Trader Joe's Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 153 reviews)

• An open work environment to all different types of people (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be making less than crew members, but have a ton more responsibilities (in 127 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, laid back, but we work hard.

Cons

Shift preferences are given to those with seniority. If you're new you'll probably end up closing.

Advice to Management

Don't cut bonuses or pay that people are relying on.

2. "Crew Member"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great part time job that comes with an exceptional coworker and customer community! Great 401K, decent benefits. Fun work atmosphere, and products of commendable quality. Flexible scheduling, family friendly.

Cons

Working in grocery is hard on your body and soul. The physical demand is pretty relentless and getting the same customer complaints over and over is mentally demanding. Also, this company keeps shrinking benefits over time, but is still better than most.

"The Golden Handcuffs"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Amazing benefits
    Great people to work with

Cons

Hard to move up into management
    Pay is average for grocery but not great for full-time work
    Stores run independently from the mother ship.

Advice to Management

Try to find a way to produce rolls for people to move up without making them sacrifice their whole world to become a manager.

5. "When it comes to working retail or grocery you will have a hard time finding a better company to work for."

Current Employee - Crew in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Crew in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, able to transfer locations. Raises based on performance rather than seniority and no Union! You are in the end treated fairly by a large company, it's not perfect but it's better than most.

Cons

It is a physically demanding job, it is retail so you can have negative interactions with the public. Hours can be cut because of the economy/sales

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example by working side by side the employees.

"Best Place for Retail"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Upbeat and inclusive culture, competitive wages, decent benefits package, non-bureaucratic structure.

Cons

Very rigid scheduling (4am, 12:30pm, or 3:30pm only), labor is extremely taxing on body, non-unionized, benefits package could be improved and more competitive.

7. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for Trader Joe's has been a great experience. They've been supportive and accommodating for as long as I can remember. While the work can be tedious it can also be very rewarding.

Cons

I have no cons about trader joe's. I've seen a lot of change within the company, restriction of benefits, cutting of hours occasionally, seeing friends get demoted or let go. These things are a part of any business.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I like the old raise system where it was quarterly and performance based. Unfortunately that can often turn into a popularity contest. Also making benefits available with a less strict hours requirement would be nice. Again I understand it's a business.

8. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Basic Crew Member in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Basic Crew Member in Portland, OR

Pros

Great health care for people averaging 4 or more days a week over each 6 month measuring period.
    Eligibility for 60¢ raises twice a year until you're making more than $20/hr as a base-level employee.
    Not stuck in one department but rather moved around between cashier, stocking, writing orders, etc.
    They let you give flowers to sad customers and stuff like that.

Cons

It really depends on who your managers are and especially who your manager's boss is. That's the "captain" of the store. All of management is rotated every few years between all the Trader Joe's in the area. It's hit or miss; awesome if you like your captain and terrible if you hate them. Either way they will be rotated out at some point.
    Also this job is very hard on your body. If the store is busy it can be surprisingly stressful and you are often not given enough time to complete a task safely. A lot of people get hurt and many long-time employees get long-term health problems.

Advice to Management

Lead by example; don't micromanage; employees are better with customers when they feel they're trusted to do the right thing. Also allow enough time and space for employees to complete their tasks in a safe manner. Sometimes it's impossible and the pressure is on and that's usually why people get hurt.

9. "Crew members"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

Pros

Benefits are good overall even though some were cut a few years ago. Flexible schedule. Good food that employees are encouraged to taste for free.

Cons

Paid vacation is below industry standards. Management promoted to position before ready. Or people put in management position that should not be.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company more. Put new managers on trial 1st then decide after 3 months like they use to do whether they can hang or are a good fit.

"I worked here for six months while looking for a job in my field. Fantastic short-term gig for me."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Fantastic benefits
    2) Managements treat employees very well
    3) Coworkers are a lot of fun
    4) The work changes a lot during the day. You're on register for one hour, then working product, then helping customers. The lack of monotony made it so much better.

Cons

1) It's a grocery store
    2) Not a very data-oriented company
    3) Very uphill battle to gain new skills. It's on you to bug management for new training/opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be more open to employees trying to gain new skills

"I committed to the company-they cut everything they could."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I liked having an active job where I could use my body and mind simultaneously. Coworkers are for the most part extremely good natured and caring.

Cons

Injuries are rampant, as are safety violations. Safety standards are put in place and then ignored. Concerns raised about safety are routinely ignored. Food safety standards are inconsistent. People are targeted for termination and fired on absurd charges. Benefits have gradually and consistently been cut over the past eight years. Managers who have multiple harassment complaints are transferred from store to store rather than fired. Relationships between managers and subordinates often result in a transfer for the subordinate and no disciplinary action for the manager. There is a glaring lack of female representation in management. Gender discrimination varies from store to store, but manifests most often in duties assigned and rate of pay over time. Crewmembers are told they can be fired for discussing their wage or raises. Raise structure changes about as often as raises are due. There is no consistent process for being able to understand how to earn a raise, and in some cases people are lied to about what would be necessary to earn a raise.

Advice to Management

"Sales per person hour" is a phrase not many employees understand if there is high turnover, and they understand even less because they have not seen the number be pushed higher and higher over the years. A big part of my decision to quit was the stress of no longer being able to do my job adequately- along with the latest "restructuring" we have been left with huge gaps in our ability to keep the shelves stocked during the day - we are losing sales while the captain and schedule writer try to keep spph up. The people who care continue to work incredibly fast and hard, putting themselves at risk for injuries. Everyone else sees that it is a lost cause and gives up, just going through the motions (with no accountability, either). Morale is incredibly low. Some of us still remember getting gift cards in the mail at Christmas. That meant so much. I left school at 21 because of the promises this company made me when I agreed to work for them, and not a single one was left by the time I quit. I used to know what every single thing in the store tasted like. There was no tasting program at my store for months, maybe a year, before I quit; I had to tell people continually that I didn't know how a certain product was. It was embarrassing. The continued financial success of the company is practically inevitable, but they are erasing all of the parts that gave it the true structure of a great company, one I originally believed in.

Showing 20 of 1,748 reviews