Trader Joe's Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.9
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 168 reviews)

• The work environment was fun and for the most part you get friendly customers (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be making less than crew members, but have a ton more responsibilities (in 127 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

1. "Crew"

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

Pros

The company has a lot of Integrity and treat you fairly. You also get compensated very well and if you perform well and work hard you get a raise every 6 months. Also able to achieve up to 40 hours if wanted to, shifts are available all the time. It's a fun place to work and has lots of perks like sampling different food.

Cons

Lots of lifting boxes and staying late

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work. Easy to switch shifts,

Cons

Nothing bad to say really, its was great company to work for except it is a little difficult to move up and become full time.

3. "KInda Sucks"

Current Employee - Grocery Boy in Plainview, NY
    Current Employee - Grocery Boy in Plainview, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's (Less than a year)

Pros

10 % off on food. Fellow Employees are generally friendly

Cons

Hardly ever get two days off in a row. Run by kids so you are treated as a kid. Customers are mostly rude,lazy,I am entitled, arrogent schmucks.

Advice to Management

you are really just grogery boys and girls so stop treating it like brain surgery.

"Good opportunity in retail!"

Former Employee - Crew Member & Section Leader in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Crew Member & Section Leader in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working here was generally a great experience. The best part was that many of the fellow Crew Members and Mates are friendly. I consider 75% of the Crew I worked with as an extended family! Lifelong friends can be made here! The interaction is great, whether with peers or the friendly customers. The pay here is good for retail, though you will be working very hard for that money, as this job is very physically intensive. The rotation of tasks throughout the day is great, and the Management is usually flexible with your schedule; helpful if you're in school. Other perks include the annual bonus, 401k plan, 10% discount, and nearly endless amount of food samples.

Cons

Keep in mind that this is retail, so it can get very hectic on weekends, holidays, and right before snowstorms! This also means that while there are many nice customers, there are a share of them who are either angry, very demanding, inattentive, rude, oblivious, etc. This location is a very popular store, and the parking lot gets crazy at times. Be careful crossing the parking lot-Don't expect cars to stop, and many will be speeding. Cart runs are fun on comfortable, sunny days, but you will also have them on cold, hot, rainy, and snowy days, too. While they are generally flexible with your schedule, be prepared to work nearly every weekend. Sometimes, turnover is as little as 10 hours, meaning you can work until Midnight, and then have to come in 10 AM the next morning, for example.

That being said, the pros outweigh the cons. You definitely have to be a good person who works hard; though also be mentally strong to deal with the challenges of retail. If you have those traits, you will do great here, and be rewarded by good pay for the sector, fun times at work, and lifelong friends.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the technology! As of 2016, the internet here was DSL-speed. The Chip System was introduced too early; right before the 2015 Holiday Season, and really angered the customers.

I've heard that the CEO Dan Bane simplified management layers several years ago to save money; a move I don't necessarily agree with. There are some opportunities to move up to Mate, though they look for a certain personality, so it is kind of limited. Several years ago, I had sent a school project on upgrading the POS systems to the CEO. I never even received an acknowledgement, so I was bummed out about that.

Lastly, invest in bigger stores. I know TJ's is trying to maximize sales per square footage, though the quarters are just too tight at times! Some customers said they would shop more if the stores were bigger!

"Great company, really incredible coworkers, but it's still tough work. Expect to work hard"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Scarsdale, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Scarsdale, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, lifelong friends from coworkers and customers, incredible food with a 10% discount, good benefits, you are never in one role the entire day unless you ask to be. No micromanaging, the company really cares about employees, free gym memberships,

Cons

Very Cliquey (favoritism), there can be horrible guests and managers will never side with employers (I'm an easy going person but someone almost ran me over in the parking lot and managers just shrugged it off, but then switched out a manager that told an able bodied customer they couldn't park in a handy-cap parking spot...) expect to push carts in extreme conditions, if one coworker is lazy you are picking up their slack, managers won't fire or write them up (favoritism)

Advice to Management

Some of the managers are so power hungry and ridiculous. There checks and balances for the managers are not ideal but at least they have something...

