Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2017

5.0
Patrick Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Make own schedule, free gym membership (in 138 reviews)

• Flexible hours, Free gym membership, employees/managers friendly (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance could be better (in 32 reviews)

• Low pay, little to no breaks even with a 6 hour shift (in 32 reviews)

1. "Love it"

Current Employee - Welcome Team
    Current Employee - Welcome Team

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think the culture has changed over the years and although it was hard at times, where we are heading is so exciting. I have a great team I work with and support to succeed is overwhelming. I love working for TSI and feel comfortable with the growth opportunities I have received and the potential to grow is still available.

Cons

Although the training is available, I don’t always know where to find what I need or I get different answers from different managers. I think that some managers need to be retrained because “different clubs have different policies” isn’t always true.

Advice to Management

More training for welcome team and other non manager roles would be helpful. Otherwise keep it up!

2. "Amazing hiring and training. Very impressed with the organization and talent"

Current Employee - General Manager in Woodmere, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Woodmere, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing I like the best are the people I am working with. Amazing Team spirit and energy. Tremendous support from upper management.

Cons

Working for a corporate company has more layers than I was used to. Especially when having to get things done like purchasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. You made me feel so comfortable coming in as a new hire.

3. "What you need it to be"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started 5 years ago. I was 225 pounds and toured a club looking for membership. Working minimum wage, I couldn't afford the then $80 monthly fee. The sales consultant took pity on me, left to get the manager, and she came back and offered me a part time gig cleaning locker rooms two nights a week, with a free membership. I completed my first shift 6 days later.
    After a few months I was cross trained with front desk staff so I could cover breaks. Shortly after I was promoted to front desk Supervisor.
    I was able to maintain my full time job while working here. Then I became a manager at my full time job. I stepped down to part time front desk, one shift per week. I was given support by all of my club managers that they were sorry to see me less, but thrilled at me taking advantage of a good opportunity.
    Two years later, my other company closed my location. My commute became too difficult to continue.

I reached out to previous managers in TSI and within a week I had full time status again. Three weeks later I was promoted to front desk Supervisor once more. Two months after that, I interviewed for a Customer Service Manager position. I have since enjoyed management roles at 2 additional locations.

In 5 years with this company, I have worked 6 positions at 5 locations. I have been given support at every turn, and truly been able to foster my passion for Fitness. And, I've maintained a 75 pound weight loss!
    I have reached, and continue to reach, my goals with TSI.

Cons

The only lackluster piece is our pay structure. Certain managers are given the opportunity to bonus on revenue and sales, but Customer Service Managers can no longer bonus on retention or other metrics they are ranked on. At it's worst, this isn't a deal breaker, just an annoyance.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering, developing, and growing from within.
    As finances continue to grow, consider a bonus structure for all management levels. Passion for Fitness is why we work HERE, but at the end of the day we all work to pay the bills.

4. "Counselor"

Pros

fun, flexible schedule, great bosses

Cons

there are no cons to this job

"Growth/development opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth is unlimited in this company. They take high interest in internal development and offer many resources to advance (classes, mentors, programs and immersion plans). There is opportunity to grow in every department based on performance and work ethic. TSI has proven to reward those who are committed no matter your role/position. This company is great for anyone looking to further their skill set, and be challenged daily to grow on all metrics. Highly team orientated and a positive culture towards improving ourselves, and or member experience.

Cons

A highly demanding company for performance and meeting/exceeding metrics. This position may not be a fit for you if you are looking to disconnect after work hours/weekends.

Advice to Management

Creativity is highly welcomed and encouraged to help grow your business. This is not a 9-5 job- it takes around the clock dedication and commitment to your team- the results are very rewarding for those who are “all in”. Be yourself and never say no to an idea/proposition (sometimes those are the best outcomes).

6. "TSI Life"

Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

-Great community and work environment.
    -Ability to grow and develop from any role into a bigger one(people have started as welcome team or personal trainer and grow into Business Directors over time)
    -Full benefits for full time employees.
    -Culture is based on developing actions and behaviors that make people successful.
    -Ability to help others grow and succeed.
    -Large network.
    -Get to work and live an active lifestyle.

Cons

-Have to be willing to put the work in to be successful(the more efficient you work, the faster things get done)
    -CEO does not know anything about the fitness industry
    - Sometimes feels like we are playing college ball and not in the pros because of the systems/people in place at high levels that are holding the company back.
    -Not a ton of leads generated by corporate marketing.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify and focus on individuals with high growth potential. For those GMs that do not get the job done(there are more than a handful) phase them out or into smaller positions for less pay. Get the business directors aligned to all be on a similar system. They all operate differently(I have had 5 at this point).

7. "TSI"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great sense of teamwork from all levels, cares about your individual development, opportunities for growth, pay is competitive, positive work atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes I wish there were more hours in a day to accomplish certain tasks but being busy does make the day fly by!

Advice to Management

With the right employees in place and a positive attitude throughout your club, your location will be a place everyone wants to be a part of. If those qualities are lacking, it will impact the atmosphere for your members and prospects.

8. "Staff Accountant"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career!

Cons

it was hard to commute to elmsford office

9. "It is an excellent environment to work with plenty of opportunity."

Current Employee - Lead Trainer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Trainer in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are Rewards for your performance based on production and overall long term growth. There is opportunity for upward mobility

Cons

Club level challenges are sometimes difficult to resolve but with help from management, they can be quickly dealt with accordingly.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns

10. "Member Care Representative"

Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Springfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Springfield, NJ

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, young staff, helpful and supportive team members, and free membership

Cons

Low wage. You start at minimum wage and the next wage increase is very minimal.

Advice to Management

Increase starting hourly rate