TracyLocke Reviews in Wilton, CT | Glassdoor

Wilton, CT

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hugh Boyle

Pros
  • Great people, fun atmosphere and overall nice portfolio of clients (in 13 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good but like anywhere in this industry, there are spiked times of craziness (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (more extreme than what is typical in this industry) (in 6 reviews)

• Employees crying in the hallway and/or being screamed at my Upper Management is commonplace with no corrective action in place (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Wilton, CT
    Former Intern - Intern in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People at the agency are really nice and always will to help!

Cons

I cant really think of any, love it there!

Advice to Management

Really love the internship program!

2. "Below average pay in industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time

Pros

TracyLocke is quite casual and has its perks. Little surprises here and there. Can take three-day weekends pretty easily. Incredibly talented artists abound.

Cons

Pay is below average in industry, hours can be rough, office can be a little bare-bones at times.

Advice to Management

Move your business to Norwalk or elsewhere and offer more aggressive compensation

3. "Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of talent in the ranks, solid leadership from the very top, decent Omnicom benefits.

Cons

Fair amount of favortism, work/life balance and raises are both rare.

5. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family feel, flexible, great environment

Cons

Higher salaries would keep people longer

"Total dead end"

Former Employee - Creative in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Creative in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Free bagels on Wednesdays. (Never enough cream cheese, though.)
    -They used to bring in food trucks sometimes. That was ok.
    -There are some people who have genuine passion for their work. They burn out fast, but they're there.
    - Recent new business wins.

Cons

-For starters, pay is below industry standard. No bonuses. No 401k matching. Raises are rare. Promotions are popularity contests, and have nothing to do with job performance.

-The culture around work hours has become completely toxic, to the point where if you're not routinely putting in 10-12 hour days, you'll be branded "not a team player" and subsequently shunned. They care more about how many hours you're billing than how good your work is. Get done on time, and want to leave at a reasonable hour? Your supervisor will tell you to sit at your desk and play on Facebook until 8. (No joke. That happened.)

-There's little-to-no support for personal growth or career advancement. An ECD once told me, in no uncertain terms, that the only real way to get a raise or a promotion was by threatening to quit, and bringing in an offer from somewhere else. (I finally did get the raise - 370 days after I was promised it. Yes, that's over a year. No, I don't know why I stuck it out that long.)

-Employee training is also not a big priority for anyone. Account Execs are taught to handle their clients the same way you're taught to handle a mugger - do whatever they say, don't provoke them, don't try anything funny. (I've witnessed more than one AE have an honest-to-God mental breakdown over their client.) Creative briefs are often cut-and-pasted straight from client emails, and if you have a question about it, get ready for blank stares and confused shrugs. Creatives are taught, for their part, to not ask questions, and defer to their manager - who is probably just gonna defer back to Account.

-Teams are chronically understaffed. Key positions sometimes go unfilled for a year, or more. Meanwhile, they'll up and reorganize half the creative department on a client's whim, but they're completely unable to put the right people in the right positions for success. It's like they're staffing the place by throwing darts. It's chaos.

-They talk a big game about improving employee culture, but they can't - or won't - see the bigger picture. Sure, quarterly happy hours and free TL-branded water bottles are nice, but "nice perks" won't retain talent. "Fair wages" and "401k matching" might. But as long as they keep paying people like they're disposable, and treating people like they're children, employees will keep burning out and leaving. And TL doesn't have the recruiting chops to replace them. (Considering the wages, I'm amazed they're able to recruit anyone at all.)

All in all, I loved spending three years at TracyLocke. Unfortunately, I was there for six.

Advice to Management

First of all, the CEO needs to spend less time picking fights with respected industry figures on Twitter, (and way less time writing grandiose, self-important, multi-page staff emails about his boxer shorts,) and more time following through on his promises. He laid out an ambitious five-year plan, and has accomplished approximately none of it to date. "Leader in digital." "Incubator for innovation." Ok. Sure.

Pay people what they're worth. I can't stress that enough. The number of talented people I've seen walk away over money is staggering. You guys know that New York isn't far away, right? Because your talent sure knows it.

Listen to what your employees are saying. None of the grievances I've brought up here should be news to anyone. I've had each of these conversations time and time again over the years with coworkers, at happy hours and going-away parties. (And God, there were so many going-away parties. Wonder why?)

7. "getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Pros

Work is getting better, as is morale.
    Lots of recent new business wins.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Get pay in line with industry!

8. "Great place to get experience!"

Former Intern - Account Executive Intern in Wilton, CT
    Former Intern - Account Executive Intern in Wilton, CT

I worked at TracyLocke as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an account executive intern and loved it. I worked on Pepsi mostly and it was awesome. My bosses trusted me to do a lot of important stuff and were always open to hear my input. Although sometimes I needed to ask for clarification on things or asked for more work, it was a great experience and definitely woos potential employers' interest.

Cons

Sometimes I felt a little too babied, I felt like I could take on more than they were willing to give me.

Advice to Management

Maybe give less direction, sounds weird but I felt a little too restricted sometimes.

9. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big accounts, lots of talented and creative people that take what they're doing seriously and hold creativity to a high degree.

Cons

lots of untalented people, the people that kiss a lot of you know what tend to get promoted, some not so big accounts which can be a bummer to work on and make you feel like you're wasting you talents.

"be very cautious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big brands, good place to build your resume (reason I gave two stars instead of one)

Cons

- not a good place to be at the moment, company not doing well business wise
    - promises are very rarely kept
    - some of the more senior level people don't know how to manage their employees
    - certain brands have zero work/life balance
    - low pay/slow promotions

Advice to Management

start promoting people quicker so you don't lose some of the best young talent like you have over the last two years

"Talented People"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Wilton, CT

I have been working at TracyLocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, dress down everyday, bagels wednesday, beer/wine fridays, steady work & lots of talented individuals.

Cons

No raises unless you know someone. long term employees who are not productive, Old building which is not appealing to clients. Need new clients that appreciate what we do.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking about yourselves and get raises for ALL employees.