Trader Vic's Reviews | Glassdoor

Trader Vic's Reviews

Updated June 9, 2017

Peter Seely

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good, but for a short-time"

I have been working at Trader Vic's full-time

Pros

- Emeryville has competitive wages
    - Friendly atmosphere

Cons

- Corporate always in conflict with middle-managers
    - Not easily accessible without a car

Advice to Management

Managers have power to make or break the overall culture of the restaurant. Make sure managers have experience on the floor.

2. "Trader Vic's"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Trader Vic's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good ambiance, great cocktails, nice view of the City

Cons

Poor leadership, managers doesn't know how to run the business.

Advice to Management

Needs to attend Management Training to know how to run the business and how to treat the employee equally

Trader Vic's Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for your review. We are sorry your experience was poor. We have begun to do bi-monthly manager trainings and hope that addresses some of your concerns. If you have more detailed feedback we... More

3. "Cocktail server"

Former Employee - Cocktail Server in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Cocktail Server in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great money, great atmosphere. Great menu of drinks and food, proud to serve such quality stuff and be a part of the 'first Mai tai' team

Cons

Horrible management. Lots of managers came and went. Only men Servers and women cocktail severs, should have been more spread out.

Advice to Management

Put the guests first! The management was so covered with their bottom line they forgot what the priority should be, the guests experience!

4. "Lack of Transparency, but a fun group."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Trader Vic's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All staff have great work ethic and strive for the best when it comes to pleasing guests. Training is fairly standardized and managers are pretty understanding. A fun group of people to work with.

Cons

Middle-management often pressured by corporate which places a lot of stress onto employees. A CEO who has an attitude and plays favorites. No ability to "move-up" here due to politics. When I worked here, breaks were not mandated and were not until a lawsuit filed against the company.

Advice to Management

Be little more transparent with your practices. Your servers and other staff are not expendable. There should be a balance of power regarding in-house managers and corporate managers. Also, don't wait until worst case scenario before things get fixed.

5. "Great waiting experience, had an excellent manager who willing to work with employees and flex schedule."

Former Employee - Wait Staff in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Wait Staff in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Trader Vic's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

clean, interesting food and history, fun, flexible scheduling, try to help as much as possible.

Cons

far away from home, sometimes the employees could be tempermental, chef tempermental, some customers not satisfied.

Advice to Management

compensation, personal growth in company

"They've lost control of their Franchise and Brand"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trader Vic's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my co-workers! Because it was such a revolving door, I had the opportunity to meet tons of smart, talented, and interesting people. Although we were taken advantage of and cheated out of our hard-earned money, we stuck together and tried to remain loyal and positive. There were a few corporate-appointed managers that came in and out of our doors that truly cared about adhering to the Trader Vic's brand and that gave me hope that my particular location would survive, but they were short-lived. I fell in love with Trader Vic's years ago because no matter where you went in the world, I could order the same Mai Tai that brought up happy memories of my childhood.

Cons

The owners of the Trader Vic's Los Angeles at LA Live are a bunch of crooks. They opened their franchise in May 2009 and it closed abruptly in March 2014. I worked there the entire time and I witnessed stealing, lies, and cheating. They cut corners in order to put more money into their own pockets and remain above water. Employees were never offered any benefits or insurance and they got around that by cutting hours or letting people go. They altered the menu and traditional drinks (generic rum and no Mai Tai concentrate for the last 2 years I worked there) to suit the demographics of the location and that hurt the Trader Vic's brand that people loved and cherished for over 75 years. It was sad to see such an iconic place sink at the hands of these individuals. I blame corporate for not keeping a closer eye on these people. I woke up one day without a job after giving my time and service for 5 years. It's unfair and very unfortunate. Generations today will not be able to appreciate what Trader Vic's really is because of this franchise location and it's owners.

Advice to Management

I advise you all to keep a closer eye on your franchises and have a corporate secret shopper team that visits these franchises and ensures that these business owners are adhering to the values and brand of Trader Vic's. It is not enough to conduct a 2 week long training course and then leave the owners up to their own devices. I applaud you for shutting down the location and taking back your name, but 5 years is too long to wait and hard-working employees are left in the dark.

7. "Operations Manager"

I worked at Trader Vic's full-time

Pros

Very International
    Fast paced
    Dynamic
    Fun Concept
    Franchise Support

Cons

Not much room for growth within the corporate