Trader Joe's Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

4.3
Trader Joe's Chairman and CEO Dan Bane
Dan Bane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits when you're there as a full time worker (in 168 reviews)

• The work environment was fun and for the most part you get friendly customers (in 117 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be making less than crew members, but have a ton more responsibilities (in 127 reviews)

• It's nearly impossible to have a consistent schedule which makes it difficult for work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

1. "Crew Member"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities for management, wage and performance review every 6 months, paid time off, excellent health benefits if you work over 30 hours per week.

Cons

Heavy lifting, very fast paced work environment, may have to use heavy equipment to unload truck, opportunities for raises not as high as in the past.

Advice to Management

Excellent management. Positive work environment. Receptive to constructive feedback, and opportunities available to for section leadership and order writing as available. Feedback regarding performance available regularly.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The the 401K and the insurance are wonderful! The non-traditional hours (not 9-5) can be wonderful for certain people. National mobility. Low stress. Decent pay. Generally pleasant co-workers. Paid time off. Advancement opportunity.

Cons

Verbal abuse from customers. Odd hours. Inconsistent schedules.

"Great company until it's not"

Former Employee - Section Leader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Section Leader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers, casual work environment, great pay, discount on food items, excellent customer base and full time access to healthy foods

Cons

Casual environment can get too casual. Sometimes hard to get things done when management is loathe to actually manage staff.

Advice to Management

man up! Have the hard conversations and help keep stores running smoothly.

"best"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

everyone is really nice, and understanding. Tasks are fairly simple. Never lift with your back!

Cons

no cons for this location

Advice to Management

doin great

"Trader Joe's is Going Downhill FAST"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual, fun work environment (well, used to be at least).
    Met some lifelong best friends (very thankful for that).
    Flexible hours (that is, if they schedule you at all).

Cons

I was with Trader Joe's long enough to know what it USED to be like. Believe me, I LOVED my job for a long time. However, in recent years, Trader Joe's has demonstrated that they no longer care about their employees or the core values that they traditionally have held in high regard. "Integrity," "No Bureaucracy," "Neighborhood Grocery Store" - PFFFT, what a joke.

Of course much of the employee experience stems from the specific management team you are currently working with, but the company as a whole has gone way downhill as far as showing appreciation for their hard-working crew. Benefits and bonuses have decreased, and the current review process is unfair and subjective (it is now an all-or-nothing system vs. the sliding scale it used to be).

Communication between managers and feedback towards crewmembers is essentially nonexistent. Therefore, you quite likely will have no idea what might come up in your biannual review (oftentimes things that aren't even true). It also all depends on if the mate writing your review likes you or not. And of course there is no way to "prove" that any falsities in your performance reviews are untrue. Management's word against yours. It is so heartbreaking and discouraging to be told you are doing a terrible job, without having ANY indication you were doing anything wrong the entire time you had been working so hard. They have absolutely no hesitations in throwing you under the bus.

When you try to talk with managers, they pretend to listen, but never attempt to make any actual changes. Many of them are clearly only looking out for themselves. On the same note, they have an employee satisfaction survey, but nothing ever comes of it and it is never spoken about again. I always wondered if they even bother reading them. Absolutely no accountability at any level.

Training is a joke. You can and will be reprimanded for doing something wrong when you were never actually taught the correct way.

Hours get cut for veteran crewmembers while they continue to hire rounds and rounds of new people. So disrespectful for people who worked for years to earn the shifts that they rely on to survive. Turnover used to be very minimal, but just continues to increase - that should really tell you something.

They used to foster the individuality and quirkiness of their crewmembers, which was part of the whole fun Trader Joe's shopping experience. Customers loved it. But it is clearly not what they are going for anymore, as many of the "old timers" (crew AND management) have been forced out to make way for the new way of doing things. Hopefully they will be able to find hoards of painfully boring yes-men to fit the profile they are apparently looking for now. They're going to have a lot of spots to fill from all of the veteran crewmembers they've alienated and pushed out of the company. Have fun working for a bunch of spineless corporate shills.

Favoritism and sexism also run rampant in every store I've worked in. Typical Boys Club in most stores.

The company has changed tremendously in the last 4-5 years, and unfortunately not for the better. As they continue to expand, it is clear that Trader Joe's is becoming just like every other miserable national grocery store chain.

This used to be a company that I could see myself working at forever, but after almost 8 years I left the company with a very unpleasant taste in my mouth. Such a shame when all I ever did was sing the highest praises of my job and the company I had been with for a large portion of my life. I took a large paycut in order to rid my life of an emotionally abusive employer and grueling physical labor, and to be honest, I'm making the same now as I was at Trader Joe's because at least I get 40 hours a week at my new job.

Please read the other critical reviews. I promise they are not lying. There are so many others, many of whom were with the company as long as or longer than me, who have had the same experiences I have.

Advice to Management

Please PLEASE communicate with and care about your employees. They spend so much time and energy keeping the stores afloat, and really are the backbone of Trader Joe's. They deserve to be treated with respect and told "thank you" once in a while. The crew are the real superstars of Trader Joe's and are a major part in what sets it apart from other grocery stores. When you have unhappy crewmembers, it not only decreases productivity, but reflects poorly on the entire company.

When an employee comes to you for feedback or with an issue, please help them. It is so terrifying to feel like everyone is against you and that there is no one you can talk to. Give feedback BEFORE review periods so crewmembers can work on improving before it becomes part of their record. Remember to give positive feedback and encouragement, instead of just telling employees what they are doing wrong, which is incredibly demotivating. You should be really be approaching crewmembers with feedback rather than forcing THEM to corner YOU. It's your job. That's what managing is. If you can't help your employees be the best they can be, then why are you in a mate position? It should really be about supporting and building up your crew, rather than promoting the cannibalistic environment so many of us have experienced in recent years.

Give the sign artists the support they need. They have so much on their plate and are really just trying their best to help make the store look awesome, which is another thing that makes Trader Joe's, well, Trader Joe's. Don't stifle their creativity and spirit.

And for goodness sake, just let the crewmembers wear headphones after hours. It's really not that big of a deal.

6. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Crew Member in El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding work environment, fun people to work with and for

Cons

Honestly, can't really think of any

7. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

Pros

Friendly coworkers and managers. Good benefits.

Cons

I have none so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's (More than a year)

Pros

Great communal/team attitude among coworkers. Mates were always receptive to crew member ideas, criticisms, and kept and open dialogue on what their expectations were. Was a great entry level job and provided great experience.

Cons

Limited to part time unless you are a Mate (Manager) so there are certain limitations to the position. They do provide opportunity to grow and are very flexible though.

Advice to Management

You run a unique company and it is successful for a reason. Continue to grow based on your original values.

9. "crewmember"

Former Employee - Crew Member in San Diego, CA

Pros

working with a great group of people
    benefits... really exceptional

Cons

schedule.. crazy hours
    customer service part can really be taxing

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Oceanside, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sense of community between you and the customers; relaxed and friendly atmosphere; freedom to make a difference within the work place; ability to advance your skills with money management, product, keeping track of inventory.

Cons

Your work is constant; a lot of heavy lifting; dealing with irate customers.

Showing 34 of 1,869 reviews