Tradeshift Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2020

2.8
Tradeshift CEO Christian Lanng
Christian Lanng
Pros
  • "Great approach to work/life balance and family leave(in 17 reviews)

• "A great place if you want to work in a growing company but there is a price to it(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "But quite recently (7-8 months), there has been a lot of pivoting with the product that it was obvious that no one knew where they were heading towards(in 13 reviews)

• "Another round of layoff is to come since TS Cash is another scam(in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Exceptional"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time for more than a year

Pros

Over the last three months, the company‘s response to COVID-19 has been incredible. They’ve shown a tremendous amount of empathy and care for all the employees around the world. Weekly emails, encouraging the employees along with company updates from the CEO were very helpful. They were very quick to close their offices, keeping employees and their families safe. Then, with all the attention around BLM, the company has once again shown their true colors by what they’ve said to employees, but more importantly, the way I see them behaving. Adding Juneteenth as a US holiday was a bold move that I really appreciated.

Cons

Tradeshift is growing fast. You have to be willing to pivot when necessary. You need to be ready for change, because there’s a lot of it. Tradeshift is also doing a lot of work from home, but at least it looks like you get to choose if you want to be in an office or at home. If you love being in the office all the time full of employees, that might be difficult, but that’s probably going to be difficult for every company

Tradeshift Response

June 24, 2020VP of People

Thanks for your feedback. Seeing that it is making a difference to our employees reaffirms that we are making the right decisions for everyone at Tradeshift. We are really proud of the work we have done in response to COVID-19 and the approach to what we can all do together to move forward in regards to social injustice and BLM. If you would like to talk to me or anyone on my team about this further, we are always open to more ideas and solutions.

"Great company culture with tons of opportunity to make a name for yourself"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time

Pros

-Fast paced environment - Great culture -Everyone is willing to help, no matter what their title is

Cons

-Multiple pivots of company focus in short time -Challenging to allocate resources appropriately due to above

"Great place to work if you don't want to work at all"

2.0

I worked at Tradeshift full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tradeshift wasn't the worst place I've worked at. The people are really nice, the culture is very laid back, and no one really works. The work/life balance was pretty good - I never really felt stressed or anxious about work.

Cons

There's no career growth at Tradeshift, small pay raises, a complete lack of transparency, and major egos plague Tradeshift. Why go to Davos when you planned to layoff 20% of the workforce? Spending up to 7 figures to do coke with people who have inflated egos makes no sense. But the CEO wants to pretend like he's Elon Musk (who's a terrible role model) so the company is forced to play into his lunacy. Also, the product doesn't work and our customers hate us and refuse to pay us on time. Tradeshift will be the first company to have a negative NPS (seems impossible, but Tradeshift is up for the challenge!).

Continue reading

"Through a personal lens"

4.0

I worked at Tradeshift full-time for less than a year

Pros

I know there have been a lot of subpar reviews, and I was one of those laid off in January. However, I wanted to offer a more personal summary of my day to day experience while there, which was very nice. I had an excellent manager and worked within a small, but efficient team that was honestly a joy to be a part of. Being early in my career, this was a great jumping off point that has helped me both in experience and market myself to job prospects. I am happy to have worked at Tradeshift, even if it did end in a way that I was not expecting. There are some truly great people at the company at multiple levels and they’ve got a very solid vision that I do hope will succeed

Cons

Day to day there were some workflow kinks that could have been ironed out, and inter-team communication could be more robust

"Good Teammates, Suspect Product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Team mates are good. Specifically, the management team on the engineering side is good, especially the directors of engineering. - Some far-back employees. There are employees at the company who’ve been there since the SF office first opened. In SF times, that’s an accomplishment.

Cons

- Product is somewhat misguided. There’s a disconnect (at least to me) between executive leadership and leadership in engineering. The engineering side is _very_ good and, in my opinion, has a hard time communicating with the executives. - Sales team seems to be on fire.

