Townsquare Interactive Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Townsquare Interactive President Tim Pirrone
Tim Pirrone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most of the people who work there are really nice (in 6 reviews)

• The culture and work environment is very fun and always exciting (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • ll have a massive (and I mean massive) book of business which is difficult to manage and a manager breathing down your neck to make sure you (in 5 reviews)

• Its a great place for younger professionals but not as much for more mature professionals (in 5 reviews)

1. "Be a hunter"

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you put in a few extra hours of prospecting per week you should do very well. Aim for 80-100 dials/day. Good management/teammates who will help if you show you care and work hard

Cons

If you want a 9-5 where you're just calling leads already in the CRM life will be tough and inefficient

"Inside Sales"

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in this company were excellent. They used to hire amazing people who were driven, hard working and it used to be a lot of fun to be in that environment. Management (depending on your manager and director) is pretty great. They are under a lot of pressure and sometimes don't do a good job advising you how to make sales.

Cons

Now they're just hiring to fill seats. It's beyond frustrating to watch the high turn over and ever since they took away quotas the company has suffered.

The entire job is dialing the phone and trying to get frustrated business owners to speak to you. They often use best case senarios as examples and I had a lot of clients not benefit from our services which was frustrating.

There is also no prospecting done for the sales rep, you have to use your own time (outside of work) to prospect. Many times management will say we are giving you time during the day but if you're not dialing the phone they email you with your dials or talk time asking why you are behind.

The job is frustrating, the new hires are not up to par and I highly suggest looking elsewhere. They've also changed the compensation package on commission which really hurts reps who are having a bad month.

You do not get promoted quickly. Sure they hire from within but turnover is so high that new teams are not created often so don't expect promotions.

Advice to Management

Be consistent and understanding. Just because you are good at this job doesn't mean it's a piece of cake. And 90% of the manager's came into this job before the industry was saturated. These business owners get multiple calls a day from companies like TSI. Work on prospecting for your reps.

"Inside Sales Representative"

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture with managers who genuinely care about their people. High level management gets involved with each person and works with you to make you better and advance your career. Uncapped commission rewards you for every deal you make, and the changes to the new comp plan make it so you make the money you want to work for. Fun atmosphere in uptown Charlotte with team building games weekly (just completed a March Madness tournament between sales and service last week). If you are looking for a place to get a strong sales foundation, in a growing industry, with managers who care, then this is the place for you.

Cons

The job is hard- no one denies that. From the initial phone interview, to the training, no one tries to hide that the job can be a challenge- but the reward is definitely there!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people!

4. "Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really fun place to work. Management is very supportive, open and uplifting. Does everything to help their employees succeed. Advancement opportunities are available. Owner is very transparent and forthright with his employees and always encouraging us to try harder.

Cons

Its a great place for younger professionals but not as much for more mature professionals. You will also have to be okay with the occasional noise of the gong when someone makes a sale.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. "Best Career Choice I ever Made"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Voted Best Places to Work in Charlotte 2 years in a row,. Ability to provide a superior product/service, great financial incentives for success, great benefits, constant coaching/training, great PTO so employees do not get burnt, great contest incentives (trips, electronics, etc...), Promotions from within, 6 figure opportunity for top sellers. Casual Dress.

Cons

Uptown Parking is the only possible con, but Townsquare also reimburses a portion of this cost so its not a real con.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the ultimate value you have been providing.

"Culture and Money"

Current Employee - National Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - National Inside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Townsquare has a convenient uptown location on a 10 year lease. You will get a nice refurbished laptop. All the coffee and tea you can drink. New hire breakfasts and company meet and greets in the am before deliberate practice (dp). Chance to spend a weekend in New York with your significant other. Company trip to Jamaica for top performing sales based on total annual revenue. If you are not happy working at your local big box store, bar, burger joint coffee shop or you recently decided to take a break from high school or college...Townsquare will hire you!

Cons

A 10 year lease is only good if you can pay the rent every month. 200+ people share 2 coffee pots, 2 refrigerators, 3 microwaves and 6 breakroom tables. If Townsquare is offering or inviting employees to breakfast, lunch or after hours happy hour...it's for 20 people not 200+. If you find using the f-word offensive, unprofessional and totally unnecessary in most morning and afternoon team meetings Townsquare is not for you. There is no training manual. High employee turnover. Coaches make more than players...managers make six-figure income if the team hits quota. Backwards mentality players always make more than coaches!Managers and leadership do not communicate clear, consistent expectations other than follow the process and sell(wow that's novel). It's really a start up using very inexperienced managers to lead a misguided leadership plan of fear and be grateful that Townsquare Interactive chose you mentality The culture is negativity. Morning dps are very negative and physically exhausting. I'm a top performer month after month with Townsquare and the negative culture is mentally taxing.

Advice to Management

It is an outbound cold call! The job itself is negative enough, so be creative in how you inspire. Townsquare Interactive Executive Leadership and managers need to provide positive constructive feedback to build strong sales agents. Don't tear them down or turn them off by using curse words because you lack a creative and constructional vocabulary. Do not just talk about what, how and why Townsquare is successful. Sit sales agents with operations personnel and operations personnel with sales agents and test them on understanding both sides of the process before a new hire "goes live"! That's all you'll get for free from me. Townsquare Media should hire a consultant and fast...company closure is inevitable if you don't start seeking advice from those outside the Townsquare Interactive Team! Downgrade your space and buy the building! Stop bashing Yodle and other marketing companies and market Townsquare's true strengths, if any. Townsquare Interactive Executive Team, from the president to Human Resources, need to check there egos at the door and realize Townsquare Interactive is not one of the best places to work! Live a title and don't just hang it on your neck!

