Tragon Reviews | Glassdoor

Doug Vort

1. "RedJade / Tragon"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Irving, TX

I worked at Tragon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers care about employees and company.
    Competent.
    Relaxed atmosphere.
    Generous.

Cons

High employee turnover.
    Employee morale uneven.

"It's a trap! This is specifically about the RedJade portion of Tragonand for all you software devs out there."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Tragon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great 401k matching (if they pay you enough to be able to use it, and if you make it long enough), no dress code.

Cons

CEO: The bad reviews on here about the CEO; yes, they are precisely on point. He lies openly to people, and will laugh about it with others later. To the reviewer talking about how much charity work he does: AWESOME! Glad he needed a tax break and was able to help some people while helping himself. Too bad treating your direct employees like slaves and telling them things such as 'I own you.' kind of dissolves all of that in an instant. The 100% 401k matching is awesome. Too bad no developer there has made it the 6 years it takes to be fully vested, or really even 4 for that matter. He will renege on job offers he has made to people. In interviews he will pressure people with 'used car salesman' like business tactics to try to tie them into a job for less than their market value. ie 'This job is for you! One time offer, you had better take it now, if you don't its gone forever.' etc. If I were to describe this man, one word comes to mind: skeezeball. When confronted with factual math that happens to disprove anything he has said, the result is usually ad hominem attacks.

Management: No regard for their employees. Very fake wrt personality. I had many personal conversations daily with multiple team members for over a year...still never remembered a single thing about me. Thats fairly trite, but speaks to the level of self centeredness that seems to permeate the entirety of what could be called 'management' there, especially in an office of only 7 people. They are overpaid for their abilities, and are aware of it. They make up for this by making sure to really get their nose in nice and deep when talking to the CEO. When reviews say they are 'generous' here, thats what they mean. The management is well paid, but don't think thats going to happen to you. They will openly lie at the behest of the CEO, and why not, they are paid to do so. The management is also a total hypocrisy. Will have issues if you have to watch your kids and only spend 6 hours in office one day (even though we work from home...lots...like lots, settle in for it), but will then take a 'pow day' randomly to go dude-bro around on the slopes...but its ok...they'll 'make it up on the weekend'... This brings me to another point: not family friendly, I would say that if you have a family, just move on past this company. No offer they could give you is worth it.

The developers work environment is garbage. People don't discuss issues to come up with the best solution for the product. They argue until its a full on quarrel in an attempt to prove they are more intelligent than whoever the are speaking to, it has NOTHING to do with the end product, and everything to do with ego. Not part of the argument or don't care to be? Doesn't matter! Everyone is in one big room and is subject to every argument, no matter how petty, LOUD, or completely distracting it is. Ask them to take it into a private office, or talk to people like a human being? -> get sent home.

Growth opportunities: None. This product is finished, and has all the higher level people it needs. If they want you to work there, its only to fix their implementation bugs, I can assure you, it is not for your input. They are quite certain their answers are the only ones in the universe.

Advice to Management

Stop being yourself. Yourself is petty and immoral.

3. "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE for Tragon"

Former Employee - Contract Support in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Contract Support in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great people, including the CEO Doug Vort, despite some of the more odd comments in previous postings here.

Cons

I have no cons to mention. Until I win the lottery, I want to work at Tragon full time. PLEASE HIRE ME!

Advice to Management

Far be it for me to offer any advice to a company that seems to be doing everything right.

5. "Bad Employees Write Bad Reviews!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Tragon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Tragon for 5+ years and it was the most fulfilling job I have ever had. The people (including the CEO, Doug Vort) are amazing! The work environment and office space is an employee's dream. The benefits, including 100% 401(k) match, are the best I've experienced. Smart, type-A driven people that care about their work, their clients and their employer. If you're a smart, driven, and hard-working person, then Tragon is for you. If you're anything like the people that have made the negative posts here, then Tragon is not for you. (Worth noting: All of the negative posts on Glassdoor were made by contract employees that worked in either our recruiting department or test kitchen, and would have had zero contact with the CEO!)

Cons

Long hours! Lot's of work. Hard to balance life with Tragon.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

"These people are liars and the CEO is a bully who should be incarcerated somewhere as he is also a raving lunatic..."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Tragon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company what so ever. I would never ever recommend that anyone work for this company or participate in their sensory evaluations.