"LIARS AND THIEVES"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tradeshift full-time for more than a year

Pros

MED BENEFITS, free food, it guy

Cons

EVERYTHING, management, pay discrepancies, dishonesty, creporting to hr gets you fired bc they get u report what happend laiming to help you but tell other individuals

Continue reading

"Sad to see what happened"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Tradeshift full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At one point, Tradeshift was a great place to work that had a bright future. Nice people, relaxed environment, good work life balance outside of time difference between offices

Cons

It is really sad to see a once promising company fall from grace. I wasn’t going to leave a review, but seeing the CEO boast on social media about the great news of a new investment round, while simultaneously laying off a huge portion of the staff on the very same day, is just cold-blooded and heartless. From unaccountability, to disappointing treatment of employees, there’s a bunch of things wrong at the core: - You can do anything, or nothing, and it would probably go unnoticed. - Lack of ownership from engineering teams - Product has potential, but needs serious focus on stability. - Raises are pathetic. In so called “best years in company history”, you’ll see a 2-3% raise. But it’s ok, certain upper level management are buying luxury 4 million dollar homes. - Company is extremely cheap in some areas, but extremely lavish in others. There’s no making sense of any of it.

Tradeshift Response

February 3, 2020VP of People

Thank you for your candid and honest feedback. We strive to be as open and transparent as possible with all of our employees and we are always thinking about how we can make Tradeshift a great place to work. We invite all our employees to collaborate with us on that goal and welcome your feedback. You will see many of our leaders visiting our offices globally to not only listen to our employees but to talk further about our future direction, which we believe is very exciting. The restructuring is not taken lightly. We recognize the impact on those who are leaving us and the contribution they made to help Tradeshift become what it is today. We have provided employees affected by the restructuring with severance packages that exceed statutory requirements globally, bonuses, and career search assistance. Although non-disclosure agreements restrict us from publicly commenting on financial details, we do want to assure you that we feel confident in our path forward and the resources we have to accomplish our goals. We also recognize that emotions are strong and real; we want to respect the different opinions our teams have. That said we are not sure where the numbers above come from as they don’t accurately represent what we have provided to our employees (merit increases, bonus amounts, etc.). Each business unit had greater than the 2%-3% you indicted to allocate to their team, and it was the business that determined the allocation percentages for individuals. Over the last month, as promised, we secured funding that will be used to help accelerate our growth and help provide a sustainable path to profitability in the near future (https://spendmatters.com/2020/01/14/tradeshift-has-240-million-funding-round-plans-to-restructure-and-focus-on-near-term-profitability/). The additional capital will be used to further drive growth across core product lines. We are conscious of the need to grow and grow responsible near term profitability; and sought to address our costs to bring overheads in line with revenue. The market has changed. We have some tremendous opportunities ahead as we accelerate towards profitability. That said, we, like many companies in our space, are having to make very difficult decisions in order to course-correct. If you have been affected by the restructuring and are no longer with us, we suggest that you take advantage of the career services provided.

"So many of these reviews are vengeful and angry. Tradeshift is great, and so are its leaders."

