Tradeshift Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Tradeshift CEO Christian Lanng
Christian Lanng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great team, really casual and chill people" (in 3 reviews)

• "Its nice to work with people you can get along with" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "They're scaling pretty quick, but people are leaving just as fast" (in 2 reviews)

• "No one is spoon-fed, you have to take ownership and make it happen" (in 2 reviews)

1. "A tech company that's actually kind"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While a true tech company in the Bay-area (actually FinTech), Tradeshift embodies the Danish culture...the people are actually kind and nice! The company provides people the chance to make a true contribution. It has all the trappings of a tech company (free lunch, dogs in the office in the US, ping pong, beer, etc.), but the leadership actually cares about people. The CEO cares about diversity.

Cons

The company is experience growing pains...people are being stretched. Ambiguity in a highly dynamic environment are what you'd expect in a unicorn, and Tradeshift is no different. The difference is...you can make a difference here.

"Finally, a tech company that values employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, bosses who are interested in helping their teams grow and flourish, fantastic benefits, and many many more pros. Tradeshift is an extremely exciting place to work right now, and despite the hyper growth, the culture is still in tact and people seem actually happy to work here (this has rarely been the case at my past workplaces).

Cons

It can be a bit overwhelming working for a company that is scaling at the pace Tradeshift is scaling at.

Advice to Management

Try not to stretch yourselves too thin, as impossible as that sounds. Your employees want to see you!

"Manager"

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time

Pros

global success, high growth, innovative, professional development opportunities

Cons

change is constant, must be able and willing to navigate frequent changes in such a high growth start up environment

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people

"Great place to work if you are clever and adaptable"

Current Employee - Security in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super fast growth means there is unlimited room to grow. Things of course aren't perfect but that should be expected of any company more than doubling annually. The good part is management is keenly aware that they need to always adapt, improve and refine and you will always see many of them working very hard to identify issues and improve.

There is also a continuous push for transparency, far above and beyond what I've ever experienced at a company. This certainly allows for people to see more of the "sausage being made" which can both be good and bad depending on how you respond to seeing problems in a process. If it freaks you out to know that things aren't always going to run perfectly, this probably isn't the place for you. If you like having new problems and challenges to solve and very little bureaucracy getting in the way of solving it regardless of where it exists, Tradeshift will likely be a great fit.

Lastly, the people and culture here make it my favorite job I've ever held. There is very little in the way of political maneuvering, bus-under-throwing, etc and people in general hold themselves accountable because it's the right thing to do to improve so there is very little hiding of failures or bad decisions.

Cons

As above, it's fast growing and that means processes break, some people are thrown into new roles they may not have the training for, etc. If you prefer to have a clear and well defined path forward at all times, you'll likely be happier looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the culture and holding high expectations of everyone. Don't let it slip as we grow larger or allow for people to get complacent or otherwise slack off in their roles.

"Dope"

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time

Pros

Great place to work, friendly atmosphere, steady income

Cons

Lots of people to deal with,

"Engagement Manager"

I have been working at Tradeshift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities and freedom to explore own ideas and see them developed. Every action makes an impact on the company, large and small contributions make a difference.

Cons

This is more of a positive than a negative, but not all procedures or policies have been tread and re-tread into concrete definition, this can be annoying when you want an easy answer.

Advice to Management

Our weekly leadership meetings that all employees are invited to attend is precisely why and how Tradeshift can maintain accountability, transparency, and morale even when the above mentioned procedures and policies can change quickly. Christian has my complete respect as a leader, bold, clever, and more importantly drives support from bottom up. Not many CEOs have the support that Christian has from the technical roles which is our product; I can imagine his EVPs and partners like him as much as we do.

"Dying a slow death"

I worked at Tradeshift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was an amazing opportunity to make something great here. There are no "pros" left.

Oh...and anyone who thinks that Tradeshift will ever go IPO is very deluded.

Cons

It's very hard to know where to start. From my personal experience, this is the worst place that I have ever worked. Are people nice? Sure. Do you have a decent work environment? Yes, absolutely. But Tradeshift is a study in dysfunction. Senior leadership is comprised of people that have no idea of what they are doing, but at the same time have themselves convinced that they know EXACTLY what they are doing. It's almost like you are living in a farce. Here's an example: the company ran out of money late in 2017. When they missed European payroll because of being broke, they claimed it was a "bank transfer" issue. Nobody believed that. And the CEO never acknowledged it (typical...just ignore major problems and move along). But flush with a new infusion of venture (sucker) capital shortly after that....they continued with their spending spree...with the crown jewel of wasted money being on their appearance at Davos (World Economic Forum). No money to pay employees, but there is literally *millions* of dollars to blow on "brand building" at Davos. This is the epitome of stupid people getting a few dollars and thinking they know how to act like smart people. The entire Davos debacle is nothing but a way to continually feed the voracious ego of the CEO. But don't you dare criticize it. It's sacred. Again, this is how stupid people run a company and *think* that they are smart. What's the marketing budget? Astronomical. What's the return on that? Microscopic. Smart investors would drill down on these things. Tradeshift literally preys on naive investors that don't know the right questions to ask.

