TracyLocke Reviews in Wilton, CT | Glassdoor

Wilton, CT

3.4
Hugh Boyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, fun atmosphere and overall nice portfolio of clients (in 13 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good but like anywhere in this industry, there are spiked times of craziness (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (more extreme than what is typical in this industry) (in 6 reviews)

• Since the client teams are so large, there is little interaction between teams with the exception of upper management or new biz pitches (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to learn a lot & gain experience"

Former Employee - Art Director in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Art Director in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Great place to gain experience
    • Great culture & people
    • Tons of awesome work being created here & fresh ideas
    • Bagel wednesday

Cons

• Hard to get promoted - clear steps are never laid out to help you improve and work towards goals
    • Very late hours weekly. There wasn't a week I worked here that I didn't have at least two 12+ hour days. With that said, they work you hard but you gain a lot experience quickly. Great for people just entering the field.
    • low pay

2. "Squeezed by corporate, held back by culture"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- TracyLocke is a fast-paced challenging environment, and newcomers will tackle a lot in a short amount of time. TracyLocke is excellent for building a resume fast, as it is often recited, and the brands available to work on are big-name.

- If you play the right cards politically you can advance quickly

- Lots of cool albeit small perks, including massages, bagels, better than average coffee machines, some cool outings and events e.g. Halloween, beer carts on Fridays, etc

- Creative applicants are screened hard, and TracyLocke is a very Creative-forward agency that produces some incredible work

- While TracyLocke is a "shopper" agency, the work is far more varied and interesting than most in this category

- Casual business environment (e.g. jeans every day, open tattoos, casual language, etc) that makes fun to work at right out of college. Dogs are allowed at work. Very cool, talented, interesting employees across all teams

- Good location to live outside of NYC and experience the industry

- Benefits are about average! But considering so many people are young enough to still be on their parents' insurance (under 26 as of time of writing) under the ACA, the company could be contributing more to employees who are on the Plan(s)

Cons

- Hours are very rough, which is why most people are younger and do not have families

- Pay in the industry hasn't risen much in decades due to large corporate holding companies (in this case TracyLocke is owned by Omnicom), and despite stellar performance at TL, pay is actually below-average for the area and field

- HR is small team which makes hiring tough, and teams who need additional support are left to struggle for far too long . Likewise, HR policy isn't well-baked, leading people to turn over in search of pay raises and title promotions

- Culture is clique-y depending on when you've joined, and in some ways is very immature and rowdy. Does not apply to all people, but some in mid-management could be a bit more professional. There is a fair amount of gossip, as with any workplace, but sometimes it crosses the line.

- TracyLocke is lagging severely in their digital capabilities, which is a sore point for clients and is a much-needed value in today's field

- Not the most diverse but they are actively trying to hire more people of diverse backgrounds, so really a con turning pro

- Management offers a lot of false promises, and does not reward TracyLocke employees for their contributions evenly. For example, in a year when we won a lot of new business, bonuses were not competitive and were the same as a previous year with worse fiscal performance

- Space is limited in the building and sometimes getting set up properly, e.g. with reliable internet is tough. I myself did not have a functioning desk phone for months.

Advice to Management

Reward employees more competitively for their work. Offer hourly jobs, some people twiddle their thumbs (you would save money if they were not on the clock) and some work crazy hours (and do not get rewarded for it).

Fight harder to fight turnover. People leave in waves and this company has unusually high turnover.

3. "Good with the exception of compensation."

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues
    401k match (for 2017)
    Good resume building brands to work on
    They try to make it a good culture

Cons

Need to better staff.
    Pay is subpar for the amount of time, effort and care put in by employees, which is highly frustrating.
    Need more transparency with employees

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth

4. "Great Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Wilton, CT
    Former Intern - Intern in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People at the agency are really nice and always will to help!

Cons

I cant really think of any, love it there!

Advice to Management

Really love the internship program!

5. "Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of talent in the ranks, solid leadership from the very top, decent Omnicom benefits.

Cons

Fair amount of favortism, work/life balance and raises are both rare.