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time for less than a year

Pros

I wasn't planning on posting a review until I read some of these negative ones that drag Tradeshift's leadership in the mud. A bunch of these are rooted in real concerns, but are also clearly written with anger and emotion, do not accurately represent leadership at all, and aren't constructive to the people who want to make Tradeshift a better place to work. There's also a ton of exaggeration and speculation in these reviews. They don't reflect my experience working here. I've been lucky enough to interact with all three co-founders and work with them one-on-one. They're extremely down to earth, approachable, kind people. Nobody is elitist...if you want to sit down with them to talk about your concerns or just share lunch, you can do that here. No other company I've worked for has provided this level of transparency in light of changes happening in the company. Every executive I have spoken to has talked to me candidly and openly. They are doing the best that they can in light of choices that are difficult – for them and for employees as well. I have seen the level of care and consideration leadership puts into their decision making firsthand, and it makes me question a ton of these reviews. These aren't evil overlords ruling over the company, making irresponsible decisions or abusing their status. They're trying to do what's best for a company they've grown for 9+ years, a company they've put a lot more blood, sweat and tears into than a majority of these reviewers have I am SURE. I respect that they're making the decisions they think are best for the entire company because, well, it's their company. Outside of that, even the negative reviews will tell you that colleagues are great here. Everyone is nice, there's no "toxic work culture" I have ever witnessed. Hours are flexible (your bosses understand you have a life, kids, pets, family, etc), so working from home is too if you get the OK from your manager. Free food, drinks, and snacks are awesome. And PTO policy is also super flexible. The expectation here is if you get your work done, you have the ability to take time off to reset. There is also generous parental leave, amazing healthcare coverage (free for me) and additional benefits like a gym discount. I enjoy working here because I feel excited and inspired by our mission and vision. I have a great manager who listens to me, provides feedback, and trusts me to do my job well. I have experienced firsthand a group of executives that are just as "regular" as anyone else. At the end of the day this is also a business, and decisions will be made that every single person won't like. For the folks who are current employees but still on here spewing hate, I don't really get it. Tech is booming, jobs are pretty plentiful. Find a company that's a better fit if you hate it so much?

Cons

Having a global company that works across time zones can be difficult. This isn't so much a con as it is a fact of working for an international company. Some people have to schedule meetings very early or very late at night, which can get tiring after years. That being said, there is flexibility to work remote (and also leave early/come in late) if you do have calls at inconvenient times.

Continue reading

"Tradeshift Needs a New Pirate Ship Captain"

1.0

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like any company, there are some really passionate people in the company that want to be helpful and want the company to succeed. Also, the technology, while not perfect(no software is), is innovative and can provide lots of value for organizations that can fully understand the benefits and not looking for a point solution.

Cons

Management has the ability to rally the troops when times are good but have failed miserably when delivering bad news. The CEO has incredible passion for the business which is important but lets his emotions take over when people say true, but negative things about his business. Resorting to calling people names for posting negative reviews on Glassdoor is not something a leader does, it's something an inexperienced Manager does. His attitude through the difficult times has turned a fun culture into one of negativity and mistrust. It's hard to believe any figure that the CEO presents whether it be the market potential, funding, sales/revenue, etc because the basic math of the what is being presented doesn't add up and slides are swiftly changed and glossed over when the data is shown unless it's a completely positive message. It may not be the case, but it makes it seem like they are trying to hide something. I've tried to ask questions about the discrepancy in numbers because it could be just my lack of understanding but all my emails to management on the topic have gone unanswered so I have to assume my theories are true.

Continue reading

"Growth Hurts But Don't Believe the "Pain" Hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's no secret that there's been some pain here recently. Laying people off is never ideal and it's understandable that many felt blindsided and are lashing out. However, that news also came with a $240 million fundraise round, which they're not mentioning. The company hasn't downsized because of problems, instead it's because of strategic choices and, again, sometimes those hurt. Look around - many other start up companies are making the same hard choices recently. For too long the industry has focused on growth only, now we're focused on profitability. Tradeshift has survived for 10+ years not because it's a "fraud" but because it has a singular vision and people see that. That doesn't mean that everything goes smoothly, sometimes focuses change and so does strategy. That's what happened here. And that's a good thing because it means there's an understanding of when to pivot. And that can come with pain. But companies that don't make those tough choices, aren't the ones that will ultimately survive anyway. No one asked me to write this but I felt the need to reflect those that are still here. Those that are no longer here or those that are just frustrated with the recent changes, their feelings are valid but that doesn't reflect the outlook of this company. The people at Tradeshift are great, the culture is fantastic, and it's a great place to build a career.

Cons

Yes - there is change and it's not alway for the best but that should be expected anywhere. And sometimes those changes could be communicated better. But nowhere is perfect and believing it should be is misguided. Instead, it's everyone's job to help manage up when necessary and contribute to the culture and product. Complaining about it online is not constructive and it's not helping anyone, just scaring others off.

Found 208 reviews