Nov 15, 2016 – Head of Sales

Thanks for your feedback. We pride ourselves on a close-knit, hardworking, and passionate work environment where we do everything in our power to help our employees succeed.

Our sales management... More

"Best Place To Work In Charlotte!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Townsquare Interactive is an amazing place to work. The culture and work environment is very fun and always exciting. The job is challenging for all of the good reasons. The company has helped me develop myself personally and professionally. The best thing about the company is that they continue to give me opportunity for growth within the company. I have been promoted multiple times because of the tools, resources and training that they provide me every month. I highly recommend Townsquare Interactive to anyone that is looking for a job in sales that will pay them very well and give them the type of training to become a professional in this industry.

Cons

I honestly don't have any negative comments to make about Townsquare Interactive and if you come here you'll realize why I don't.

Oct 26, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

We love to hear that you enjoy the company culture and have been able to thrive in this environment. Thanks so much for the great review!

"Nothing short of a sweat shop."

I worked at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any. The salary isn't even worth it. This was a major step back on my career. When you work here and try to go on interviews for other jobs the first thing the interviewer asks is what goes on over there and why is their turnover so bad.

Cons

This whole company is a joke. They hire anyone, and I mean anyone. From pregnant tweens to retired grandmas. They just want bodies to fill their desks and try to make the job appear to be something it is not. They insist on having team meetings every single morning in which they do nothing other than teach you how to bash one of their competitors (yodle) to the point they brought up a law suit.. and still they continue to only teach new reps to prospect and bash them. Mangers pick their favorites and feed them leads while everyone else is left to find their own. Don't bother asking your manager for leads even if you qualify because you won't get any if you aren't favorited. If you look at the tops sales reps and their sales every month, 99% of their deals were leads. It's impossible to respect the senior sales reps when they walk around all high and mighty acting like they're better than you when all they can close is leads. It's actually sickening how unfair management is. They would rather hand all the leads to the lazy favorites that do no cold calling or prospecting on their own then help a rep that makes a 100 calls a day and is struggling. It is not the best place to work in Charlotte no matter how many times they get named it. Marketing sends out emails with the survey every day telling you to take it and your managers sit there and tell you what to say on it so they can win the title. Reps come in and then disappear. No one lasts long here. Do yourself a favor and just run.

Advice to Management

Stop handing out leads to your favorites. Pass them out equally to every single rep. Or else you will never be able to keep a rep for longer than a couple months.

Oct 26, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you feel that way! We are thrilled to have grown from 38 employees to over 300 in 4 years as a result of our employees who choose to stay not because they... More

"Inside Sales"

I have been working at Townsquare Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After reading some of the reviews I felt like I had to write a review. TSI is an awesome place to work. It's Inside Sales you have to work hard and when you do you get paid great commissions, 70% in fact. We just had a meeting about how many promotions we've had and now we are promoting sales people again into management. I'm putting my name in!
    It's face paced, fun, managers are learning (because they were recently promoted) but are great!
    If your looking for a great sales career with a ton of opportunity then this is the place.

Cons

There are no real cons, I do wish that we had more lead lists, but we are hiring tons of SDR's which has been great. Just more opportunity for us and for entry level sales reps that want to get into sales.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, keep being transparent and hiring management from within! Hire more SDR's so we can have more leads!

"Worked in Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Townsquare Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

The sales process is helpful. One of the floor managers is really good at his job, so if you're lucky enough to end up on his team you'll be in good hands. There's a lot of space in the new office.

Cons

You're basically working in a boiler room. I actually don't mind that experience, but it's how you're treated by management that made this the worst place I've worked. It's true it was voted one of the top places to work in Charlotte, but so was one of TSI's main competitors, and everyone at TSI trashes them.

You are nothing but a number to upper management.. Especially at the end of the month, when everyone is scrambling to hit quota. The stress level turns up a few notches, because if you miss quota you take the chance of being fired. Sure, that's like many sales jobs and it comes with the territory, but I've seen them give up on a lot of good people after a very short amount of time.

To demonstrate that the only thing you're based on is numbers, there are emails that go out every day showing every employee in the company and whether or not they're "compliant" with their KPIs. They use it as a motivator, but I can tell you that I was a pretty solid performer at TSI, and I found that email was intimidating and gave my coworkers the big brother effect. If you want to work for a company that runs by intimidation, TSI is a good place to start.

Other cons:
    -No leads are provided, and no it is not normal in 2016 to have a tech company operate 100% on outbound leads.
    -Don't expect to be able to take any time off of work, even if you're sick, without being shamed.
    -Be prepared for the end of the month. This is when management starts panicking and stress levels go through the roof.
    -You'll spend a lot of time doing DPs that just waste your time. If they were actually helpful, these would be valuable, but they're usually another way to intimidate by having you roleplay in front of the entire company. If you don't do well, you'll be publicly chided by upper management.
    -The account management team is mostly made out of fresh college graduates who have never had to handle a customer before, so you end up with a lot of customer issues because of their inexperience.

Advice to Management

I was one of your top performers and I left in good standing, yet this is how I felt every day. Doesn't that make you want to change? Instead of defending the way you operate, why not pledge to change?

Jul 20, 2016 – Head of Sales

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry that your experience at Townsquare Interactive did not match our intention of being the best place you have ever worked. With this being... More