Trail Blazers Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Trail Blazers Marketing Reviews

3.2
Mike Malkovich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Really fun environment, a lot of younger co workers, never a dull moment" (in 5 reviews)

• "Pool table and flat screen in the break room" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you're one of the few who is successful at selling (it's door-to-door) you get the privilege of extra responsibilities" (in 11 reviews)

• "You are paid by how well you can sell internet to people who've already heard about it" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Why you need to work here"

Current Employee - Lead in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Lead in Beaverton, OR

Pros

I worked in the company for about 7 months before deciding that Marketing wasn't the career I want even though I excelled at it. The process is pretty simple, just like in any interviews. First interview would probably be in the office and if you make it to the second round, it'll be at Starbucks. Then you meet everybody and people are going to be there for you even if you don't ask for it. You learn the fundamentals and have lessons related to the field. Then before you know it, you'll out in the field with your clipboard doing door to door. You are tasked to sell phone, internet, OR t.v. I admit, some people will close the door on you and there are some that will greet you as if you're family.

To keep this review short: You need to work here because:

1. It will make you GROW! You learn how to deal with reality. You will learn how to have thick skin and MENTALLY PREPARE YOU FOR THE BIG WORLD! The world that you're probably about enter but no idea what is going on.

2. This is temporary. Nothing last forever right? Along the way, you'll learn how to communicate with people. How you want your voice to be heard. That this job is actually not bad.

3. You'll learn that in life you GET TO CHOOSE WHICH RELATIONSHIPS YOU'D WANT TO KEEP. This job will teach you that you need to stay away from toxic people because they'd only bring you down. Which leads to my other point.

4. You'll learn the power of positive attitude. You'd be surprise where that would take you.

5. You'll meet people from all walks of life. Sometimes you'd envy their lifestyle, sometimes you'll be motivated to become a better version of yourself each day, and sometimes you'd be at your all time low. You're not alone. Others feel the same way.

6. You'll learn the value of customer service and see it's potential.

7. You reap what you sow. If you're a person with ambition, then you know the hard truth to this. You work hard and sometimes feel like you don't get the reward you deserve. This job will teach you why you are not getting the results you want.

Working here enabled me to let go of my training wheels (metaphorically speaking). When I quit, I did so because I felt ready to handle what will come my way. I learned how to speak up more and let my voice be heard. I learned to have thick skin and believe or not, it will be your best asset in life. You will learn so much not because someone taught you, it's because you taught yourself along the way.

Cons

Commission based and you do not get paid while training. So train hard and once you have the field to yourself, go HAM!

Advice to Management

Give more incentives and at least a weekly bonus for your employees. You'd be surprise what that would do (perhaps pay for team night).

2. "Wouldn't recommend"

Pros

Coworkers are fun to be around as long as your doing well. Pay is good as long as you're selling

Cons

Commission only, team nights aren't optional when they should be feels like youve joined a cult and not a job

3. "It's a cult, run away!"

I worked at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time

Pros

There's a pool table... even if they don't want you to use it.

Cons

Research Cydcor (the parent company) for more information about them and how they operate. If you're one of the few who is successful at selling (it's door-to-door) you get the privilege of extra responsibilities. Have fun spending hours at home working on tedious tasks because you're 'building' your career and team.

4. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Leader
    Former Employee - Leader

I worked at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time

Pros

build communication skills ,practice english good for people are english second language or 7 th language ,

Cons

Everything is experience so there is not downside :)

Advice to Management

give to every one Two "t-shirt 'Jacket" not just one

5. "RUN AWAY !! IT'S DOOR TO DOOR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you can say that you got to walk around and get exercise while making just about $2.00 an hour..hmm that's actually incorrect...lower. Nobody wants CenturyLink they have contracts 1-4 years with Comcast/Frontier

Cons

I have been a successful sales rep and manager in the field over 20 years. The market is saturated mostly by Comcast/Frontier both much better products than CenturyLink. No room to make any money at all ! DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME !!!!! ********** If you read a positive post on this sight its 100% because the owner or managers wrote them.************************

Advice to Management

Buy lots of ice, you are going to need it where you are going.

"A lot of hard work, very small payout"

Current Employee - Professional Development Trainer in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Professional Development Trainer in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been able to make some great friends here. It's a good resume builder. Notice how there isn't much in the Pros section.

Cons

Hard to make a living off the compensation structure. Paid training? It's only two days of training before they make you go door to door selling a product everyone knows in Portland is a garbage product. Centurylink is the product you will be trying to convince people into buying, although most are well aware of the fact that Centurylink is going through a class action lawsuit for billing monthly charges 3x greater than what was agreed upon. I know, I don't know how they get away with it. Nonetheless, I don't know how the people in the office go home with a clear conscious knowing that they are selling a horrible product from a fraudulent company. I'm the interview they tell you that the hours are 12:15pm-8:30pm. But in reality it's 11:00am-9:15pm after all the paperwork and tasks has been completed for the night (and no, you won't be compensated for staying later. Also team nights and crew nights are on Tuesday and Wednesday nights that go on 2 hours past our work schedule and it is required to go. So essentially you could be working for +12hours on a team/crew night. And +10hours on a normal day. And we work saturdays too, 10:00am-4:30pm. Yes, more work on top of of more work with no extra pay. If you have no friends or family and earning money isn't on you're priority list this is a great job!

Advice to Management

Compensate us for the hours we spend in the office on top of our 100% commission. Cmon, you expect us to in early and stay late without any pay? And you preach "show up early and be a role model for the new guys". Yes, but I'm not getting paid to come in early and stay late. Think about your employees and stop being greedy.

