Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Krinock

Cons

1. "Production Engineering specialist"

Pros

Great work ethics, excellent compensation including vacation and health benefits. Great team to work for.

Cons

Long work hours, Rigid management structure

Advice to Management

Management structure is too rigid for growth.

2. "Engineer"

I have been working at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada full-time

Pros

Good Culture, Good People Good Benefits

Cons

Management, demanding boss, work life balance

3. "company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay and good ppl

Cons

takes a long time before you become a full time employee

Advice to Management

none

5. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good compensation
    Job security
    Non union environment

Cons

Work and life balance
    Stressful environment
    Limited advancement opportunity

Advice to Management

Treat team members with respect and this is led by examples from top down.

"Poor workplace with little respect for employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

Pros

Salary is fair, not much else.

Cons

Awful work environment, little work life balance, and total blatant disregard for employee confidentiality.

The extremely open concept environment means that voices travel, so everyone in every department can hear HR discussing employees. They used first and last names, employee numbers, discussed personal issues and legal matters, and would even openly make fun of employees. There are no walls and few computer screen covers. I was told to just flip over any paper with personal information on it, and sometimes even that didn't happen. I have never worked in an HR environment with such disregard for privacy and where openly disparaging comments are made.

The open environment also means that you hear everyone around you. You are also not allowed to use headphones (due to some manufacturing floor policy that somehow also applies to the office area), so you are stuck listening to everyone's conversation. I found this incredibly distracting and detrimental to my job performance.

I had very little contact with my supervisor, and colleague that trained me was fairly new. Supervisor even admitted he had no idea what our group did.

Many processes were completely redundant, to the point where it seemed as though my coworkers were almost creating busywork for themselves. Surprisingly resistant to new ideas despite constant chatter about "kaizen." When I asked my colleague why certain processes were the way they were even though they were tedious, repetitive and nonsensical, she replied with "I don't know, that's how it's always been done." When I tried to improve them, I was met with heavy resistance and almost panic. So much for kaizen.

Many HR processes are still done on paper. I don't think I even need to point out how much of a waste of time and resources this is.

Overtime is constant, and expected from you. The phrase "work smarter, not harder" does not seem to apply here.

The recruitment process was painfully bad and I ended up being given a job that was not the one I was told I was being offered.

Advice to Management

Upgrade from the 1980's processes and policies, critically examine what your employees are doing instead of endless overtime for busywork, put up some walls around HR, and work on your recruitment process.

"Great summer job"

Current Employee - Summer Student in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Summer Student in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a student the money is excellent, I've paid for my entire undergrad from working here. You get weekends and shutdown off. The training is excellent, the company over all is really good to all employees. If you can't work nights don't even bother because you will hate it. They take the time to really ensure that the students feel comfortable. I'm very lucky to have gotten to work here the past few years and it's a company I hope to gain permanent employment in the future.

Cons

Shift work can be difficult, summer can get hot in the plant. Work life balance can be difficult sometimes. Other than that nothing.

8. "Large Organization"

Pros

work environment, culture, benefits

Cons

lots of process, sense of entitlement

9. "Not bad for summer job"

Former Employee - Summer Student Team Member in Woodstock, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Summer Student Team Member in Woodstock, ON (Canada)

I worked at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent for a summer job, I worked in quality control so the work wasn't too bad either

Cons

Long hours and rotating shifts get tiring. The work is also monotonous and the time to complete tasks decreases while the amount of work that needs to be completed per task increases

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, if they say it can't be done in that time then it possibly can't. Steps can get missed if employees are forced to complete a task without enough given time

10. "Quality Control Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Quality Control Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Control Engineer

I worked at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (More than a year)

Pros

•Freedom to manage my own tasks
    •Challenging tasks, forced me to come up with detailed plans
    •Colleagues are usually supportive and friendly
    •Breakfast and lunch are cheap and good

Cons

•Long hours
    •Frequently got confused as to what I should work on, lack of direction
    •Occasionally required to do simple jobs such as double checking other people's work

Advice to Management

•Gave interns a plant tour during HR training
    •Gave interns radios so that they can communicate with other employees more efficiently

11. "Maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance Team Member in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Team Member in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good money and good time off. Expectations are rock bottom so no need to worry about anybody expecting you to do anything. Pension good if you're on the old system.

Cons

Some of the worst management I've ever worked for. Unqualified plumbers in positions like assistant manager do not motivate or develop their people. No direction, no motivation, no clue.

Advice to Management

Treat your trades people like trades people. We're skilled and professional, we don't need to be treated like children. Also, hold management accountable for their actions.