Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 24, 2017

2.0
Patrick Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Make own schedule, free gym membership (in 138 reviews)

• Flexible hours, Free gym membership, employees/managers friendly (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance could be better (in 32 reviews)

• Low pay, little to no breaks even with a 6 hour shift (in 32 reviews)

1. "Anonymous"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Free gym membership; worthy company mission - helping people meet their fitness goals

Cons

No focus on people development; lots of favoritism

Advice to Management

People are key to making any organization succeed. If you don't nurture them, reward them and engage them, then you cannot achieve your mission.

2. "Minimum wage 15cent raise once a year"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As with any job its what u make of it must members are very nice and u get to meet judges lawyers athletes up and coming and pros I and some other workers have gotten work privately

Cons

a lot of the members are entitled and sloppy

Advice to Management

If u want to get promted they make keep track of everything u do on a form called it to warrent a promotion ur better off leaving then coming back for the position u want there a lot of management positions but they not available in all locations customer service man general man lead front desk sales manager

"Didn't really like it"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Got to know a lot of people

Cons

Not the best rules to work by

4. "NYSC"

Current Employee - Fitness Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Fitness Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many locations so there is always work

Cons

Tiny or no raise. Management turnover.

5. "Lead Trainer"

Former Employee - Lead Trainer in Colonia, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Trainer in Colonia, NJ

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Lead Trainer receives the highest pay percentage of the training session value, and the highest hourly pay compared to all the other trainers.

Cons

Although this is a part time position, the Lead Trainer is encouraged to stay at the gym so as not to miss anyone who might be interested in training. The expectations seem to require full time attention with regular meetings, conference calls and prospecting hours. Other hours to conduct Fitness Orientations sometimes overlap the floor hours (max of 2), and although the Lead Trainer is responsible for sales and revenue, there is no bonus nor commission for any achievements in this position. The Lead Trainer is also responsible for the entire training staffs sales and sessions trained, data analytics, audits, and updates. Furthermore, there is staff development and disciplinary actions that must be implemented. This is a full time job with only part time compensation. Also, my location was old and run down. The weights and bars were rusty. The machines were rickety and the staff was few. So, I was also encouraged to cover areas that took my attention away from my duties. This made achievement impossible. Also, Many members of the management made empty promises and such is often the case in a sales environment. The disappointment creates a lack of morale and then the inevitable underachievement occurs - especially with aforementioned setbacks.

Advice to Management

I think that there should be a more distinct criteria of duties so the person can either be a trainer, or a manager - not both. If a person is responsible for sales and revenue, then he or she should be offered commission or bonuses for achievements in those areas. I wasn't offered any. No one with bills to pay works for free, so a more adequate list of responsibilities should be created. Let the trainers train, and the sales people sell. If a trainer sells, then compensate him or her. Also, keep a full roster of employees, and hire more maintenance professionals to ensure that people who are responsible for sales can put time and effort into those duties. Lastly, understand the changes in trainer roster before you create sales quotas that should be based on the amount of employees who sign up new clients. A trainer left and the quota remained to be the same number. Many members of the management made empty promises and such is often the case in a sales environment. The disappointment creates a lack of morale and then the inevitable underachievement occurs - especially with aforementioned setbacks.

"NYSC"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Potenital hours to be given

Cons

Messy and you'll get frustrated by managements lack of organization.

7. "Part Time Job"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

A relatively easy work load.

Cons

No reviews or raises are given to employees.

8. "Decent for part time."

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment. Good clients and member base.

Cons

Management thinks they are used care salesman. No support at all from upper management. Constant management changes.

"Upper Management Shows Little to No Care About Club Level Employees"

Current Employee - Membership Consultant
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free gym membership to all locations in the country. Also the environment at the location where I work is great, we have an amazing work family.

Cons

The company often makes changes that deeply and negatively impact employees at a club level. For example, they recently changed the way sales consultants make commission. There's a contingency to getting commission based on sales (meaning you can do really great for the month but if you don't hit a specific number of sales or your location has too many member cancellations you get no commission, just hourly pay). They have also recently cut the commission by half, that is if you even get to the point where you make commission. This shows no care at all for the sales consultants as it reduces the pay immensely regardless of the work you put in. There is no longer any incentive to make sales and I am extremely disappointed in the company for making this decision. I would advise everyone looking for a sales job to avoid this company.

Advice to Management

Actually consider that employees at the club levels are important and a huge asset to those at the corporate level, and treat them as such. Pay employees more. Invest in each individual club and address what they need specifically.

"This is a decent place for someone looking for a summer job, maybe?"

Current Employee - Club Team Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Club Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to utilize all the facility has to offer. You're also sometimes able to make the customers' day better!

Cons

People are extremely rude, the managers are lazy and are not concerned with the quality of customer service, and you do all the work while generally being paid little to nothing.