The company is stagnant. Little to no product development takes place (different excuse every quarter....acquisition, re-org, holidays, etc...). I'm pretty sure the sales numbers are embellished (honestly...I need to see the receipts...because the numbers change all the time - what was booked? what's promised? in what quarter/year? what was the sales budget? I mean...it's all murky and kinda shady). The sales-pitch to investors show slow growth now, but a massive uptick with "marketplace revenue" in the next few years. Like a hockey stick. It's laughable.

Senior Management are made up of "yes" men/women that have been elevated light years beyond their capabilities because they constantly validate the CEO. Look at the LinkedIn profiles of every person in Senior Management. Every person is over their head in a tremendous fashion. And their failures are starting to show. The CEO is a CEO in name only. He is one more board meeting away from melting in desperation. Once Tradeshift shuts the doors, the invites to speaking engagements around the world will dry up. Guess you'll have to get a real job then.

Although I left recently, I talk frequently with people who are still there (planning their escape). Things are poor and not improving. Products still stink. The "pivot" is crippling the company. The next round of funding is in serious jeapordy. People are leaving.

This place is almost a corpse and will start to rot shortly.

Save yourself.

Advice to Management

Either shut down or have the board replace senior management to start fresh. It's a company of 600 people. You need half of that. People hardly work anyway. You'll be out of money in 6 months without RADICAL changes NOW. No smart investor will give you another round.

Tradeshift Response

Mar 23, 2018 – CEO

Wow, I’m sorry you feel this hurt about your time at Tradeshift. This seems like a very personal review for you. I wish you would have shared those feelings while still here and we could probably... More

"Lots of noise but little progress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tradeshift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its nice to work with people you can get along with.
    The office is generally clean "some of the dogs lack training"
    You have most of what you need to perform. "in the most basic sense"
    Lunch is subpar but its free. "team bonding eating from buckets"
    Standard items like drinks, snacks, happy hours, and team events are provided.

Cons

No one knows the product, especially sales and sadly many of the engineering teams that are working on the product.
    The org is controlled by engineering but they have not launched anything successful beyond the core product in years.
    Tradeshift praises loyalty over competence, smile and worship the right people and you will do well.
    The CEO makes comments about people sucking up but there never seems to be a line of people.
    No one works. . . like ever literally, come in on Monday no one is around, come in on Friday the place looks closed.
    SVPs and low/mid Managers in many departments are nowhere to be found while there teams are forced to take on the work of multiple people with no direction.
    Expenses make little sense, Global Team Camps, Sales Vacations, Planning Off sites, but you cant get access to quality staff budgets or training due to budget.
    The staff has turned over significantly in the last year most people are under two years.
    New hires walk around and behave as if the company is public and is no longer a scrappy startup.
    Bad data is circulated internally making it hard if not impossible to know how the org is really doing. EX: Sales, Users, Actual Sales, Actual Users.

Advice to Management

Major house cleaning is needed.
    Stop bringing in bigbox staff that expect massive teams to do their work.
    Your a startup so start acting like it ( be humble and hungry not fat and lazy)
    Stop telling your staff they are going to be rich someday, this is a bad practice for many obvious reasons.
    Hire real managers and true leaders your current batch are killing the company while living in there own bubble.

"Mediocre Middle Management"

I worked at Tradeshift full-time

Pros

-no one shows up to the office
    -international environment
    -kind, caring people
    - pay is competitive for company size
    - executive leadership, seems qualified and intelligent and often refreshingly inspirational
    - product space has a lot of potential

Cons

-middle management is usually "promoted" up and is deeply unqualified and comfy. I have had more conversations with my manager about their materialistic goals than my career advancement or deliverables.
    - a common phrase I've heard from middle management is "I didn't want to become a manager, I just wanted a pay raise." The attitude shows. I did not notice improvement or a care to learn about what that title should and should not be doing.
    - Zero recognition for individual contributors
    - Not much career growth or flexibility to change career direction
    - feedback is infrequent and only formally given once a year

Advice to Management

Create an expectations guide book to what someone should expect from their manager. Hold everyone accountable to it or move them to an individual contributor. Also, don't use management as a promotional tool. Identify or hire managers with the skill set or want to be a good manager. Feedback should be given more often.

"Great company, great benefits"

I worked at Tradeshift full-time

Pros

- Great culture, colleagues and perks
    - Surrounded by driven people who push you to perform better

Cons

- Somewhat strict chain of command that can lead to frustrations

Advice to Management

N/A