Trader Joe's Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

4.3
Pros
  • "great benefits including retirement(in 296 reviews)

• "I can truly say from my own experience that it was such a great work environment and truly the best people work there and made great coworkers(in 236 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Sometimes not enough crew members working(in 204 reviews)

• "If captain changes, different team not so good(in 155 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Trader Joe's and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Best Company I’ve worked for!!

Feb 1, 2021 - Crew Member in Temecula, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture like no other! Great benefits!

Cons

None! Other than retail hours.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Absolutely amazing! Great team members and leadership!

May 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive of all team members.

Cons

None, they are a great company!

3. 3.0

Could be worse

Apr 26, 2021 - Trader Joe's Crew Member in Milpitas, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is pretty decent, especially now that they're more or less forced to give us $2 extra in hazard pay. Getting a discount on the food is good too, but unfortunately the discount is going back down to 10 % starting May 1st. Management definitely steps up to defend crew members from verbally abusive customers. Camaraderie amongst crew members, even if we aren't all friends.

Cons

The culture and core of Trader Joe's is very Customer First oriented, which makes sense as a company. But it puts the wants of the individual customer over the well-being of the crew members, and while they definitely care about us, it is upsetting that our management seems to be expected to hold this line instead of being able to keep out anti maskers who put us at a greater risk for infection. Also if having a labor union at your place of work is important, you need to look elsewhere. Unions are actively discouraged by management and corporate.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Trader Joe's Review

May 2, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Trader Joe's offers some of the best interactions between coworkers and managers. People are understanding and work hard to help each other out. We are consistently pushed to try company product so that we might be able to sell better ourselves. Shifts are designed in a way that every hour you are tasked to do something different, removing a lot of monotony from a regular grocery store job.

Cons

Hours are very flexible for parents and long-time workers but expect standard closing shifts for the majority of working (this is at least, prior to any negotiation one might make with a Captain).

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The perfect job for anyone

Apr 29, 2021 - Crew Member in Wayne, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

The moment I step into this store I can't help but be in a good mood. My coworkers and managers are amazing, and I've made friends here that I'm sure I'll have for life. The work is split up by the hour so you aren't always doing the same thing, and you are treated with respect no matter your age, background, etc. The shifts go fast and the customers are great, too. I love it here and I come home from work everyday with a smile on my face.

Cons

Not going to lie, the Christmas music they play during the holidays is SO BAD so hopefully that's not a deal breaker.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

The most fun place I have worked!

May 6, 2021 - Crew in Ithaca, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff, great customers, pay is really good. They care about their employees which motivates you. Most staff truly enjoys working there. The mates (managers) are awesome and fun!

Cons

Horrible schedule and hours. Back breaking work. The excuse ‘it’s retail’ is BS. One week your starting at 5am the next week you’re ending at midnight. All over the place, no set days off. All weekends you’re working. Breaking down 15-20 pallets a night.

7. 5.0

Great company

May 3, 2021 - Photographer in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I get paid to be kind to people, give people flowers or chocolate or their favorite item. I get benefits and paid time off and sick leave. I also get great retirement benefits

Cons

If you are weak physically this job can make your body hurt.

8. 5.0

Working as a Crew Member: Why all the people at TJ's are so happy

Apr 15, 2021 - Crew Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

Trader Joe's has curated an environment that is extremely positive, upbeat, fun, fast-paced, and unique! Everyone works together to help one another and every employee is truly special. Management is extremely kind, caring, flexible and wants the best for you.

Cons

The job can be physically demanding, so if you are unable to be on your feet and physically able to move and lift products this could be a con. However management works so well with you that hours can be shorter or you can perform tasks less demanding.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Books

May 5, 2021 - Bookseller
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money is great and is green

Cons

have to work hard and come in on time

10. 5.0

Great place to work

May 5, 2021 - Crew
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits, people to work with, and plenty of career opportunities.

Cons

Standing on concrete and lifting items all day can take a toll.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,140 Reviews