Trader Joe's Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 25, 2017
1,707 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,707 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 147 reviews)

• Crew Members cap out at 21 dollars an hour (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, mediocre crew members getting promoted to managerial positions (in 125 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

1. "Crew"

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time

Pros

friendly place, benefits, pay raise every 6 months

Cons

customer service, cap off pay rate, need to work super hard to be guaranteed full time

"Crew Member"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool staff, Never boring, Great benefits

Cons

On your feet the entire shift, lots of micromanagement, floating schedule

Advice to Management

Good employees and bad employees should be identified and given responsibilities accordingly, a lot of times hard work doesn't pay off.

3. "Fun, but exhausting"

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, the crew is like a family, and will help you deal with the crazy customers. Flexible with schedules and it has a great pay. If you are friendly, have a unique and fun personality, you will do great at TJs. If you aren't fun and personable, then don't apply cause you will not get hired, or the crew will eat you alive.

Cons

Physically demanding and exhausting. Most people I have worked with have had a lot of work related injuries which led to surgeries. Night shifts can be rough, but with a good crew, they can help the time fly by. Managers can be frustrating to work with, especially the ones who micro manage. A lot of them don't seem to care about the crew and they just want the work done. But they also have a lot of pressure to do well. If you become a manager ( a mate) then be prepared not to have a life outside of work. It's nearly impossible to get fired there, but if they don't like you, they will make work a living hell for you. To the point where you quit or do something to get fired. Also be prepared to deal with a huge variety of customers. Some of them are great, and I have made a few friends. But other shoppers can be cruel and mean, and really brings the moral down. Each store has it pros and cons, it really just depends where you live. Also, since the pay is really good, a lot of people are stuck there. Most people started working there in college, but realized that they make more money there then they would at a job in there degree field. So just be careful if you don't want this to be your life long career.

Advice to Management

Listen to the crew more. Don't micromanage, and be better communicators. we are all on the same team, and we have to all work together.

5. "good job overall, especially as a student"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great coworkers, never boring, friendly atmosphere, focus on customer service, management easy to work with, good pay

Cons

hours fluctuate greatly, which can be very difficult for full time staff, near the end I was called off most of my shifts; inconsistencies in policies at times, very physical

6. "Seasonal Store Associate"

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

Everyone were really nice and sweet. You are not stuck doing one task all day. Every couple hours you will be switched between stock, cashier, sample, facing products or running carts.

Cons

None that I can remember.

"Decent Wages, Shady Accountability"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, eclectic peers, above average wages, and an employee matched 401K. Great energy, good people, and over-all a more relaxed attitude towards work. Folks with consistency in customer service will do well.

Cons

Every region is at the whims of the out-sourced product distribution. This means that the store might have drivers who aren't vetted the same way an employee of Trader Joe's is. Also, these product warehouses have no spoilage capacity, so occasionally you receive a pallet with a dozen boxes filled with rotting kale that needs to be dealt with in the very limited store space.

Advice to Management

Any and all disciplinary action taken against employees should be in writing, not hearsay or some mysterious logbook that no one knows about. The East Coast operations' methods are questionable. Also, I found myself training new crew members about how to enroll in benefits--which should have been a necessary managerial duty.

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing health benefits that are affordable (including free dental and vision for full-timers), good retirement plan, free gym membership, discount on my monthly phone bill, 24 hour crisis hotline with 5 free therapy sessions, 10% off groceries, awesome staff, tattoo/piercing/funky hair color friendly, opportunity to earn a raise every 6 months, fun work environment, flexible hours, great staff, job security, and you get to taste test almost anything in the store.

Cons

Strenuous physical labor, risk of being seriously injured, very fast paced, sink or swim mentality, some favoritism, working with a lot of undetermined teenagers.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if there was more diversity when it comes to age. I feel like the older staff is kind of checked out at times and the younger staff goofs off too much to efficiently get their work done which puts more of a work load on the more responsible crew members.

Mates also need to be held responsible if they poorly write a log. Giving a crew member a large section to close by themselves and more customer experience time than product time (for example: being solely responsible for closing wet produce and only having two hours during an 8 hour shift to work the section) is a problem.

Other than that, I love my job and am proud to be a Trader Joe's crew member. I feel like part of a family. I've never had a job that I actually look forward to going to and feel accomplished at the end of my shift. I was a customer for 20 years before joining the crew and I honestly love my job. I get excited about sharing new products as well as old favorites with customers, I enjoy most of the staff I work with, and I look forward to being challenged. The benefits are fantastic and I am so grateful the company I work for takes such good care of me and my family.

9. "Review Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours made some good friends

Cons

Frustrating policies veterans treat new people poorly

10. "hard work rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits , great hours , great management , advancement possibilities ,happy employees

Cons

hard labor, you better be in shape, a small bit of favortism on scheduling ,

11. "Excellent first job!"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Jose, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trader Joe's has good management and is a great irst retail job. The Slschedule is flexible and the job is straightforward.

Cons

Promotions take way too long, so it's not the best place to grow a career.

Advice to Management

Please focus more on employee relations- some of the employees mistreat others.

Showing 1,707 of 1,710 reviews