Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Patrick Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Make own schedule, free gym membership (in 138 reviews)

• Flexible hours, Free gym membership, employees/managers friendly (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance could be better (in 32 reviews)

• Low pay, little to no breaks even with a 6 hour shift (in 32 reviews)

1. "General Manager"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time

Pros

Good entry level fitness management

Cons

Low pay
    Micro Managment
    You’ll learn what not to do as much as what you should

Advice to Management

More consistent 360 reviews and audits

2. "Love it"

Current Employee - Welcome Team
    Current Employee - Welcome Team

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think the culture has changed over the years and although it was hard at times, where we are heading is so exciting. I have a great team I work with and support to succeed is overwhelming. I love working for TSI and feel comfortable with the growth opportunities I have received and the potential to grow is still available.

Cons

Although the training is available, I don’t always know where to find what I need or I get different answers from different managers. I think that some managers need to be retrained because “different clubs have different policies” isn’t always true.

Advice to Management

More training for welcome team and other non manager roles would be helpful. Otherwise keep it up!

3. "Amazing hiring and training. Very impressed with the organization and talent"

Current Employee - General Manager in Woodmere, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in Woodmere, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing I like the best are the people I am working with. Amazing Team spirit and energy. Tremendous support from upper management.

Cons

Working for a corporate company has more layers than I was used to. Especially when having to get things done like purchasing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. You made me feel so comfortable coming in as a new hire.

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are often surrounded by great staff in the facility - beyond that there are None! Not even the free gym membership!

Cons

You work 24-7 for a terrible salary! No support and constant stress! This company is nothing short of disgraceful and incredibly dishonest! It constantly rips off its members and leaves the staff at locations to deal with the ramifications from members. It has cut entire departments to save on money and make the company look more profitable so it can be sold!

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at how you treat your employees - you are walking a fine line with your human resource practices and ending up massive class action law suit for harassment and bullying!

"Change is real. Change is different."

Current Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Finding staff and members that make the day easier. Seeing clients achieve their goals. That is truly all I can think of.

Cons

Pay, bonuses, commission, management, shady tactics done by corporate to smear employees, no true leadership at the front office. The company thinks that because sales were great in 2009 that sales should be good in 2017. Not the case. Things change. Business directors barely care about the clubs they manage as they are just here for the dollar. NYSC has become a SLIGHTLY better Planet Fitness.

Advice to Management

Stop comparing sales numbers and stats to previous years. Times change, demographics change, things change. Encourage great employees and treat the staff as if they matter. Develop employees that are worth it. Stop closing down departments because of penny pinching and bad company investments.

6. "What you need it to be"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started 5 years ago. I was 225 pounds and toured a club looking for membership. Working minimum wage, I couldn't afford the then $80 monthly fee. The sales consultant took pity on me, left to get the manager, and she came back and offered me a part time gig cleaning locker rooms two nights a week, with a free membership. I completed my first shift 6 days later.
    After a few months I was cross trained with front desk staff so I could cover breaks. Shortly after I was promoted to front desk Supervisor.
    I was able to maintain my full time job while working here. Then I became a manager at my full time job. I stepped down to part time front desk, one shift per week. I was given support by all of my club managers that they were sorry to see me less, but thrilled at me taking advantage of a good opportunity.
    Two years later, my other company closed my location. My commute became too difficult to continue.

I reached out to previous managers in TSI and within a week I had full time status again. Three weeks later I was promoted to front desk Supervisor once more. Two months after that, I interviewed for a Customer Service Manager position. I have since enjoyed management roles at 2 additional locations.

In 5 years with this company, I have worked 6 positions at 5 locations. I have been given support at every turn, and truly been able to foster my passion for Fitness. And, I've maintained a 75 pound weight loss!
    I have reached, and continue to reach, my goals with TSI.

Cons

The only lackluster piece is our pay structure. Certain managers are given the opportunity to bonus on revenue and sales, but Customer Service Managers can no longer bonus on retention or other metrics they are ranked on. At it's worst, this isn't a deal breaker, just an annoyance.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering, developing, and growing from within.
    As finances continue to grow, consider a bonus structure for all management levels. Passion for Fitness is why we work HERE, but at the end of the day we all work to pay the bills.

7. "Counselor"

Pros

fun, flexible schedule, great bosses

Cons

there are no cons to this job

8. "Personal Trainer"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time

Pros

Really good staff to work with

Cons

Took a lot of the percentage

9. "Transitioning company"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Free health club access. Great pro.

Cons

Pay is just fine. Company is struggling. Uncertainty

10. "great environment - poor compensation"

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, building relationships with members, and fitness community

Cons

poor pay structure with constantly changing commissions