Tractor Supply Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Just cause the company has great standards doesn't mean the DM and SM keep to those standards for their team members (in 63 reviews)

• Can be overwhelmimg for beginners in customer service (in 42 reviews)

1. "Team Member"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Greenwood, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Greenwood, MS

I have been working at Tractor Supply part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, good pay, very reasonable hours

Cons

holiday hours suck, rude customers (sometimes)

"Start Young"

Current Employee - Team Member in Lancaster, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are the perks of the job. Good if you are young, they seem to only promote the young. Good benefits.

Cons

Low pay for hard work, don't give enough training, if your over 50 no matter what your experience they make excuses not to promote.

Advice to Management

Take more time to train new and current employees. Schedule more people at peak hours in which this you should KNOW as a manager. PROMOTE experience not youth. You want a great store watch who your customers like, not management!

3. "Great Pay & Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time

Pros

TSC provides competitive pay for positions and great benefits

Cons

Growth puts pressure on management that may cause them to skimp in the area of employee engagement.

Advice to Management

With large growth, management needs to be sure to stay focued on Team member engagement

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employees, fun , great customers

Cons

Not a good manager, very poor on scheduling and needed help with understanding when people were truly sick

5. "Team Lead"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Saint Marys, GA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Saint Marys, GA

I worked at Tractor Supply full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers help the day go by. The customers are enjoyable to assist. Hopefully these customers will continue to be patrons of TSC.

Cons

TSC is growing to fast. Being a publicly held company has triggered the greed effect of upper management. They have lost their core values. It's all about the bottom line and keep their share holders happy at any cost. The upward tic they are experiencing will end soon. They're are only so many Bullet Proof Manager " seminars you can send DMs to. It's all talk. There is no longer the caring atmosphere that there used to be regarding the hourly associates. Salaried management are only interested in their Bonus.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes. Remember, when you point a finger at someone, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you. Stop being so greedy.

6. "It was a very fun job"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Bismarck, ND
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Bismarck, ND

I worked at Tractor Supply part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a country girl so being in this environment was great I would have loved to stay at TSC but I went to school for Pharmacy Technician and was a single mother so scheduling just didn't work out.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about TSC it was a great time working for them and would not mid to be am employer for them again in the future

Advice to Management

I would have lived to stay with TSC if the scheduling would have worked out when two jobs were involved

"About as grueling as it gets"

Current Employee - Team Member in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Tractor Supply part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great, job isn't too bad (if you don't mind doing a pinch of every job in the store), and the customers are usually not too rude.

Cons

The schedule is terrible and always changing, district manager is rude to all workers under him, pushes all team members to the breaking point with crude remarks and comments about our efforts to meet sales when he won't let us hire more workers. They pay $8.00 hourly for fresh hires and then train them to do a hundred different things and expect them to stay after insulting their work effort. Some older customers think they know everything there is to know about the store and how it operates. Theft is common among the screws, nails, and bolts. This causes our shrink to add up over the month resulting in small losses we don't hear the end of.

Advice to Management

Instead of spitting on the people who help run your store, why don't you actually help with the labor and assist in making yourself look good. If you really think your employee's will lick your boots like you expect them to at $8.00/hr then you must not have the "What ever it takes, is what it takes!" mindset you love to hang all over your store. What it takes is hiring more workers to relieve stress, give a wage increase to the hard working, and to be a tad bit more polite to your workers. Oh, and fix the scheduling it's really a mess when it's on paper and changes twice a day. Thank you!

"Full time team member. Good job."

Current Employee - Team Member in Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Team Member in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My tractor had a great store manager, nice team members, and fun team leaders.
    Good benefits for full time employees like personal sick and vacation time as well as optional health, vision, and dental insurance.

Cons

High turn over for the assistant manager job.
    Corporate is going the way of Walmart, get more done with fewer people, the customer is always right even if they are obviously lying about something, and pushing employees to focus on their latest stupid trend instead of stocking and helping customers.
    And security is a joke.

Advice to Management

If corporate is going to continue to act more like Walmart, then they should invest more in store security. Like making sure store cameras are fully functional and place in optimal positions to catch faces and license plates. And/Or add a security position at stores that have the most shrink.

9. "Best retail experience I've had"

Former Employee - Team Member (Did IT All) in New Port Richey, FL
    Former Employee - Team Member (Did IT All) in New Port Richey, FL

I worked at Tractor Supply part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great store manager at the New Port Richey, FL store. Relaxed atmosphere, no one standing over your shoulder. You must be self-motivated.

Cons

I worked with a bunch of young adults who mostly didn't take work seriously, or only took it seriously sometimes. I would end up doing other people's work often, including team lead's. The sooner everyone finishes their tasks, the sooner you go home. I was passed up for promotion, but they do promote from within. I assume I was kept at my lowly position because I did my job well. There is a lot of information to learn, you just have to take the time to learn it. I knew nothing about any of their products when I started, but did well.

Advice to Management

Team leads should stop acting like everyone should bow down to them and do their own work. Talk less, work more.

"The Glory Days have passed"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Tractor Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has the potential to continue to be GREAT! We offer outstanding products at a great value. We have very powerful Mission and Values that I truly believe those in the field and many in the Store Support Center strive to uphold. We do our best to be customer focused and go above and beyond.

Cons

More and more is added to our plates every day with no additions to the payroll. In fact, payroll continues to decline, but the same level of production is expected with even a higher level of customer interaction. Some of the Regional VPs are so picky they even rip down signs if they are not precisely put in the uppermost left hand corner. Stores are called to live by a higher standard than upper management and there is no accountability for the upper management.

Advice to Management

Spend time and money in developing your people. Respect and support them.