Toyota North America Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance initiatives are BS" (in 88 reviews)

• "Long hours, Alot of presure put on salesman to close deals" (in 85 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company who truly cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Toyota offers their employees competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and tons of onsite amenities meant to encourage a healthy work/life balance, fitness, etc. Most importantly, when they say that respect for people is a core pillar of the Toyota Way, they mean that. I've been with this company my whole career (started as an intern and was hired on full time almost 5 years ago), and have no plans to leave any time soon. I'd recommend Toyota to any family member or friend.

Cons

As with any large corporation, decision making can be a process at times, with many layers of approvals needed.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your team members and give them the autonomy to make decisions and learn.

2. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Production in Buffalo, WV
    Current Employee - Production in Buffalo, WV

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay great benefits. Good work environment

Cons

Long hours and hard to get hired full time

3. "Hard work and long hours but can be rewarding under the right manager."

Current Employee - Senior Calibration Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Calibration Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is acceptable and bonuses are nice.

Cons

Difficult to get ahead. Good managers are tough to find.

"Big Name Company, Little People Mentality"

Current Employee - Lexus Customer Satisfaction in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Lexus Customer Satisfaction in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Larger than life brand/company, lots of career options.
    -Headquarters campus is very nice, good food options.
    -Quality and reliable products.
    -Good pay and benefits.

Cons

-Everything is talk, no action.
    -Favoritism. If Management doesn't like you, you get stuck in your position.
    -No internal movement.
    -Traditional organization, we talked about being innovative and being the best but we were very behind other brands technology wise. Also the technology we offer is very subpar compared to the rest of the industry which is disappointing considering how much people love Toyota/Lexus.
    -HR as usual does not protect the employees, they allow unfair treatment by management. However, this is the complete opposite of what they tell you when you come to the company. HR is worthless and will not protect you.
    -Culture (Respect for People) is not truly reflected across all departments.
    -Your experience with Toyota depends on what department you are in which makes them inconsistent.
    -They tell you they care about your feedback but when you give it, you become a target.
    -They will tell you they aren't but are TYPICAL CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!
    -Managers do whatever they want without regard to their teams. "Policy" changes often so process are inconsistently followed.
    -No development from management.
    -Management is under qualified and clueless on their jobs which is why the departments have no consistency.
    -Ridiculous and unrealistic metrics.
    -You are treated like a preschooler and not an adult.
    -No accountability for unfair treatment.

Advice to Management

-Stop the favoritism!!!! Let your people do what you hired them to do, don't just talk about being innovative and being a family, actually be it! Toyota overall is a great company but the people you have placed in Management are keeping the company from reaching it's full potential. The culture is suffering because of all of the negative and unfair treatment going on across the company. Also, step up the technology in the vehicles, and stop half doing things because it's bringing down the brand. Put the right people in Management positions instead of just being about who you know because some of the people in these positions are not only undeserving but they are also unqualified. God bless you all! I hope it gets better.

5. "Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and lots of opportunity to work with local charities. Also lots of bright people.

Cons

If you get a bad manager, it can ruin your life. Not a lot of accountability for some manager's treatment of their people.

6. "Master Data Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, comfort, company values work life/balance

Cons

Very traditional, slow moving, limited opportunity and very top heavy management style

Advice to Management

Be open to innovation, quicker software releases

"Laid back working environment, no room for growth."

I worked at Toyota North America full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, new campus in Plano, decent insurance benefits

Cons

There are no structured development programs, so it is very difficult to switch departments or move up in the company. Promotions seemed to be based on years of service, not who is most capable. You can get stuck in the same job for many years if not constantly seeking new opportunities.

They like to preach their core values of “Respect for People”, but don’t offer benefits like paid paternity leave that are becoming standard at most large companies. Vacation time and employee vehicle program are much worse than other automotive OEMs.

Advice to Management

Create structured development programs that allow your employees to rotate between departments and have a clearer career path. Live your values and enhance benefits to offer expanded paternity and maternity leave.

