Trader Joe's Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 158 reviews)

• An open work environment to all different types of people (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be making less than crew members, but have a ton more responsibilities (in 128 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

"best"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

everyone is really nice, and understanding. Tasks are fairly simple. Never lift with your back!

Cons

no cons for this location

Advice to Management

doin great

"Great culture & customers"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Hermosa Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Hermosa Beach, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's (More than a year)

Pros

low stress, fun environment. low starting pay but benefits and culture help

Cons

low starting pay but opportunity for .60-.80 raise every 6mo.

Advice to Management

start new hires who have more experience at a higher wage

3. "Okay With me..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone works and not just watch

Cons

lot of tension behind the scenes

Advice to Management

Treat part-timers better, managers are not gods...they are wrong many times

5. "I go to work, I have fun all day while I work, and oh yeah they pay us too. It is a busy place, but it goes by quick"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many days you can be at work and find yourself hanging out with customers because the environment makes it feel like party food shopping.

Cons

You can find yourself at a register engaged in some pretty inappropriate commentary by the customers. Somehow paying for food gives them the right to tell you anything.

Advice to Management

keep letting your people enjoy what they do

"Crew Member 4 yrs"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Edgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Edgewater, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible availability
    -Laid back environment (but it's changing new managers trying to prove themselves)
    -Friendly coworkers

I really don't know where to start. This particular store is different from any other Trader Joe's. A lot has probably changed since I've worked there. I heard they expanded as well.

If you're looking for a relative easy position this might be the job for you. Honestly, it's perfect if you're in school.

Be careful though, many of your coworker are lazy. Albeit, they are for the most part nice and funny if you buy into their thing. Generally though everyone is pretty laid back.

You can get frustrated because you may be working your tail off, but you're coworkers are chatting away or taking their 9th "5min" break. But it's like any other job. I think starting pay is $10, but you can manage your way to $12.

Cons

-Lazy coworkers
    -Some passive aggressive people
    -Slowly beats you down after few years

7. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

high pay, flexible, positive environment

Cons

lack of communication in management

8. "Great Retail Company"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great coworkers
    - Decent amount of freedom with tasks
    - Flexible hours

Cons

- Mates have a tendency to stick to the rules rather than try something unique

Advice to Management

- Trust your Crew Members to do their jobs

9. "crew member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are good at what they do, very helpful and do the job sufficiently. The help those that help themselves if people have questions they try their best to answer them.

Cons

The people are great, they sometimes have an attitude problem. But well adjusted. The people are super otherwise.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You are the best you can be, and the people are wonderful. The company is super.

10. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, raise every six months, flexible hours, yearly bonus

Cons

Limited advancement, work weekends

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great way to earn a decent wage without a college degree. You don't even need a H.S. degree, I believe.
    -You can get a raise every six months. It's not guaranteed but it's pretty easy to get...Just do the work and be nice. Don't call out or show up late all the time.
    -Dental and vision available if you work 3-days a week. Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield if you work 30hrs a week. You can accomplish this by working 5 days a week or 4 days and picking up someone's shift every now and then. You can also work at night and stay late to reach the total number of hours required during a measurement period (every 6 months).
    -Since there are over 200ppl working there you have a good chance of working the schedule you want. Some people like to work early in the morning. Others like to work at night. Many have 2nd jobs, school and/or other obligations.
    -The managers are really positive for the most part. When you start they're patient and understanding. As long as you do your best, they're cool.
    -Your co-workers end up being like a family. There are some really good people you will work with.
    -TJs contributes the equivalent of 10% of what you earn to a 401K. You don't have to match it. They do it on their own. It just takes about 6yrs for it to fully vest.

Cons

-It can be really, REALLY exhausting. You'll be lifting heavy boxes of apples and jars of sauces and gallons of milk. Even the older crew in their 50s and 60s hustle. We work even harder when the store is closed. In the morning we’re scrambling to get ½ the store packed out before we open and at night we’re scrambling to get the other ½ of the store packed out so we’re not there after 2-3am.
    -If you want to earn more money, the only way to do it is to become a manager (mate). Crew members train new people and write orders for different sections of the store but receive no extra pay for it. Writing an order is a huge responsibility as it can mean not enough kale or too much that ends up going bad. It can directly affect the profitability of the store.
    -Speaking of mates, if you become one, you'll be expected to work 10hr shifts, will be bounced to different stores sometimes on a day’s notice and if you close at night, you'll have to stay until everything is completed no matter what.
    -Which brings me to another issue. If you close at night and have to leave at your designated time, the mates won't say anything but will be disappointed if you don't finish your section...Why? Because they'll have to do it.
    -There's no human resources department. At the Brooklyn (Court St.) Store there are around 250 employees working there. The general manager (Captain) is your judge and jury. He can fire you at will. Fortunately he's pretty cool so you won't have to worry about walking on eggshells. Still, it would be nice to have an HR Dept. for sexual harassment, racism and inappropriate behavior issues that arise.
    -For example, there's a person who has been writing the order for one of our most important sections for years. He calls his female co-workers, “baby” and “honey” instead of their names and has a macho attitude when talking to the guys. He’s a hard worker but many people don’t like to work in this section because of it including me. The captain, however, has an incentive to keep him in that capacity; it’s better for the store’s profitability. The worker has no incentive to change his behavior. He’s been in that same position for years and the captain is supposed to change the roles of the employees so no one person does the same thing and nothing else. I don't want to say anything because I have no faith that my concerns will remain anonymous.

Advice to Management

(The Ugly)
    -During reviews a couple co-workers were given a bonus of $500 in addition to their raise. The captain told them to keep it a secret from their co-workers. How do I know? Because one of the recipients told almost everyone at the store s/he got the "secret" bonus. I and many other crew members were given great reviews. There was nothing negative about them but I suppose there must be an additional criteria that we're not even told about by which we have no idea how we're being judged.
    -If you are a champion brown-noser, you will go far in this store. Earlier in my time here at BK TJs I dismissed the claims made by my co-workers that the captain has favorites but I have witnessed it and it discourages folks. Trader Joe's isn't supposed to be about secret bonuses or promoting those who only smile for and engage mates. We're a team of hardworking employees who makes the store a success only by working together. Being nice to one another should be as important as being nice to the customers and to management.

Showing 642 of 1,772 reviews