Trader Joe's Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

4.5
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 182 reviews)

• Good work environment with fun co-workers (in 127 reviews)

Cons
  • Crew members at my store get no weekend differential or holiday pay (in 135 reviews)

• Work can be very physically demanding at times (in 80 reviews)

1. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive work place, supportive co-workers and management, extremely competitive wages, never tasked with more than you can handle, great relationships with customers.

Cons

Occasionally some managers are in over their head, but this is truly infrequent. Perhaps making more money than I properly deserve would be great, but that's just being silly and trying to get past the 20 word minimum. I love working for Trader Joe's

Advice to Management

I suppose just keep up the good work. I have worked for the company for 5 years now, and while you will occasionally see unfortunate decisions from management, I can't remember ever really experiencing that at my current location, which I have been at for a year.

"It's a fun fast paced environment. Working as a team and effective communication are essential to the job."

Current Employee - Part-time Crew Member in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Part-time Crew Member in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely focused on customer service and creating relationships work customers. The management knows how to have fun and values their crew.

Cons

The schedule can be a challenge, working on weekends is mandatory. It came also be physically taxing.

3. "Crew Member"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great part time job that comes with an exceptional coworker and customer community! Great 401K, decent benefits. Fun work atmosphere, and products of commendable quality. Flexible scheduling, family friendly.

Cons

Working in grocery is hard on your body and soul. The physical demand is pretty relentless and getting the same customer complaints over and over is mentally demanding. Also, this company keeps shrinking benefits over time, but is still better than most.

4. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, laid back, but we work hard.

Cons

Shift preferences are given to those with seniority. If you're new you'll probably end up closing.

Advice to Management

Don't cut bonuses or pay that people are relying on.

"The Golden Handcuffs"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Amazing benefits
    Great people to work with

Cons

Hard to move up into management
    Pay is average for grocery but not great for full-time work
    Stores run independently from the mother ship.

Advice to Management

Try to find a way to produce rolls for people to move up without making them sacrifice their whole world to become a manager.

6. "When it comes to working retail or grocery you will have a hard time finding a better company to work for."

Current Employee - Crew in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Crew in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, able to transfer locations. Raises based on performance rather than seniority and no Union! You are in the end treated fairly by a large company, it's not perfect but it's better than most.

Cons

It is a physically demanding job, it is retail so you can have negative interactions with the public. Hours can be cut because of the economy/sales

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example by working side by side the employees.

"Best Place for Retail"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Upbeat and inclusive culture, competitive wages, decent benefits package, non-bureaucratic structure.

Cons

Very rigid scheduling (4am, 12:30pm, or 3:30pm only), labor is extremely taxing on body, non-unionized, benefits package could be improved and more competitive.

8. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for Trader Joe's has been a great experience. They've been supportive and accommodating for as long as I can remember. While the work can be tedious it can also be very rewarding.

Cons

I have no cons about trader joe's. I've seen a lot of change within the company, restriction of benefits, cutting of hours occasionally, seeing friends get demoted or let go. These things are a part of any business.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I like the old raise system where it was quarterly and performance based. Unfortunately that can often turn into a popularity contest. Also making benefits available with a less strict hours requirement would be nice. Again I understand it's a business.

9. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Basic Crew Member in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Basic Crew Member in Portland, OR

Pros

Great health care for people averaging 4 or more days a week over each 6 month measuring period.
    Eligibility for 60¢ raises twice a year until you're making more than $20/hr as a base-level employee.
    Not stuck in one department but rather moved around between cashier, stocking, writing orders, etc.
    They let you give flowers to sad customers and stuff like that.

Cons

It really depends on who your managers are and especially who your manager's boss is. That's the "captain" of the store. All of management is rotated every few years between all the Trader Joe's in the area. It's hit or miss; awesome if you like your captain and terrible if you hate them. Either way they will be rotated out at some point.
    Also this job is very hard on your body. If the store is busy it can be surprisingly stressful and you are often not given enough time to complete a task safely. A lot of people get hurt and many long-time employees get long-term health problems.

Advice to Management

Lead by example; don't micromanage; employees are better with customers when they feel they're trusted to do the right thing. Also allow enough time and space for employees to complete their tasks in a safe manner. Sometimes it's impossible and the pressure is on and that's usually why people get hurt.

10. "Crew members"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

Pros

Benefits are good overall even though some were cut a few years ago. Flexible schedule. Good food that employees are encouraged to taste for free.

Cons

Paid vacation is below industry standards. Management promoted to position before ready. Or people put in management position that should not be.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company more. Put new managers on trial 1st then decide after 3 months like they use to do whether they can hang or are a good fit.

Showing 22 of 2,024 reviews