Trader Joe's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 24, 2017
1,744 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,744 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 153 reviews)

• An open work environment to all different types of people (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be making less than crew members, but have a ton more responsibilities (in 127 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

"Decent company to work for, but has gone downhill"

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Framingham, MA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Decent Benefits
    10% discount
    Paid time off, even at part time

Cons

There used to be 4 opportunities a year for raises, now only 2.
    Dollar raises were common back then, not any more
    They cut benefits. Used to be the best, but now you cant support a family with their benefits
    Long hours
    They started hiring more managers from outside, so alot of clueless management in the company now
    They used to promote alot within, but not so much anymore
    Constant revolving door of managers, since they move around alot

Advice to Management

Trust your veteran crew. Dont micromanage

2. "Good company, great benefits."

Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good people, managers are pretty solid, and it's a clean environment. The customers are also very nice, for the most part.

Cons

Job is based off of individual accountability, so you can end up picking up a lot of coworker slack. Hours can suck

3. "One of the greatest places to work"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Feels like you're part of a family. Work hard, but have a lot of fun. The customer's love you and you get to try amazing food and recommend things to people. Great pay and benefits. Overall a fantastic company.

Cons

Really hard to think of any. Maybe how tired you are after working because you're on your feet the whole time. Not good if you're not in shape. Also having to tell customers that things aren't in stock or no longer a product is kind of sad because you can see the disappointment in their eyes

Advice to Management

Keep being as awesome as you are. I love all the managers and feel like they really make it a family working a Trader Joe's.

5. "Pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Working at a grocery store gets kind of boring.

6. "good job overall, especially as a student"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great coworkers, never boring, friendly atmosphere, focus on customer service, management easy to work with, good pay

Cons

hours fluctuate greatly, which can be very difficult for full time staff, near the end I was called off most of my shifts; inconsistencies in policies at times, very physical

7. "Decent company"

Former Employee - Crew Member in West Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in West Hills, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good co-workers, team environment, good work atmosphere

Cons

Low raise increments, hard to move up

8. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Mate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Mate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people, fun products, ethical company, great pay, fabulous benefits

Cons

Hard to balance work with family life, especially for single parents

Advice to Management

Create better schedules for working parents who actually want to see their kids

9. "TJs review"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

employees are treated well. there are frequent food and wine tastings for employees to gain knowledge about the products.

Cons

sometimes have to deal with rude customers.

"Trader Joe's is Going Downhill FAST"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual, fun work environment (well, used to be at least).
    Met some lifelong best friends (very thankful for that).
    Flexible hours (that is, if they schedule you at all).

Cons

I was with Trader Joe's long enough to know what it USED to be like. Believe me, I LOVED my job for a long time. However, in recent years, Trader Joe's has demonstrated that they no longer care about their employees or the core values that they traditionally have held in high regard. "Integrity," "No Bureaucracy," "Neighborhood Grocery Store" - PFFFT, what a joke.

Of course much of the employee experience stems from the specific management team you are currently working with, but the company as a whole has gone way downhill as far as showing appreciation for their hard-working crew. Benefits and bonuses have decreased, and the current review process is unfair and subjective (it is now an all-or-nothing system vs. the sliding scale it used to be).

Communication between managers and feedback towards crewmembers is essentially nonexistent. Therefore, you quite likely will have no idea what might come up in your biannual review (oftentimes things that aren't even true). It also all depends on if the mate writing your review likes you or not. And of course there is no way to "prove" that any falsities in your performance reviews are untrue. Management's word against yours. It is so heartbreaking and discouraging to be told you are doing a terrible job, without having ANY indication you were doing anything wrong the entire time you had been working so hard. They have absolutely no hesitations in throwing you under the bus.

When you try to talk with managers, they pretend to listen, but never attempt to make any actual changes. Many of them are clearly only looking out for themselves. On the same note, they have an employee satisfaction survey, but nothing ever comes of it and it is never spoken about again. I always wondered if they even bother reading them. Absolutely no accountability at any level.

Training is a joke. You can and will be reprimanded for doing something wrong when you were never actually taught the correct way.

Hours get cut for veteran crewmembers while they continue to hire rounds and rounds of new people. So disrespectful for people who worked for years to earn the shifts that they rely on to survive. Turnover used to be very minimal, but just continues to increase - that should really tell you something.

They used to foster the individuality and quirkiness of their crewmembers, which was part of the whole fun Trader Joe's shopping experience. Customers loved it. But it is clearly not what they are going for anymore, as many of the "old timers" (crew AND management) have been forced out to make way for the new way of doing things. Hopefully they will be able to find hoards of painfully boring yes-men to fit the profile they are apparently looking for now. They're going to have a lot of spots to fill from all of the veteran crewmembers they've alienated and pushed out of the company. Have fun working for a bunch of spineless corporate shills.

Favoritism and sexism also run rampant in every store I've worked in. Typical Boys Club in most stores.

The company has changed tremendously in the last 4-5 years, and unfortunately not for the better. As they continue to expand, it is clear that Trader Joe's is becoming just like every other miserable national grocery store chain.

This used to be a company that I could see myself working at forever, but after almost 8 years I left the company with a very unpleasant taste in my mouth. Such a shame when all I ever did was sing the highest praises of my job and the company I had been with for a large portion of my life. I took a large paycut in order to rid my life of an emotionally abusive employer and grueling physical labor, and to be honest, I'm making the same now as I was at Trader Joe's because at least I get 40 hours a week at my new job.

Please read the other critical reviews. I promise they are not lying. There are so many others, many of whom were with the company as long as or longer than me, who have had the same experiences I have.

Advice to Management

Please PLEASE communicate with and care about your employees. They spend so much time and energy keeping the stores afloat, and really are the backbone of Trader Joe's. They deserve to be treated with respect and told "thank you" once in a while. The crew are the real superstars of Trader Joe's and are a major part in what sets it apart from other grocery stores. When you have unhappy crewmembers, it not only decreases productivity, but reflects poorly on the entire company.

When an employee comes to you for feedback or with an issue, please help them. It is so terrifying to feel like everyone is against you and that there is no one you can talk to. Give feedback BEFORE review periods so crewmembers can work on improving before it becomes part of their record. Remember to give positive feedback and encouragement, instead of just telling employees what they are doing wrong, which is incredibly demotivating. You should be really be approaching crewmembers with feedback rather than forcing THEM to corner YOU. It's your job. That's what managing is. If you can't help your employees be the best they can be, then why are you in a mate position? It should really be about supporting and building up your crew, rather than promoting the cannibalistic environment so many of us have experienced in recent years.

Give the sign artists the support they need. They have so much on their plate and are really just trying their best to help make the store look awesome, which is another thing that makes Trader Joe's, well, Trader Joe's. Don't stifle their creativity and spirit.

And for goodness sake, just let the crewmembers wear headphones after hours. It's really not that big of a deal.

"crew"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly fun place to work. Customers say it looks like a fun place to work. Not stuck in doing one thing all day long. Great co-workers, customers

Cons

NO paid holidays, AR (absence reserve) accrued at 3% until 5 yrs then 5% forever. So, after years of service you only get 2 weeks paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday). Used to get 15.4% retirement, based on pay by TJ's now it's 10%. Used to get full benefits at 20 hours now the excuse to raise it to 30 hours is ACA--hogwash, Starbucks and Costco did not do that to their people. Grew so big, bottom line is more important than employees.

Advice to Management

Employees are your greatest asset. Customers second. Without the fabulous employees you wouldn't have such loyal customers.

Showing 1,744 of 1,748 reviews