6. "Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family feel, flexible, great environment

Cons

Higher salaries would keep people longer

"Total dead end"

Former Employee - Creative in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Creative in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Free bagels on Wednesdays. (Never enough cream cheese, though.)
    -They used to bring in food trucks sometimes. That was ok.
    -There are some people who have genuine passion for their work. They burn out fast, but they're there.
    - Recent new business wins.

Cons

-For starters, pay is below industry standard. No bonuses. No 401k matching. Raises are rare. Promotions are popularity contests, and have nothing to do with job performance.

-The culture around work hours has become completely toxic, to the point where if you're not routinely putting in 10-12 hour days, you'll be branded "not a team player" and subsequently shunned. They care more about how many hours you're billing than how good your work is. Get done on time, and want to leave at a reasonable hour? Your supervisor will tell you to sit at your desk and play on Facebook until 8. (No joke. That happened.)

-There's little-to-no support for personal growth or career advancement. An ECD once told me, in no uncertain terms, that the only real way to get a raise or a promotion was by threatening to quit, and bringing in an offer from somewhere else. (I finally did get the raise - 370 days after I was promised it. Yes, that's over a year. No, I don't know why I stuck it out that long.)

-Employee training is also not a big priority for anyone. Account Execs are taught to handle their clients the same way you're taught to handle a mugger - do whatever they say, don't provoke them, don't try anything funny. (I've witnessed more than one AE have an honest-to-God mental breakdown over their client.) Creative briefs are often cut-and-pasted straight from client emails, and if you have a question about it, get ready for blank stares and confused shrugs. Creatives are taught, for their part, to not ask questions, and defer to their manager - who is probably just gonna defer back to Account.

-Teams are chronically understaffed. Key positions sometimes go unfilled for a year, or more. Meanwhile, they'll up and reorganize half the creative department on a client's whim, but they're completely unable to put the right people in the right positions for success. It's like they're staffing the place by throwing darts. It's chaos.

-They talk a big game about improving employee culture, but they can't - or won't - see the bigger picture. Sure, quarterly happy hours and free TL-branded water bottles are nice, but "nice perks" won't retain talent. "Fair wages" and "401k matching" might. But as long as they keep paying people like they're disposable, and treating people like they're children, employees will keep burning out and leaving. And TL doesn't have the recruiting chops to replace them. (Considering the wages, I'm amazed they're able to recruit anyone at all.)

All in all, I loved spending three years at TracyLocke. Unfortunately, I was there for six.

Advice to Management

First of all, the CEO needs to spend less time picking fights with respected industry figures on Twitter, (and way less time writing grandiose, self-important, multi-page staff emails about his boxer shorts,) and more time following through on his promises. He laid out an ambitious five-year plan, and has accomplished approximately none of it to date. "Leader in digital." "Incubator for innovation." Ok. Sure.

Pay people what they're worth. I can't stress that enough. The number of talented people I've seen walk away over money is staggering. You guys know that New York isn't far away, right? Because your talent sure knows it.

Listen to what your employees are saying. None of the grievances I've brought up here should be news to anyone. I've had each of these conversations time and time again over the years with coworkers, at happy hours and going-away parties. (And God, there were so many going-away parties. Wonder why?)

8. "getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Pros

Work is getting better, as is morale.
    Lots of recent new business wins.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Get pay in line with industry!

9. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big accounts, lots of talented and creative people that take what they're doing seriously and hold creativity to a high degree.

Cons

lots of untalented people, the people that kiss a lot of you know what tend to get promoted, some not so big accounts which can be a bummer to work on and make you feel like you're wasting you talents.

"be very cautious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big brands, good place to build your resume (reason I gave two stars instead of one)

Cons

- not a good place to be at the moment, company not doing well business wise
    - promises are very rarely kept
    - some of the more senior level people don't know how to manage their employees
    - certain brands have zero work/life balance
    - low pay/slow promotions

Advice to Management

start promoting people quicker so you don't lose some of the best young talent like you have over the last two years