Trader Joe's "crew members" Reviews | Glassdoor

Trader Joe's Employee Reviews about "crew members"

Updated Dec 5, 2019

4.3
Pros
Cons
  • "Management is not a diverse representation of the crew members(in 184 reviews)

• "Mates/captains sometimes pick favorites which leads to distrust in the store(in 183 reviews)

Reviews about "crew members"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Positive"

Current Employee - Crew

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trader Joe’s is an excellent company to work for. The crew members are autonomous and trusted, while leadership is active and encouraging. Culturally, TJ’s is a loved market- so most customers are happy to be there.

Cons

There is plenty of lifting! This is only a con if you are limited in this regard. However, there are all sorts of opportunities for many throughout the store.

Trader Joe's2019-10-04
  2. "Great Place to work if you enjoy a faced paced environment"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

No day is exactly the same. Great customer and co-worker friends. Salary and benefits well above industry standards if you stick around.

Cons

Management in store can be hit or miss. No growth opportunities for crew members unless you want to be a mate

Trader Joe's2019-12-05

"Easy, busy, super public"

Former Employee - Team Member in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting products, fun & relaxed environment, friendly, ability to work as a team and autonomously, insurance, store discount, ability to advance

Cons

Not every crew member has the same work ethic, management can be unorganized, hours are capped, slow advancement

Trader Joe's2019-12-01
  4. "Not bad but not long term"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Orange, CT

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

~often understanding of last minute schedule changes or call outs ~reviews twice a year ~decent health insurance offered ~sometimes a fun place to work

Cons

~men get paid more than women even if the women have more experience ~favoritism(lazy crew members getting away with their laziness) ~mates/managers not learning how to manage for Trader Joe’s values ~disorganized crew ~often not safe work environment for injuries and trans/non-binary workers

Advice to Management

Less favoritism and more communication

Trader Joe's2019-11-19

"Flexible, but Chaotic"

Current Employee - Crew Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible - it's a great side gig or while you're in school. Management is 9 time out of 10 good with sudden changes to availability or working unusual hours. People - my coworkers have been some of my greatest and most understanding friends. They are in the same shoes as you are, so they get a lot of the things you go through in your life at TJ's.

Cons

Pay - new hires are paid more than employees that have been with the company for years. It's ridiculous. When minimum wage goes up, your current employees should get a bump - not just new hires. Management - the mates and captains are hit-or-miss. A lot of times it seems like they weren't crew members for a long time, so they can't empathize with what their employees experience. Some of the managers are great! But... I've seen good ones become controlling, or play favorites, or care WAY too much about their jobs. At the end of the day, it's a grocery store.

Advice to Management

Live out the values more. If integrity is so important to the company, you should be looking out for your bottom line. They're often the most dedicated and they're not getting paid for it.

Trader Joe's2019-11-11
  6. "Decent Company Overall, Still Somewhat Corporate"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Full time benefits are very nice and certainly affordable. Health insurance around $80/mo for a family. No match for 401k, but they do contribute one lump sum each year equal to 10% of your yearly wages. Store culture is generally positive, yet heavily dependent on managers and varies wildly from store to store. Opportunities to move up in company if you're determined. Bi-yearly raises up to $1.20 a year.

Cons

Store management changes completely every 2 years or so. This can make for positive changes, or extremely negative ones. Retail hours--expect many late nights and weekend shifts. Horrible on your body, most long-term crew members suffer from chronic pain due to physical demands of job. HR seems to have little to no interest in the voice of workers. LGBTQ groups seem to be targeted as 'troublemakers' by corporate,... especially in regards to preferred pronouns.

Advice to Management

Empower crew members. Raise wages.

Trader Joe's2019-10-10

"Drug-induced Disneyland"

Current Employee - Crew in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products, brand, company. Fun coworkers. Great pay.

Cons

Drug dependent crew members are plentiful yet perform at a sub-par level.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees who forgo the consumption of illicit substances. Those employees who depend on drugs including mates should be in treatment funded by your company. If it's happening at this store, it's happening at other stores as well, and I would argue that at least 15% of your crew/mates combined cannot come to work sober. A number of your employees either cannot or will not consume illicit substances out... of respect for the rules/law, even though they might want to do so. Reward them during review period by taking this into consideration. If you want to curb drug use on the job, incentivize the complacent ones or fire them.

Trader Joe's2019-09-16

"Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Arroyo Grande, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is very fair, company is good about flexible hours and vacation. Some of the best most helpful and cheerful people work here, and management has only ever been very fair to me, and they treat every store like a family.

Cons

Crew Member can be very physical and tiresome work (but I personally enjoy that aspect). Can encounter customers who are rude or down right strange, as it is bound to happen in any retail job.

Trader Joe's2019-08-14
  9. "Excellent experience, but be prepared to work hard"

Former Employee - Mate

I worked at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture, values, active pace, great opportunities to learn and grow, benefits

Cons

There is no real middle ground between management and regular crew members.

Trader Joe's2019-08-13
  10. "Great Job for Students"

Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than a year

Pros

- First of all, the pay is nice relative to the responsibility. In my region, we are given bi-annual reviews with the potential for raises after each review. Not sure how that compares to other locations, but its nice to know that as long as a crew member continues to perform well and meet expectations they can expect a decent pay increase each year. - Second, I really, really like my fellow crew members. Again,... this varies from location to location, but my TJ's store is close to a college which means we have a young and lively crew. I've made many lasting friendships during my time at TJ's. - Third, given that we hire a lot of college aged crew members, the captain and mates at my store are all very considerate and accommodating of school schedules. It makes the school/work balance a little easier. I know much of this info only seems relevant to my store in particular, and it is in some senses, but what I'm trying to convey is that the culture at each TJ's is slightly different and is molded by the community. So if you like a young working environment, look for a TJ's near a college or university. If you like something a little more mature, look for a TJ's in an established suburban community perhaps. The size and the culture of each TJ's scales and adapts to the community it serves (hence the "neighborhood" part of the TJ's tagline). From my experience, TJ's is not a cookie-cutter grocer like some other larger national chains.

Cons

- Every mate's management style is different which means every working day is slightly different. Some mates micro-manage. Others expect you to figure things out for yourself. If you like consistent structure you may find this to be an annoyance. - Communication between mates and crew is sometimes lacking which is frustrating.

Trader Joe's2019-08-21