Trader Joe's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 24, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 147 reviews)

• Crew Members cap out at 21 dollars an hour (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, mediocre crew members getting promoted to managerial positions (in 125 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

1. "TJs review"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

employees are treated well. there are frequent food and wine tastings for employees to gain knowledge about the products.

Cons

sometimes have to deal with rude customers.

2. "Fun, but exhausting"

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, the crew is like a family, and will help you deal with the crazy customers. Flexible with schedules and it has a great pay. If you are friendly, have a unique and fun personality, you will do great at TJs. If you aren't fun and personable, then don't apply cause you will not get hired, or the crew will eat you alive.

Cons

Physically demanding and exhausting. Most people I have worked with have had a lot of work related injuries which led to surgeries. Night shifts can be rough, but with a good crew, they can help the time fly by. Managers can be frustrating to work with, especially the ones who micro manage. A lot of them don't seem to care about the crew and they just want the work done. But they also have a lot of pressure to do well. If you become a manager ( a mate) then be prepared not to have a life outside of work. It's nearly impossible to get fired there, but if they don't like you, they will make work a living hell for you. To the point where you quit or do something to get fired. Also be prepared to deal with a huge variety of customers. Some of them are great, and I have made a few friends. But other shoppers can be cruel and mean, and really brings the moral down. Each store has it pros and cons, it really just depends where you live. Also, since the pay is really good, a lot of people are stuck there. Most people started working there in college, but realized that they make more money there then they would at a job in there degree field. So just be careful if you don't want this to be your life long career.

Advice to Management

Listen to the crew more. Don't micromanage, and be better communicators. we are all on the same team, and we have to all work together.

"Decent Wages, Shady Accountability"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, eclectic peers, above average wages, and an employee matched 401K. Great energy, good people, and over-all a more relaxed attitude towards work. Folks with consistency in customer service will do well.

Cons

Every region is at the whims of the out-sourced product distribution. This means that the store might have drivers who aren't vetted the same way an employee of Trader Joe's is. Also, these product warehouses have no spoilage capacity, so occasionally you receive a pallet with a dozen boxes filled with rotting kale that needs to be dealt with in the very limited store space.

Advice to Management

Any and all disciplinary action taken against employees should be in writing, not hearsay or some mysterious logbook that no one knows about. The East Coast operations' methods are questionable. Also, I found myself training new crew members about how to enroll in benefits--which should have been a necessary managerial duty.

5. "Review Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours made some good friends

Cons

Frustrating policies veterans treat new people poorly

6. "Times are changing"

Current Employee - Crew
    Current Employee - Crew

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits but easily pulled out from under you without notice. Can be a lot of fun.

Cons

Cut your hours with no notice, lose your insurance. You're supposed to have a happy fulfilling life outside of work but also be 100% available and flexible with your schedule. Mates are petty and take out grudges through lost raises and cut hours.

Advice to Management

Get mates who lead by example. Choose captains who practice integrity even when the regional isn't looking.

"Great co workers, pay and benefits, however management is terrible."

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, your task changes a lot so it hardly gets dull if you like physical work. The pay and raise are some of the best in the retail space and the benefits as well. Co workers are generally nice people with a great attitude.

Cons

Management needs a lot of help. The company has started to hire from outside the company to fill manager position, this has kill the leadership as they come in without know about trader Joe's. They know the theory but not the practical. This has also stopped excellent day one employees from getting a shot and they often level the company to be great elsewhere. The snowball effect here is, we get stuck with the mediocre co workers who have no intention to work but a paycheck, so they do the very least to get by, this further forces the good co workers out because they always have to pick up the slack. Managers never seem to notice and if you bring it up you can be seen as negative.

Advice to Management

You all need to talk to each other, please. Corporate need to hold them more accountable, I have seen manager throw crew members under the bus too many time and the crew member has no idea, until hours get cut or reviews are negative. It feels like high school with all substitute teachers.

"Friendly Staff, But Mediocre Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff was supportive but the leadership did not cultivate a strong workplace culture

Cons

Lack of guidance for new employees, awful system for scheduling hours

Advice to Management

Move the scheduling system online

"A Decent First Job"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started with Joe's right out of college in 2012. The first year and a half was nurturing and I formed friendships that I'll keep for the rest of my life. Trader Joe's on a Sunday before Thanksgiving is a bonding experience. You really get to know your coworkers true personalities in those moments—and most times those personalities were inspiring and focused. The entire experience was a meditation in patience, kindness, and organization.

Cons

There's intense micromanagement. Trader Joe's has a ton of middle management, from the Captain to the Mates (and formerly Merchants). There's no need for that much oversight and it tends to create an environment of confusion, politics, and honest to goodness resentment. What is more, Trader Joe's is ultimately a giant high school where gossip, rumors, and cliques are the norm.

Advice to Management

Don't succumb to an inflated sense of self importance. The crew is comprised of adults, many of whom have gone to college. Condescending to your employees ultimately leads to immaturity all around. Rise to the occasion and they will too. You're not running a high school, you're running a business.

10. "Would only recommend if you can't get anything better than retail"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good job while going to school
    Chance for raises in pay twice a year
    paid time-off
    healthcare for those who work maximum number of days (still not full-time, though)

Cons

Some of the worst management I have ever come across
    Sometimes expect full-time availability with part-time hours
    Low starting wage

Advice to Management

Management is the real reason why I left the company. The problem is that management moves from location to location way too much. Working there for almost 7 years, I had some great managers, but the last one that I had made the job unbearable, and was finding myself feeling anxious everyday before walking in.

11. "Program Associate"

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time

Pros

Free Food and Free Drinks

Cons

Bad management and bad hours

Showing 314 of 1,710 reviews