7. "Really enjoying my time here"

Current Employee - Entry Level Account Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Entry Level Account Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere, I was looking for a positive team to work with and I think I finally found it!

The growth is incredible. I was a novice coming into sales and this is teaching me a ton. Personally and professionally.

I'm optimistic about my future here. Really really excited for the day to start!

Cons

Early on I was nervous. Everyone is super nice though so I got over my fear of starting a new job quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Great fun.

8. "Sales Team Leader"

I worked at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time

Pros

Good opportunity to grow and learn to become a manager

Cons

Not a lot of room for work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work.

"A must read before interviewing."

Former Employee - Professional Development Trainer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Professional Development Trainer in Beaverton, OR

Pros

There was a 2 to 3 month period in 2016 were there was a decent chance of being able to make enough money to support a lifestyle slightly above poverty. Those times have come and gone. I was going door to door through the same recycled neighborhoods attempting to sell the same people on Internet, TV and phone thru CenturyLink all on a 100% commission based platform. The potential customers could care less about what I or anyone else had to say and most of them would just slam the door in my face and tell me to get lose. Keep in mind you have no base salary, so no sales means no money that day. I was lead to believe in my training as long as I followed the systems I would make 1 to 3 sales each day. That was complete lie. In fact I have mathematical evidence showing that wandering the same neighborhoods looking for loose change would net the same if not more in pay. Seriously, that is not a joke.

The people I worked with cared about my professional and personal growth. Well by "care" I mean that they didn't have a choice. The only way to "build your business" is to manipulate as many people as possible to buy into this multi-level marketing scheme. The entire time I worked there I was trying to build a team and I had to watch painfully as they all maxed out their credit cards, borrowed money, even had their cars reposed (there's a reason half the office doesn't drive to work) and sadly even get evicted from their homes. There wasn't a person in the entire office that wasn't living in or rapidly approaching complete financial ruin.

Work/Life Balance. There were meetings ran on a weekly basis were someone in a management role would literally try to force me into believing that working a minimum of 6 days a week for 10 to 12 hours a day for what could potentially be a $0 paycheck was a normal business practice and that I should be grateful for the opportunity. I was also required to attend at least two "out of the office" functions weekly where the purpose was to welcome our new team members and show them how much fun we have as an office. Unfortunately it ended up being just a group of people that were forced to sit around uncomfortably for a hours at some restaurant were no one had enough money to even order food.

I attended daily meetings were I was told I was going to be taught to understand business and learn how to build a strong team. In these meetings however I was told to actively deceive new hires and people coming in for interviews into believing that they would get paid a base salary, that they would have benefits and that they would work for a legitimate marketing firm. None of these were true.

Please keep in mind that I'm writing all of this in the Pros portion of this review.

Cons

This is by far the most dysfunctional business model I have ever seen. This place is set up to prey on your emotions and they are really good at it too. In fact they are literally training their crews to make you believe that going door to door selling people services they don't want by using high pressure sales tactics and ignoring any and all morals/ethics you have is not only normal but is how you can build a multimillion dollar business.

All in all I would say that if you are ok with lying, cheating and stealing your way to making around $3 an hour sounds like your cup of tea then you've found the right place. For the rest of us who enjoy honest work for honest pay I would strongly suggest that you keep scrolling. You'll thank me later when you can pay your rent.

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of people.

"Real, Authentic and Genuine Review"

I worked at Trail Blazers Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-There are some weeks you make more than $0.
    -WHILE you work there everyone will be on your side and rooting for you to get promoted...but if you quit...you are dead to them (true friendship)
    -There is a pool table. Do you get to use it? Only if you come in 3 hours before work starts or if you stay 2 hours after work. Oh and did I mention that counts on Saturday too (since you work 6 days a week here)
    -Lots of travel opportunity...if you want to pay for it yourself (comes out of your paychecks if you want to go anywhere) not to mention you get to miss work for the business trips, which means you aren't hitting the field... interns means you don't get a paycheck for the days you do not work
    -Close to Taco Bell, which is the only place you'll be able to "eat out"

Cons

- 100% blood, sweat, and tears COMMISSION SALES...but you'll only see a percentage of that because the rest goes to your boss (who probably hasn't hit the field in days-years, depending upon the owner.. we know who you are) and the other part goes to the cable company/client
    -Not only do you go door to door trying to sell tv, internet, and phone to people regardless of the weather (the city can seriously be completely shut down due to snow, or maybe it is a MAJOR NATIONAL HOLIDAY, I can promise your butt is still going to be hitting the field because they will tell you "it's a great day to catch everyone who is going to be home " OR "last year I made $800 on black Friday because everyone was home!" don't buy into it, save your gas and stay at home
    -Make sure you become friends with the people that tell you "no I am not interested thank you" OR the people who yell at you "stop soliciting" because YOU WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT run into and HAVE to knock on their doors again... and usually its not just once more its several times. This is usually because they ran out of leads, you are hitting the same ones over and over
    - I hope you don't have a family, friends, parents, grandparents, significant other, children, you know basically anyone you know because you will not be seeing them anymore if you accept this job. You will become friends with only coworkers. You will be seeing them Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday during normal working hours, BUT you will also get the fine pleasure of hanging out with them on Wednesday and Thursday evening for office night and crew night. If you don't go it will have a direct impact on if you get an interview or not, so basically you're entire future is determined upon if you go to Y Not Have Fun or Big AL's or really any pizza place...... OR NOT.... just take a moment and think about that
    - have you ever looked at the reviews with one star and then some how the next day there are is an overly excited and great review on the company? Yeah I can tell you that those are pretty much all fake and written by current employees trying to flood the internet with good review. Please for the love of GOD do not buy into any of it.

Advice to Management

Just throw in the towel now... End yours and everyone else's misery