Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Patrick Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Make own schedule, free gym membership (in 137 reviews)

• Flexible hours, Free gym membership, employees/managers friendly (in 130 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance could be better (in 32 reviews)

• Low pay, little to no breaks even with a 6 hour shift (in 32 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

The work environment is amazing. The new senior management team is leading the company in the right direction.

Cons

Your always working, even when you are off. Sometimes it feels lie certain things take forever to get completed while others are immediate. Overall there isn't too much to be upset about.

Advice to Management

Keep up the current trend. A lot of changes are happening and I believe them all to be for the better. I am a HUGE supporter of Tim K, Alex A, & Marty A.

2. "Honest."

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in New York, NY

Pros

Full-time instructors receive full benefits.

Cons

The facilities are no-frills and although there is paid vacation, it's only 5 days.

Raises aren't given in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

The group exercise department was better managed with the system in place when A. Donelly was in charge of it.

3. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dobbs Ferry, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Dobbs Ferry, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Two Words: Billy Goda. Best leader I have ever worked for and I learned a tremendous amount from him. If you are interested in being a personal trainer, this is the place to go. You have to be willing to put in the work and listen! Billy helps place on the right career path and gives you the tools and knowledge you need to succeed along the way. This is a great team to be a part of as you are surrounded by friendly co-workers and in a positive working environment. I would recommend the NYSC in Dobbs Ferry to any trainer that is willing to learn and put in the work.

Cons

Not a great source of income in the early stages, so you need to build your business right away!

4. "Great Place to work! Great Boss, Flexible Hours, Good Pay for what i was doing!"

Pros

Friendly Staff and Clients everyone seems to want to be there and it is a very laid back enviroment

Cons

None I can think of!

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing

5. "Great management support team."

Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plug and play system for a easy success track.

Cons

The inability of the sales team to build value around the multiple aspects of training offered at TSI that beats out their competitors.

Advice to Management

Increase the focus on personal training and leverage the market. TSI has a solid foundation in regards to systems but the first point of contact is not versed enough to demonstrate the true value of training so that the prospect buys on that value first and then the club.

6. "A great company who is ready to take it to the next level."

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Who doesn't want to improve lives through exercise? Great mission and excellent group of employees to accomplish it. Opportunity for advancement and growth within the company both upward and to other departments.
    New COO who has a good opportunity to make changes to the organization and culture.

Cons

Benefits could be better. More team building opportunities.

Advice to Management

More specific and personal celebration of individual contributions from senior leadership. And bring back the strong Learning and Development culture!

7. "Growth and opportunity"

Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started at NYSC as a new trainer looking to find a job I enjoyed - That was 8 years ago. Now, I have fun career as a Fitness manager at a successful club in NYC. I owe great thanks to the learning & development program, and the leadership team the company has developed. Through that my careerI has grown beyond my early expectations. They really do a solid job of setting high expectations but giving you the tools to achieve them. Great team support, financially rewarding, and a quick track to management.

Cons

It's really up to you - If you want to be successful they will show you the way.

Advice to Management

Love the learning and development aspect of what we do. Keep on it!

8. "Opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting industry. Company product and mission are meaningful. It feels good to know we are helping people meet their fitness goals. The company has multiple locations and markets allowing for movement to different locations and positions. Fast paced work environment.Great opportunity for growth and development. Strong promote from within culture.

Cons

Benefits plans can be enhanced (lower premiums and co-pays, expanded coverage). Consistency in compensation plans.

Advice to Management

Connect with the clubs; get to know the teams. Reward and recognize results and the right behaviors. Invest in training.

9. "Party coordinator"

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Great experience working with children, good tips, easy job

Cons

If working many hours sometimes there is no break.

"Excellent Environment"

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

Pros

Team members in the corporate office are very willing to partner with each other to foster creativity, implement and see a project through. People truly are living the mission statement of the company and care about fitness and improving lives through exercise.

Cons

There is a process for everything which can take time. Ultimately, it's to make sure that it will be truly beneficial to the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to team members in the field and lower level staff when moving in new directions.