thats what makes or breaks a buisness

Advice to Management

Stop being Lame. Listen to your employees

2. "personal trainer"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Great place for a first job if you want to be in the fitness industry. Meet lots of great people here and the atmosphere is fun. Depending on the manager you work with, you may have the good fortune to learn a lot about exercise programming and becoming a top-notch trainer, because that manager truly is interested in helping his/her employees grow professionally.

Cons

Being a personal trainer is a difficult job. Pay for trainers is on commission at this company, so if you don't train clients, you don't get paid. Also, the commission rates are pretty low (they were lowered a couple of years ago), so to make good money, you have to work all kinds of crazy hours. The hours are long (work early mornings, stay until the evenings), and quite often with 1-3 hours of downtime often between clients and classes. This makes for a long day and makes it difficult to achieve work-life balance. Also, there seems to be a disconnect between corporate offices and the clubs themselves. I do not feel supported by this company, in terms of my professional growth and as a valued employee.

Advice to Management

Organize and communicate your policies better. Structure your compensation plan in a way that commission employees can make a decent living and have work life balance. Treat your employees as the valued asset to the company that they really are.

3. "Membership Consultant"

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager/Administrative Assistant in Far Rockaway, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free gym membership, able to make connections and establish rapport with recurring members & guest clientele; not much need for micromanagement.

Cons

They treat their consultants very unfairly; lots of expectations but minimal rewards due to decisions being made from executives; minimum wage in New York City!; always wanting to adhere to a sales pitch script instead of honing on how to build interpersonal skills with guests and potential clients

Advice to Management

Promote from within; Those who are running your locations should have a passion for the position and for the company; be able to survey which managers truly have rapport with clients so that it makes the location and your brand look better; stop having so many sales expectations if you're not willing to reward in those efforts.

5. "Personal Trainer"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Good pay if you sold a lot of personal training packages.

Cons

Management is horrible, the fitness manager didn't know anything about being a personal trainer or working with people in general.

Advice to Management

Take more time finding intelligent, caring people.

6. "GM at TSI"

Former Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a gym environment

Cons

Inconsistency, ever-changing membership plans and commission changes that effect your team and members, constant company downsizing which results in instability and distrust among employees and management having to take on multiple management roles, really hard to make a bonus due to random charges made to your P&L, success is based on number of membership sales versus dollar amount of memberships sold

Advice to Management

Be consistent with your commission structure and membership plans, provide support to your teams and let them know what's going on within the company, change bonus structure to a dollar amount monthly goal so the club and company is profitable

"Fitness Manager"

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, Sales process is well thought out and easy to implement. The staff I managed was exemplary; however I was the only manager in my gym that treated them with any respect.

Cons

Company culture is awful. They are so many layers of upper management that do nothing but look at numbers, repeat numbers and contribute absolutely nothing to the actual process. I came on board not knowing that the company's stock had nose dived and the solution was 1. "Labor Optimization" Fire people and make others do their jobs. 2. "Increase Sales" Raise goals; then try to attain them by the use of threatening, yelling and other fear tactics to scare employees into selling more. I was literally asked "Do you want me to give him a verbal punch in the face?" about one of my staff members. 3. "Reduce Operating Budgets" Under staff life guards, clean team and front desk and take break time out of their paychecks without giving breaks. Require trainers to work floor-time without paying them. I was told "Make life miserable for them" if they did not comply. Put off equipment repair. Don't obtain necessary pool license until you get caught without it and don't do pool upkeep despite lifeguards telling you that the pool is unsafe to swim in. 4. "Reduce Revenue Losses" Refuse all refunds no matter what the situation is and send every member requesting one to someone that does not have the authority to give it to them.

This was the all-time, worst company I have ever worked for. They have managed to appease the stock holders temporarily with these tactics by slightly increasing profit; however I anticipate the fall of this corporate giant if things do not turn around soon! Competition is already stealing all the trainers in the area where I worked by treating them better!

Advice to Management

Reduce the layers of upper management and replace the decision makers with those who have recently worked in front-line management positions. Pay attention to demographics and natural peaks and valleys in sales and set goals consistent to them. Give more in true value than you receive in monetary value. Make the prime importance of the company treating customers and employees with fairness and respect and your stock will increase effortlessly! Ask the front line producers what will help them succeed and follow what they say.

A friend gave me the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins and everything the author says killed businesses in the past is what this company is doing. Despite being neck to neck with their competitors and everyone flourishing, Collins details why some companies nose dived while others rose to the top. I have friends still working there and I honestly hope that the CEO reads this and thinks about it. I would hate to see a company that has so much potential go to its grave because the prime objective is "Take all you can get and give as little as you have to."

8. "Meh"

Former Employee - Welcome Team
    Former Employee - Welcome Team

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free membership.
    Opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people.

Cons

I never felt that any of the managers I worked with cared about my well being.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees as much as you do your members!

"Company Cuts Everywhere In Prep For Sale"

Pros

Pay is above average, Loved working with people

Cons

Very political, Not much room for growth, Higher ups will try to push extra responsibilities off on hourlies so they can use them for a scape goat, Clubs are severely micromanaged, Members are seen as sales numbers

Advice to Management

Refocus on providing an excellent service and building a loyal community and stop pushing sales to the point where even the members are stressed out.

10. "Company"

Pros

Pay decent
    education not to bad

Cons

Will hire anyone
    Scapegoating
    Poor communication

11. "Boston Sports Clubs"

Pros

Generally easy people to work with on a staff. Most who are working part time while going to school and not there to take things to seriously and treat this as a viable career. Everyday members that you get to know can make parts of the day enjoyable and bearable.

Cons

Little communication on important issues that members wants answers for. When this happens employees who have little or nothing to do with situation take the blame. Managers control too much of how thungs are run, let front desk staff learn how to do simple task like fixing small billing issues so they're not made to look dumb when asked questions by members. Overall doing thungs by the book the BSC doesn't work. Try talking to your members and working with instead of looking at the numbers. Not a viable career.