"Good Job, Difficult Management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive.
    People are nice and have a loyalty to the company.
    Benefits are good.
    I truly believe Akio/Top Managers want to lead the industry as "mobility" becomes the next chapter of the industry.
    The focus on volunteerism and making a long term commitment to the communities in which Toyota operates.
    Working level folks have been actively bridging the TEMA/TMS silos and trying to work together after the relocation.

Cons

Management can suck the life out of entire workgroups. 1 or 2 people complaining out of 20 is one thing. 17-18 out of 20 complaining about the same specific traits is a pattern.

Bureaucracy for spending money, issuing documents, or organizing meetings can be incredibly high. Being mindful of company money when traveling (20%-30% of the time, 8-12x/yr domestic/international for a total of $20k-$30k spend) but getting denied $300 worth of tools because a manager is obsessed about all of their specific budget categories (while being under budget by ~50%!) is a very demotivating experience.

Management has remained fairly siloed between TEMA/TMS. They're working to bridge it, so, mostly a complaint about the current status vs working level.

Advice to Management

Please, please find a way to gently pushback against things that don't make sense. Saving $100 in a budget category that's overspent by $50 by hiding $10,000 somewhere that is under spent by $75,000 is stupid. Be willing to teach or pushback against an executive when their request represents a massive workload for no perceived tangible benefit (or atleast explain the request's purpose to staff to prevent burnout).

Realize that you're a manager for the company overall. Finding a way to maximize your headcount/minimize your budget spend by putting a 5x burden on another part of the company is not a win. Please put the interest of the company above your specific and barely noticed KPI. Spending $1 out of your budget to save $10 at an NAMC is worth it and you should be willing to explain the overage should it come up. Please don't focus on your overtime budget (which is underspent) while treating another department's employees as "free".

I really, really want you guys to do well. I think Toyota can be a force for good but my small corner of the company is experiencing dysfunction that makes it hard to stay motivated.

9. "Accounting Anaylst"

Former Employee - Accounting in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, average pay, opportunity for advancement

Cons

None at this time. Thanks

"Toyota is a great place to work if you want to retire....not if you want to grow"

Former Employee - Virtual User Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Virtual User Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Toyota has some of the best benefits I have ever seen at a company. The lease car alone is a huge plus and managers and above get a stipend for a lease car. This essentially allows for a free car for managers and above. I have the most expensive medical plan and it costs me roughly $75 a month. I am single with no dependents. Retirement plan is pretty decent. Not the best but still good.

The people at Toyota truly do care about the company. They want to see it succeed. Management have an loyalty to the company that I have not seen anywhere else. Mostly this works out for good. What Toyota is doing as a whole company is pretty inspiring . When you see Akio talking about mobility it is exciting. The company as a whole is doing some very interesting things with mobility and connected world.

Toyota does amazing things for the community. The partnerships they have with community and the sheer number of volunteer opportunities is the best I have ever seen from a company. People inside Toyota care about making a difference in the community and it is built into the culture. Also the business partnering groups are diverse and give employees other opportunities to use their talents.

Cons

Toyota is not a good place to be innovative. They talk about it all the time but everything is marred in red tape. The bureaucracy and politics at Toyota are the absolute worst I have ever seen. I work in the IT department and in order to get a basic server it takes at least 4 approvals and then about a 2 weeks to work itself through the system. The discussions of SCRUM and Agile are all talk. They have just changed the names and do the same type of workflow. The largest complaint is that team members are unable to properly do their jobs because all of the IT operations are outsourced to a third party company. Toyota is extremely, extremely siloed. If you are a technical person who wants to be hands on then I would highly recommend not applying at Toyota. Team member positions are mostly glorified project managers. You will just be managing projects and give requirements to other teams to do the job that more than likely you can do yourself but cannot do because they will not give you access.

Advice to Management

Let your team members do their jobs. Stop blocking them with useless red tape and bureaucracy. You are going to continue to lose talented people for better more technical jobs if there is not major change in your work processes.

Toyota North America Response

Sep 5, 2018 – Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience here. We're happy to hear you find our culture of doing what's right and our vision for the future of mobility inspiring. Innovation is embedded in our culture... More

Showing 773 of 1,601 reviews