Trailfinders Reviews

Toby Kelly
  1. "1 year 11 months"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

As others have mentioned there are great travel perks, the highest pay within the industry for front line sales staff coupled with rapid pay rises for top performers. That and the free lunches! There are those who will complain about the hours but this is a sales based job and Trailfinders are completely upfront as to what is expected of their staff. If you want 9-5 Monday to Friday you will struggle to be happy here. Personally, having come from the world of events found the hours to be shorter and kinder! I have been very impressive by how accommodating the company has been towards medical appointments, particularly its willingness to sort time off at short notice, something I have been very grateful for. Management has taken an active and positive interest in me and has continued to coach me to be a better sales person. This has led to better payouts and overall a nearly 30% increase in my sales figures. In other words, in my case at least, I feel that they have definitely helped me to earn more money.

Cons

Trailfinders definitely has an employee retention issue. Among a number of long term employees there is a feeling of not being valued which inevitably leads to an exodus of talent. This is also coupled with a lack career progression if you are not inclined to move/commute to London. The companies policy of hiring internal is a great strength and weakness to the firm. It needs to outsource areas such as marketing/advertising to a third party. A large pay cut was enacted for new hires at a number of branches. I can only think this was done to fund the expansionist policy for new stores. It does however stifle movement of people within the firm. Given Trailfinders is also enjoying a very healthy level of profitability it seems harsh to cut wages in areas where living costs are only ever rising. Attitude to maternity cover needs drastic improvement, a very common complaint by Trailfinders female sales staff is the companies inflexibility when it comes to returning to work after maternity leave. This must be improved

February 26, 2020

Thanks for your post and constructive feedback.

"You get what you put in, but don't expect a career"

I worked at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

Good work environment with colleagues Free lunch Travelling opportunities

Cons

Hours/Work Days Lunch is the minimum time allowed hence the free lunch No major opportunity to advance

3. COVID-19

"Going downhill"

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

I usually really enjoy my job and in the past thought trailfinders was a great company to work for. The pay is above average for the travel industry and there are great perks e.g staff deals, free lunches, opportunities for educational trips. If you’d asked me a few months ago I would of rated TF 5*.

Cons

Unfortunately things have really gone downhill in the last few months. Understandably it has been really difficult in the travel industry and TF has been great in the way it’s handled things for clients but not so much for the staff. The one positive is that they’ve haven’t made furlough mandatory however it seems a very unfair system on who is given it on a voluntary basis. Some people have been furloughed for 3-4 months whilst others have asked to be and been refused. It would’ve been much fairer to split it so everyone could be given a break considering the stressful work we’ve had to do. It’s not an exaggeration to say the last few months have been horrendous and I have regularly been reduced to tears dealing with abusive calls on a daily basis from customers. On a few occasions I’ve been told by managers to just deal with it so there has been a real lack of support in dealing with difficult situations. (This is definitely not the case with everyone but also not a one off occasion and when you have a client shouting and swearing at you on the phone it’s not ideal). I have worked on my days off a couple of time’s and lots of overtime to deal with this crisis but it really feels as though there’s no appreciation from higher management or acknowledgement of this. It definitely feels as if those lucky enough to be given furlough have got a much better end of the deal. For us that have worked since March we have been forced to take annual leave At times we didn’t want to but those on furlough can now carry over 15 days - which means next year we’ll have to pick up their work again. It would not be an exaggeration to say that booking annual leave (for dates you choose) is near impossible. It can take up to 2 weeks to even get a response and 95% of the time it is declined. Why a travel company imposes so many restrictions on annual leave is crazy. Balancing out national numbers is silly as it means 1 office could be down to 2 people working whilst another could be full. This seems a reoccurring complaint from staff so really is something that needs to be addressed imminently and not in 6-12 months time. I really hope things begin to improve and get back to how they were pre coronavirus.

June 26, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and I’m pleased to see your 5* rating in the Pros above. The past few months have been a massive challenge and everyone from the CEO down has been flat out doing all possible for clients AND staff. The option to use furlough and annual leave to get us through this period has been a great benefit considering the alternative however we are very conscious of and grateful for the pressure it has put consultants under in such difficult times. We are all looking forward to things getting back to normal and will continue to support staff as they readjust to pre coronavirus working practices. I will make the point that no one should be working days off so please speak to your General Manager or Personnel if this has happened to have it readdressed.

4. "excellent company"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

free lunches, travel opportunities and training

Cons

very happy there but long hours

Thanks for the feedback.

5. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked for Trailfinders for almost 14 years. Main highlight for me has to be the amazing travel opportunities. I feel so lucky to have stayed in so many amazing hotels and being able to tick things off my bucket list. I work with some amazing people who have become life long friends. Salary is higher than the industry average and more importantly you are looked after. This has been highlighted in the current crisis. The company has been so helpful and flexible . No compulsory furlough, able to work from home and even keeping travel centres open with closed doors . Whilst I have seen friends who work for other companies being made redundant or having to accept pay cuts we were actually given a pay rise

Cons

Hours can be long however management have been addressing this where possible. Part time opportunities are limited

June 26, 2020

Thanks for your feedback!

