Toyota North America Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance initiatives are BS" (in 88 reviews)

• "Long hours and hard to get hired full time" (in 86 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company who truly cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Toyota offers their employees competitive salaries, a great benefits package, and tons of onsite amenities meant to encourage a healthy work/life balance, fitness, etc. Most importantly, when they say that respect for people is a core pillar of the Toyota Way, they mean that. I've been with this company my whole career (started as an intern and was hired on full time almost 5 years ago), and have no plans to leave any time soon. I'd recommend Toyota to any family member or friend.

Cons

As with any large corporation, decision making can be a process at times, with many layers of approvals needed.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your team members and give them the autonomy to make decisions and learn.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job security. Good people. Good benefit.

Cons

Workload is high, manager is bery demanding.

3. "Sr.Residual Risk Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Toyota has done a great job on diversity and awesome benefits.

Cons

Lack of minorities particularly African American on the upper management roles

4. "Executive Office Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. The company set the tone for a good working culture. pay and benefits are at base with other companies with extra perks with a great vehicle lease program for employees.

Cons

The moved out of California.

Advice to Management

Opportunities are there,

"Mid-level management"

Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was better in California than in it's new home of Texas, but it is very diverse and activley promotes D&I and employee protections. We have genuine pride in our products because we know they are high quality and we know we are leading the industry in so many fields. Our customer service really tries to always do best by our customers. We have beautiful new headquarters.

Cons

It is located in Plano, Texas. At least DFW is nearby and offers many flights to other places with better weather and activities. They are cutting budgets all the time and we are required to do more with much less. Temp help has all been but eliminated in some areas. Benefits are also at risk. Rather than embracing work trends such as remote work days or 9/80 work schedules, Toyota is reverting to old-school work styles. The open floor plan is too open - noise level is high.
    It is also very difficult to recruit well-educated, well-rounded local talent and more difficult to convince top talent to move to Texas.

Advice to Management

Loyalty and happiness is still there for many who made the move, but it is slipping - and fast. Management needs to understand that higher goals coupled with lower budgets and a huge loss of knowledge when so many didn't move to Texas and many who did took new jobs, is not a recipe for success.

6. "Great pay."

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great. My group leader was awesome. The training was very good.

Cons

Mandatory overtime and rotating shifts.

7. "Consultant Review"

Current Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve found the work at Toyota to be challenging yet fun for the most part. The benefits are also great, company matches up to 4% in 401k (you have to contribute 6% for this match). For those joining in the last few years that don’t get the pension are able to take advantage of an additional 5% company contribution towards 401k, even if you do not contribute.

The campus is huge and there is a large gym with clean facilities. Overall the company has a soul and cares about its employees and customers deeply.

Cons

Cafeteria and campus cafes are pricy! Your manager matters. Some can be great mentors and give you lots of opportunities to learn and grow, others are more concerned with climbing the ladder rather than leading.

Advice to Management

Don’t overlook and leave your hardworking employees that have contributed greatly to your success in the dark. These are your future leaders so it is important to keep these employees engaged.

"Big Name Company, Little People Mentality"

Current Employee - Lexus Customer Satisfaction in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Lexus Customer Satisfaction in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Larger than life brand/company, lots of career options.
    -Headquarters campus is very nice, good food options.
    -Quality and reliable products.
    -Good pay and benefits.

Cons

-Everything is talk, no action.
    -Favoritism. If Management doesn't like you, you get stuck in your position.
    -No internal movement.
    -Traditional organization, we talked about being innovative and being the best but we were very behind other brands technology wise. Also the technology we offer is very subpar compared to the rest of the industry which is disappointing considering how much people love Toyota/Lexus.
    -HR as usual does not protect the employees, they allow unfair treatment by management. However, this is the complete opposite of what they tell you when you come to the company. HR is worthless and will not protect you.
    -Culture (Respect for People) is not truly reflected across all departments.
    -Your experience with Toyota depends on what department you are in which makes them inconsistent.
    -They tell you they care about your feedback but when you give it, you become a target.
    -They will tell you they aren't but are TYPICAL CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!
    -Managers do whatever they want without regard to their teams. "Policy" changes often so process are inconsistently followed.
    -No development from management.
    -Management is under qualified and clueless on their jobs which is why the departments have no consistency.
    -Ridiculous and unrealistic metrics.
    -You are treated like a preschooler and not an adult.
    -No accountability for unfair treatment.

Advice to Management

-Stop the favoritism!!!! Let your people do what you hired them to do, don't just talk about being innovative and being a family, actually be it! Toyota overall is a great company but the people you have placed in Management are keeping the company from reaching it's full potential. The culture is suffering because of all of the negative and unfair treatment going on across the company. Also, step up the technology in the vehicles, and stop half doing things because it's bringing down the brand. Put the right people in Management positions instead of just being about who you know because some of the people in these positions are not only undeserving but they are also unqualified. God bless you all! I hope it gets better.

Toyota North America Response

Oct 9, 2018 – Specialist

Thank you for your service with us and for providing your input. Professional development of our team members is at the core of everything we do. After all, if our people don’t grow, we cannot grow... More

"An Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Toyota North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing work environment and amenities. I have a great work/life balance and enjoy my coworkers. There is always a chance to learn and meet new people.

Cons

We sometimes suffer from big company syndrome, which can make it hard to do your job to the best of your capabilities.

Advice to Management

Become more open and flexible to a different way of doing things.

"Not The Best Place For Women #MeToo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Toyota North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prestigious company, good pay, good on resume, diversity, jobs around the country

Cons

I interned on a marketing team full of men. There was a lot of stuff going on but the manager ignored me most of the time I was there and the nasty consultant I was forced to work with looked at my chest every time he talked to me. I was uncomfortable and told my manager and all that happened afterwards was they kept making me work with the same jerk. He told me I was stupid when I asked for help and did not help me anymore. This was soooo toxic and I could never fully feel comfortable or good at work. It wasnt the best experience so to all the ladies out there, look for a place where you will be treated with dignity and respect because they have to be out there!!!!! And for all the men who are reading this you need to take a stand against demeaning women and fight it because otherwise you encourage it!!!! Don't work for Toyota #MeToo

Advice to Management

If you want to make this a good place for women stop sexual harassment and hostility!!!!!!

Showing 782 of 1,628 reviews