6. "Excellent Company with Amazing Benefits"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Merrick, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Merrick, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule
    good pay
    great benefits
    nice atmosphere

Cons

customers can be very snotty
    other workers sometimes do not pull their weight

7. "Love TJ's"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting co-works. Awesome health benefits. Opportunities for promotion. Great managemtn

Cons

I had some really crazy hours.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Alright"

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Fun people, easy work, flexible hours

Cons

Not much wrong, just frequently understaffed

9. "Okay With me..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone works and not just watch

Cons

lot of tension behind the scenes

Advice to Management

Treat part-timers better, managers are not gods...they are wrong many times

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great way to earn a decent wage without a college degree. You don't even need a H.S. degree, I believe.
    -You can get a raise every six months. It's not guaranteed but it's pretty easy to get...Just do the work and be nice. Don't call out or show up late all the time.
    -Dental and vision available if you work 3-days a week. Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield if you work 30hrs a week. You can accomplish this by working 5 days a week or 4 days and picking up someone's shift every now and then. You can also work at night and stay late to reach the total number of hours required during a measurement period (every 6 months).
    -Since there are over 200ppl working there you have a good chance of working the schedule you want. Some people like to work early in the morning. Others like to work at night. Many have 2nd jobs, school and/or other obligations.
    -The managers are really positive for the most part. When you start they're patient and understanding. As long as you do your best, they're cool.
    -Your co-workers end up being like a family. There are some really good people you will work with.
    -TJs contributes the equivalent of 10% of what you earn to a 401K. You don't have to match it. They do it on their own. It just takes about 6yrs for it to fully vest.

Cons

-It can be really, REALLY exhausting. You'll be lifting heavy boxes of apples and jars of sauces and gallons of milk. Even the older crew in their 50s and 60s hustle. We work even harder when the store is closed. In the morning we’re scrambling to get ½ the store packed out before we open and at night we’re scrambling to get the other ½ of the store packed out so we’re not there after 2-3am.
    -If you want to earn more money, the only way to do it is to become a manager (mate). Crew members train new people and write orders for different sections of the store but receive no extra pay for it. Writing an order is a huge responsibility as it can mean not enough kale or too much that ends up going bad. It can directly affect the profitability of the store.
    -Speaking of mates, if you become one, you'll be expected to work 10hr shifts, will be bounced to different stores sometimes on a day’s notice and if you close at night, you'll have to stay until everything is completed no matter what.
    -Which brings me to another issue. If you close at night and have to leave at your designated time, the mates won't say anything but will be disappointed if you don't finish your section...Why? Because they'll have to do it.
    -There's no human resources department. At the Brooklyn (Court St.) Store there are around 250 employees working there. The general manager (Captain) is your judge and jury. He can fire you at will. Fortunately he's pretty cool so you won't have to worry about walking on eggshells. Still, it would be nice to have an HR Dept. for sexual harassment, racism and inappropriate behavior issues that arise.
    -For example, there's a person who has been writing the order for one of our most important sections for years. He calls his female co-workers, “baby” and “honey” instead of their names and has a macho attitude when talking to the guys. He’s a hard worker but many people don’t like to work in this section because of it including me. The captain, however, has an incentive to keep him in that capacity; it’s better for the store’s profitability. The worker has no incentive to change his behavior. He’s been in that same position for years and the captain is supposed to change the roles of the employees so no one person does the same thing and nothing else. I don't want to say anything because I have no faith that my concerns will remain anonymous.

Advice to Management

(The Ugly)
    -During reviews a couple co-workers were given a bonus of $500 in addition to their raise. The captain told them to keep it a secret from their co-workers. How do I know? Because one of the recipients told almost everyone at the store s/he got the "secret" bonus. I and many other crew members were given great reviews. There was nothing negative about them but I suppose there must be an additional criteria that we're not even told about by which we have no idea how we're being judged.
    -If you are a champion brown-noser, you will go far in this store. Earlier in my time here at BK TJs I dismissed the claims made by my co-workers that the captain has favorites but I have witnessed it and it discourages folks. Trader Joe's isn't supposed to be about secret bonuses or promoting those who only smile for and engage mates. We're a team of hardworking employees who makes the store a success only by working together. Being nice to one another should be as important as being nice to the customers and to management.

Showing 178 of 1,875 reviews