Cons

They routinely lie to those folks that respond to their evaluations. People are scheduled to participate and then called right before coming or as they are on their way in and told the 'food ran out' when in truth they just already achieved their desired results. They relentlessly call people who sign up as participants to the point of harassment. Hours worked for many is poor, compensation is even worse. The CEO is a trust fund baby who has no skills what so ever other then intimidation.

Advice to Management

There is no training here. The work-life balance is not a consideration for most. The owner/CEO has no value system and it trickles down through out his subordinates.

7. "Another opinion on Tragon and its RedJade sensory software"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Tragon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am a former employee of Tragon, but currently work for a large CPG firm. Tragon is a high-energy, high-octane place to work; an ideal place for an overachiever who thrives in this type of environment. Long hours (10+) are normal and expected. But for this there are some great perks. For one, Tragon matched our 401k dollar for dollar. I was able to save over $300,000 in five short years!
    At my current employer, we are Beta testers for Tragon's sensory application, RedJade. RedJade has come a long way since my employment at Tragon. It is powerful, easy to use, and most importantly, reliable. It is miles ahead of anything available. The software meets all of our sensory needs from a quick discrimination test to a descriptive test with complex statistical analysis. Best yet, I can set up a study and have it ready to execute in a few short minutes. The entire application runs within a web browser making it very flexible, unlike our current sensory software provider. Even as a Beta user, we haven't experienced any significant problems with the application. I'm falling in love with RedJade more and more everyday.

Cons

Long work hours and heavy workload are the norm at Tragon, and they are slow to hire additional resources. But again, if you can do it, they offer some great perks in exchange. Tragon has clients all over the world and certain staff members are expected to travel regularly to meet with them.

RedJade has taken longer to release than promised (but it was worth the wait!) As Beta users we don't have full usage of the application until January 2015.

Advice to Management

Please release the full version of RedJade...we love it!

"This is a small primarily a food/product marketing consulting company."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tragon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dallas office is separated from the day to day customer facing operations.

Cons

In face of their competition "Compusense Inc", Tragon's SAS platform is simply rebranded backend and not targetted to their customer base as their competitors. There isn't a concept to timeline or schedule in development of key backend systems, everything should be as "simple" as throwing up a nice looking webpage.

Advice to Management

- The brightest minds in San Fransisco, who actually are working in the Dallas / Irving Office on your main product with a turn over rate exceeding grocery sackers are not going to be working for you long enough to create a quality product that can beat the competition.

"The Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Tragon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tragon is by far the best place I have ever worked. For one, the entire staff is like family. When I first started, I felt like I married into a large family of 50+ siblings, but it didn't take long for me to be accepted. We all work very hard but play hard together too. This culture is a direct reflection of our CEO. He works (and travels) harder than anyone I know and is a competitive triathlete/Ironman. He inspires the whole team to do better. Tragon has grown so much under his leadership. I have great respect for the company, its employees and the whole leadership team.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons to say. Based on the two negative reviews from temporary employees, perhaps we as a full-time staff can do a better job of working with the temps.

Advice to Management

Tragon's management leads by example. And I love it.

"Engaging and Enjoyable Workplace"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Tragon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Enjoyable work environment & staff
    *Great benefits including medical, dental, paid time off, paid holidays, and 401k matching
    *Upper Management encourages growth and development
    *Challenging work that keeps employees engaged

Cons

*Can't really think of any

"Response to comments about CEO"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Tragon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This posting is in response to the few complaints and personal attacks that have been written here about Tragon in general and Tragon’s CEO in particular. I am the Operations Manager for Tragon Corp. overseeing three offices and a staff of over 50 full-time employees.

For starters, as the operations manager, I can tell you that our CEO is NOT a micro-manager as claimed. In fact, I don’t think he can be more hands-off without being totally disengaged. He is involved to the extent that he sets the direction of the company, delegates to the executive team and follows-up accordingly. He visits clients around the world and supports our account team whenever they request him too. His interaction with the rest of the staff outside the executive and account teams is much more of ‘social’ in nature, cheerleader and simply keeping a pulse on people and things.

As for the comments about our CEO’s character, it is apparent that they come from a small group of disgruntled people who would have limited knowledge of how the company operates. These negative comments are clearly written by temp employees or low-level staff that would have little to no contact with him. They certainly don’t know that he matches 100% of all 401(k) contributions every year; or his tireless work with local charities and underprivileged kids; or the cars he’s purchased for staff; or the funeral expenses he paid for a deceased employee when the family couldn’t afford to. I could go on with more, but I think this paints a more accurate picture of the type of person that our CEO really is.

Cons

None that I can think of