Town Sports International Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Town Sports International Holdings Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It is also great to have a free gym membership (in 76 reviews)

• Free gym membership included with access to all TSI facilities (in 66 reviews)

Cons

1. "Don't believe the hype! The positive reviews are fake trust me. Believe the negative there is no positive."

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing, there are no pros, but you get a free membership. I work in DC, come at me TSI

Cons

Everything, and the pay. Don't believe the hype! The positive reviews are fake trust me. Believe the negative there is no positive. I work in sales they cut pay but not the pressure.

Advice to Management

They won't listen, there out of touch

"Fitness Manager"

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, Sales process is well thought out and easy to implement. The staff I managed was exemplary; however I was the only manager in my gym that treated them with any respect.

Cons

Company culture is awful. They are so many layers of upper management that do nothing but look at numbers, repeat numbers and contribute absolutely nothing to the actual process. I came on board not knowing that the company's stock had nose dived and the solution was 1. "Labor Optimization" Fire people and make others do their jobs. 2. "Increase Sales" Raise goals; then try to attain them by the use of threatening, yelling and other fear tactics to scare employees into selling more. I was literally asked "Do you want me to give him a verbal punch in the face?" about one of my staff members. 3. "Reduce Operating Budgets" Under staff life guards, clean team and front desk and take break time out of their paychecks without giving breaks. Require trainers to work floor-time without paying them. I was told "Make life miserable for them" if they did not comply. Put off equipment repair. Don't obtain necessary pool license until you get caught without it and don't do pool upkeep despite lifeguards telling you that the pool is unsafe to swim in. 4. "Reduce Revenue Losses" Refuse all refunds no matter what the situation is and send every member requesting one to someone that does not have the authority to give it to them.

This was the all-time, worst company I have ever worked for. They have managed to appease the stock holders temporarily with these tactics by slightly increasing profit; however I anticipate the fall of this corporate giant if things do not turn around soon! Competition is already stealing all the trainers in the area where I worked by treating them better!

Advice to Management

Reduce the layers of upper management and replace the decision makers with those who have recently worked in front-line management positions. Pay attention to demographics and natural peaks and valleys in sales and set goals consistent to them. Give more in true value than you receive in monetary value. Make the prime importance of the company treating customers and employees with fairness and respect and your stock will increase effortlessly! Ask the front line producers what will help them succeed and follow what they say.

A friend gave me the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins and everything the author says killed businesses in the past is what this company is doing. Despite being neck to neck with their competitors and everyone flourishing, Collins details why some companies nose dived while others rose to the top. I have friends still working there and I honestly hope that the CEO reads this and thinks about it. I would hate to see a company that has so much potential go to its grave because the prime objective is "Take all you can get and give as little as you have to."

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership. Staff are nice and great to work with. Good networking with clients and staff
    There's not much good to say about this company.

Cons

Too many. Work optimization. Everyone is required to do 2-3 jobs. The CEO is out of touch with employees. Staff morale is at an all time low.

CEO needs to be In undercover boss. Your sales people will make or break your company.

Board shake up is needed to oust current CEO. He is the absolute worse.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales people. They are the bread and butter.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Smithtown, NY
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager in Smithtown, NY

Pros

You get to build strong relationships with people who you meet in the facility. Free gym membership and decent benefits are available for full time employees. Obviously you have a free gym membership and get a one hour break during your 8 hour shift. It is a great place for someone coming out of college to learn about and get experience in the fitness industry.

Cons

Management shifts are all over the place. For example, one day you may be working 8am-5pm and the next day you are working 12pm-9pm. Every day of the week is a different rotating shift so it is extremely hard to have a work life balance. You rarely (basically never) get two consecutive days off in a row, making it impossible to go on small trips out of state or travel. PTO is accrued but upper level managers will tell you when and when not to use it. You are advised not to take PTO during september and january since these are the busiest months of the year. The sales goals and quotas are cutthroat and unrealistically attainable. Revenue goals are projected based on if the business is growing however this does not always happen. Upper level managers will micromanage every aspect of your employment. 50 cold calls per day is the expectation for managers and salespeople. Upper level management will sometimes audit whether or not you made these phone calls or not. The company as a whole is cutting budget from departments such as the "welcome team" which is the front desk staff. Since these hours are cut from budget, as a manager you may be required to cover for front desk staff and at the same time be held to your high quotas and sales metrics regardless of how much extra work you had to perform as a result of the declining performance and massive budget cuts made by the company. Sales people do not make commission on sales unless the club hits member net gain. In other words, if the amount of membership cancellations exceeds the amount of membership sales, you will not be paid commission. The sales position in the club is the heart throb of the business and all other departments such as personal training rely on the membership counselors to bring in new business. These membership counselors are only making $9 an hour and do not make commission on sales unless the club is profitable. It is an extremely steep uphill battle for all positions in the club.

Advice to Management

Pay sales people commission. They need an incentive to bring in new business. It's common sense that if you're going to offer a performance based position that it should include commission. You are only causing a massive turnover rate that will not stop, and managers are being drained due to the budget cuts.

"Steadily going downhill"

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere.
    Great health benefits.

Cons

Constantly changing pay structure, no support form constantly having fly by night, untrained, management hired from the outside. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

When you have a great employee you should treat them as such. Management should be hired from within, not from the outside.

7. "Great place to start"

Former Employee - Fitness Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fitness Director in New York, NY

I worked at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to get started and learn the fitness industry. There is always room to advance.

Cons

Reactive management style. I feel they never let an idea or plan fully develop.

8. "Worst Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pro about working for the company is having a set schedule every month that rarely ever changes it's the only pro about the company.

Cons

The managers don't do their jobs , they'd rather put all the work on the employees that are beneath them. They barely want to pay you over time but always want you to come in to work whenever they need you even if you're sick or having an emergency. Their only focus is money. They don't care about members or their employees and the only people who get free parking are the managers who rarely ever come in. Also if u need employment verification they won't provide it they'll give you a busy number to call that is invalid.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

9. "Good pay, but hard to get paid and get clients"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Boston, MA

Pros

the revenue split for trainers is great, relative to most other gyms. you start off at 37% then can earn anywhere between 43% and 55% once you get level 2 (40 or 65 sessions a month I don't know what it is currently)

Cons

There are many ways in which you get screwed out of money. When someone signs up to train with you, you aren't guaranteed the money unless every session is delivered in the 30 day period. Sometimes clients skip or forget, then you get NOTHING for that hour.

Advice to Management

Pay trainers based on the revenue they produce. If the trainers are trying to screw clients out of sessions, give them warnings, then fire them.

10. "Clean team manager"

Current Employee - Clean Team Manager in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Clean Team Manager in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership and great atmosphere if you love working out

Cons

No help from staff and pay is horrible for the workload, too far away from my home working for metro card

Advice to Management

Kick out rudes members and pay the employees better

"Good if you love to work at a great gym, not great pay"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gym membership to all network gyms in east coast. Not a lot of supervision. Can set own hours.
    Trainers paid well - no one else though....

Cons

Pay rate seems good but with cancellations and schedule gaps, it is really low pay and working for a lower rate but with guaranteed hours would be better.
    Have to purchase own swim suits, fleeces with logos
    Benefits are terrible - most people use spouse benefits or are young and don't go to doctors.
    Management is really unappreciative of swim staff
    Pool is not always properly balanced - temperature changes, chemicals, etc.
    Lifeguards are treated horrendously and not given breaks.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of all staff. I have worked there for 5 years and the new managers never even introduce themselves even though I bring in all my own clients.