Trader Joe's Reviews | Glassdoor

Dan Bane
1,097 Ratings

2,055 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 184 reviews)

• Positive work environment for the line of work that you're in (in 130 reviews)

Cons

"Excellent...in the right location. Growing pains abound."

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

TJ's has some of the best benefits without a union commitment for any retailer of its kind. It has a competitive base pay, a 401k that is second to none and, in my state, some of the best medical benefits at half the cost of your hard-earned pre-tax dollars as other places. The scheduling varies from store to store but, over the years, they have been very flexible and accommodating. The crew can vary as well but, it is usually a light-hearted atmosphere, and most stores are like a second family, taking care of one another in times of hardship. The best boss I ever had was at my first store. Not because he was trying to make friends but, because he was fair, and had a back bone. Although just one of the many bonuses to working at Trader Joe's, trying products, and having an opinion on them is pivotal, and each crew member is encouraged to open products (with approval) and taste them for themselves. There are frequent in-store, educational tastings, and even more frequently, free-for-alls in the breakroom. Trader Joe's used to hire only intelligent, qualified, common-sense laden individuals that promoted the store as a brand, and they have carried the stores for many years. I'm sure this is the case in more competitive areas. Many stores, with lower turnover rates, still have this core staff employed. I highly recommend this job for those completing college coursework, and plan on transitioning into the corporate world upon degree completion. The experience of dealing with a diverse clientele is really only second to the medical industry. People need medical care, and people have to eat!

Cons

As a TJ's "long-timer", I have watched this company grow from about 100 stores to over 400, and it is not immune to growing pains. With a small home office on both the East and the West coast, the demand for corporate assistance and intervention, in stores, is beyond what the company is capable of handling. Many cases of misconduct go unresolved. Pay raises are fewer, and the internal feedback is limited to those times. Continued education and training do not exist at my current store. The size of your region will severely limit your options for upward mobility unless you are willing to move. Training for supervisory positions, unless adamantly monitored by you WITH your captain's support, do not move along at the speed at which they were intended to, and you can fall behind in training for years. Trader Joe's has gotten stale, and is now subscribing to the same corporate rigmarole as much of the Western workforce has.

Advice to Management

Do not sweep in-store HR matters, reported to you, under the carpet, or ignore a crew member's concerns. I was very disappointed with the way my region's HR representative handled an incident with my captain. Nothing changed with that captain, and although it may have been perceived as being "taken care of", no follow up was initiated, and the transgressions persist to this day. I no longer feel protected as a worker, and am too afraid of more backlash to blow the whistle again. I am unprotected by my company. It's a shame. I used to like working here, and now I dread the days I have to interact with my captain. Yes, a single case from my perspective, but perhaps a flaw in the system as a whole. You can no longer treat things as a "family matter" when you are nearing 450 stores nationwide. Please re-embrace your number one tenet, it served you well for many years. Also, the nepotism in my region is rampant. It has been the source of many problems, conflicts, undermined integrity, and continues to plague the region at a cost to the company. Regionals should be in no way related to their immediate subordinates.

2. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Junior Sous Chef in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Sous Chef in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work with.

Cons

Make just little money and it takes long time to make a good position career.

Advice to Management

A good coach make great team

3. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Crew Member in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in South Florida, FL

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and chill environment to work in. Employees were awesome!

Cons

Management sometimes was not fair.

4. "Well structured, clear work environment"

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

Well structured store hierarchy, clear work objectives, good support and paid time off

Cons

Hard, physical work, lots of customer interaction

5. "Crew member"

Current Employee - Crew in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Crew in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this environment, the best job I have had! Our management team is wonderful! It’s hard work but very satisfying and supportive place to be!

Cons

I can’t say anything negative, but I do think the tiny carts can be a hassle! Other than that I have no complaints!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, our captain is awesome and sets the tone of the store!

6. "General"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers were chill
    Free food all the time
    1hr Lunches
    10% discount

Cons

They expect a lot, trader joe’s in general.
    Minimum wage

Advice to Management

The one I worked at (Folsom Blvd in Sac) all the mangers were super cool, chill, and good at what they do.

7. "Crew Member"

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

Upbeat work environment with a lot of cool people. Can be hard work sometimes but it definitely makes the day go by fast. Overall, for a retail job I love it.

Cons

There's so many people working at one time that sometimes communication is lacking. Sometimes people play favorites but that happens anywhere you go.

8. "Love where you work"

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always something new, get to try products, discount, fast paced, great managers, fun product, happy customers, product knowledge is interesting and encouraged

Cons

Lots of physical activity, random hours,

9. "Great job for benefits"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Dental/Vision insurance for 15 hrs/wk
    Health Insurance after 35 hrs/wk
    Flexible shift scheduling
    Lax atmosphere

Cons

High turnover of managers (4 "Mates" came in and out in 6 months)
    Management kept udating rules to give less autonomy to the crew members as time went on
    Was no real reprimanding to people who weren't performing their jobs well
    Extra hours were hard to come by

Advice to Management

Needed to keep some consistency for workers. Not ideal to come in and be able to state that it feels like a new store every week

10. "Crew member"

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

Regular raises if you work hard and have good customer service, great benefits if you work enough hours(gym membership comes with health insurance), lots of food and wine tastings, totally flexible scheduling, a company that generally cares

Cons

Really physical work, work injuries happen fairly often if you aren’t careful with how you’re lifting

Showing 2,055 of 2,064 reviews