"Good and bad"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay for the industry, good perks as far as discounts on travel, although these are mot as good as they were. Lunches paid for

Cons

As a largely phone based job, you are tied to the hours the phone lines are open: when you busy this is good, but in quiet periods the days can feel neverending. Shift patterns mean you do not get regular days off, and rarely get 2 days together. There are very few opportunities for progression unless you live in or are willing to move to London. Fairly long hours as standard (45 per week)

June 26, 2020

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

7. COVID-19

"Wouldn't work for anyone else in travel"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job itself is motivating. I enjoy putting holidays together for clients and working towards sales targets. There's also an expected structure to calls which I thought would be stressful to achieve, but I enjoy working to improve my calls with the help of my sales coach. There's a real sense of progression. A range of departments exist in the company that you can aim for. A fair few of these are based in London, but there are others too, and these can be quite motivating to work towards. The office environment is great with a good variety of people who all have a passion for travel. The 5 weeks training program is excellent and teaches you the fundamentals. There's still a huge amount to learn when you start at the travel centre, but there is always assistance close at hand, especially in the first 3 months. Beyond that, most colleagues are supportive and helpful, though there is a dedicated help line if there is noone nearby to assist. Finally, there are a lot of great benefits, mostly pertaining to travel. A free lunch is also provided. Overall I feel as though the structure of my job helps me perform at my best.

Cons

The hours are fairly long and lunch break limited. Most weekdays this is okay, as we can easily take a couple of minutes away from the desk to make a drink, but on weekends it can be tough to sit with many clients without much a breather in between. Sometimes it can be stressful towards to end of the month to have not yet hit target, and it can affect mood a little. That said, the base pay is excellent so there's never true financial worry about not hitting. Finally, rostering and requesting time off can be inflexible and difficult sometimes. There are a lot of rules and hoops to jump through. I respect that company-wide numbers need to be met but perhaps meeting employees somewhere more in the middle would be nice.

May 11, 2020

Thanks for posting your feedback and for the constructive thoughts.

8. COVID-19

"Best company in Travel"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First of all I’d like to thank the management team through the corona virus pandemic. How they’ve dealt with a large company is brilliant and they were super efficient. Regular training to make sure we are the best and most up to date with Travel knowledge and Systems. Not just a “Travel Agent”.... far more! Lots of progression opportunities within the company. Good basic pay and great payouts if you are willing to put in the hard work. Like minded colleagues all with a passion for travel. Great holiday allowance (after your 3rd year 6 weeks) and even better travel perks. CEO is clearly passionate and shows this by still working everyday.

Cons

None if you are happy to work hard the rewards back from Trailfinders are great.

May 11, 2020

Many thanks for taking the time to post, particularly during such a busy time for us!

9. COVID-19

"A lack of understanding of their staff"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Unsure as my confidence has been Severely knocked during recent correspondence between the company and its staff

Cons

At the moment trailfinders have chosen to reward staff who have gone against government advice to work from home from the beginning of this pandemic. The company has furloughed staff and yet has recently rewarded staff who currently work in the offices with financial reward ignoring the contribution of hardworking staff who are working remotely at cost to themselves as they have no financial contribution towards extra costs incurred such as electricity bills etc

May 22, 2020

Thanks for your post but I would like to reassure you we are very aware of and proud of the contribution all our staff are making at this time. We took the decision to cover expenses incurred for those who have commute costs at a time when most of us don’t however much time and effort has been put into doing the best by all staff; we have not made any redundancies or imposed furloughs and have generally been able to accommodate preferences regarding how staff wish to work and deal with the current situation. Thanks to your and everyone’s hard work we are setting the standard in the industry for client care and will continue to do the right thing by our staff and our clients. If you wish to discuss your own personal situation and work plans moving forward you are most welcome to get in touch with the Personnel team.

10. "Best company in travel"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many reasons why I have headlined my review describing this company as the best in travel but I will mention just a few which I feel have the strongest pull. The training process is super efficient, thorough and educational. For someone who had never worked in the travel industry before it can be quiet daunting especially with the sheer reach of global destinations Trailfinders can send you to! As well as this there are numerous computer systems used to help in the production of some truelly incredible tailor made holidays. Over the course of 6 weeks in Kensington (Monday -Friday, 9am -5pm) you will be brought up to speed and given the necessary education and tools to have a thorough understanding of the product and systems so you are ready to make your way into the travel centres across the country, where once there your skills will only develop and grow. I believe with a good level of intelligence anyone can make it through the training programme, however, in order to truely flourish you must hire the correct people in the first place who have the ambition and drive to succeed in a sales driven environment with a passion for travel. Within the recruitment process you can see the care they put into finding the correct people for the job. A good level of education is required; such as having a degree, as well as having first hand experience travelling to some of Trailfinders top destinations is essential. Numeracy tests and phone interviews followed by a formal interview show just how far they go to ensure the right people for the job are hired, which is reflected in the workforce, as I now have many colleagues around my who strive to perform well and are also incredibly resourceful. Touching into some of my more personal experiences. Work have been incredible during some personal issues I have faced. Offering time off for compassionate reasons as well as being helpful throughout the paternity process I am currently going through and explaining all of my options and being proactive about it. I hope this proves as a company they do care about there staff from the beginning of recruitment, through training and also throughout any personal matter that may come your way through your employment .

Cons

These aren’t necessarily cons but things I believe should be worth considering. You are expected to work weekends (about half all weekends) and your rota is not set so can change every week. The job is challenging. You are dealing with a high volume of calls and work load at the same time. There is a high expectation that no client should have to wait for a phone call and you are expected to complete and admin work within the time frame given depending on how busy the phones are. Your performance will be reviewed regularly, this is for the sole benefit of you. You will be able where to see you can improve and what you are doing well.

April 8, 2020

Many thanks for the feedback and insight into your time at TF!

Found 225 reviews