Trader Joe's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 22, 2017

Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 175 reviews)

• Great work environment, managers are very hands-on (in 122 reviews)

Cons
  • Crew members at my store get no weekend differential or holiday pay (in 133 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

1. "A good job to get if you can get it, but.."

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time

Pros

Starting wage and benefits above average, opportunity for wage increase twice a year. Super good group of people as a whole.

Cons

Work can be very physically demanding at times. Different managers can have very different expectations of how the work should be done, and the result, creates some cliquishness.

Advice to Management

more access to info, a lot of customers have a lot of questions that are unanswerable even if a computer is available, TJ specific. Promote internally! and continue to let people transfer all over

"Mate"

Former Employee - Mate in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Mate in State College, PA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being around people and of course the food. Pay and benefits are really good as well.

Cons

Constant labor cuts, which has created numerous injuries and everyone is basically picking up boxes and putting stuff on a shelf. It drains morale when you have someone behind a computer just staring at a number without actually putting thought into the decision.

Advice to Management

Development of leaders is a major opportunity.

3. "Short-lived"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Evanston, IL

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Diversity; Friendly co-workers; flexible-scheduling; Good products; Happy atmosphere

Cons

Labor intense work; Questionable Leadership; Favoritism; Lack of integrity; Pay inequality

"Been working there for a few months"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone who works at my store (crew, mates, and our captain) is great and make the job actually really fun and enjoyable
    - Flexible schedule depending on who is writing it (our schedule writer is super understanding and tries to work with everyone on their availability)
    - Benefits (PTO, health & dental, 10% discount)
    - Semi-annual raises and reviews
    - You switch tasks every hour, so things don't get boring (and if you like a certain section, mates will try to accommodate that and schedule you there)
    - The products are actually really great and are priced pretty fairly
    - They encourage huddles and tastings so employees know what's going on and what the new products taste like so they can sell them

Cons

- Customers. I love people, but man, some of the customers truly think they rule the world.
    - We allow returns on everything, including flowers. That's absurd.
    - We can't kick customers out after we close. They wander around and take their sweet time while you're stuck on the register waiting for them and not going home.
    - Injuries. I've worked manual labor, but this is a really easy one to get hurt at. Lifting heavy boxes, bending and twisting all the time. You're on your feet the entire day.
    - The pay and benefits kind of suck. I heard they were great, but I guess in the past few years they have been cutting them more and more.

Advice to Management

- It is the crew's store. Great managers support the crew, backup them when there are crazy customers, listen to the crew's suggestions and concerns, and if a crew member hates a certain section -- they try not to schedule them there. Most of my managers are awesome and make it fun.

- The corporate management, though? Careful... you guys are getting more and more corporate by the day. In a time when you're now trying to compete with Amazon/Whole Foods, go back to your values. A great company that offers great pay will attract great talent and great workers. Customers like shopping where there are great workers. My store has some. I've even heard customers say, "I love shopping here because of the people who work here!" Do not lose sight of that for more profit. If you keep chipping away at employee's pockets, they WILL jump ship.

"Management"

Current Employee - Crew Member
    Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People you work with, customers, insurance, product, path

Cons

It's hard work and you will get hurt

Advice to Management

It's terrible that a mate or manager has the power if they don't like you to take away your raise. I recently had that happen to me after being there for a number of years and always getting a good review. This mate has always been nasty and is not liked by many. I just never experienced it until now. So I would say the store is great but one manager can destroy it in a matter of minutes.

"TJ's more corporate less employee!"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and the team of crew members (your experience may differ). You're never stuck doing the same job within the store and often are given a lot of autonomy if you are trusted by the mates (managers).

Cons

The company is becoming more corporate and in their quest to expand the company they have chosen to decrease raises year on year. Although yes the pay is above the average minimum wage, it may not be long before the company takes the plunge and decides to give less and less and pile on more work. They have really no effective hiring method that weeds out lazy workers, thus leaving those that care to work overtime and break their backs to keep the store running.

Advice to Management

Please don't forget what the company is built on, the crew is the company and they are the reason why the company has the reputation that it does. Cutting raises, breaking our backs, and not trying to grow morale is going to leave you with angry crew members that leads to bad service.

"Still good for retail. Not so good for Trader Joe's"

Pros

One of best in grocery business to work for. Good benefits. Not stuck on one task or department. Fun, loose environment.

Cons

Poorly trained management
    Poorly trained employees
    More turnover. Less people who know the history and culture of the company
    Anyone who has been with the company more than three years can tell the difference in the quality of the managers and crew.

Advice to Management

As you grow you need to train your management team better and also screening for new employees

8. "Warehouse Manager"

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the people are great and the full time employees have great knowledge of the store history and culture.

Cons

Hours were hard to come by and you had to work really hard to get a full 35+ hours a week.

Advice to Management

When dealing with a suspicious customer please try to help and not insult by calling the name wally when they enter the store. I had manager joke with me stating I thought you were a wally when I walked in with my street clothes on my day off. I never looked at the company the same after that.

"CREW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Affordable items that crew can purchase

Cons

Mates only give enjoyable and easy tasks to people they like while they overwork everyone else
    Lifting and standing for long hours with no break
    Crew members not working together
    They pretend you matter, yet scold you for being too vocal
    You wont get to be a mate unless a mate favors you. its not based on hard work

Advice to Management

Stop being hypocrites

10. "Not all it's cracked up to be"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers and more relaxed environment than other retail companies.

Cons

Your experience can be tainted by poor managers. Also, physical injuries and strains (from lifting, bagging, and shelving) abound.

Advice to Management

If you're not a people person, take a class or seminar and sharpen those skills otherwise you'll have difficulty relating to your staff.

Showing 347 of 1,965 reviews