TranSystems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Rick Morsches

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Forward thinking, great talent employed here, excellent benefits, remarkable work-life balance, cohesive team setting, dedicated employees" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great people in individual offices" (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "April 2018 Supervisor Class"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a lean group of talented professionals, and working remotely is easy to accomplish, as well as working with other folks from other offices, etc. I would also think that the culture has adapted to the improvements in training and technology.

Cons

Each office has found a niche based on the most recent projects it has been working on and it appears that some of the possible business opportunities are being missed since that office does not have those specialists who pursue this work.

Advice to Management

Keep letting the troops know that you are listening and taking these strides to improve the work environment and the business itself.

2. "Project Manager"

I have been working at TranSystems full-time

Pros

Diversity / volume of project work
    Big / important projects
    Value people as assets

Cons

Typical issues when working as consultant
    Mild bureaucracy appropriate with firm size

Advice to Management

Continued focus on enhancing role of EI growing future leaders

"Minimum to Zero Appreciation for Good, Hardworking Employees."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall good atmosphere in the studio between production people and managers.

Cons

No bonuses, little to zero appreciation for hard work, triple standards for treatments and salary raises (depends on how much your supervisor likes you, has nothing to do how you perform).

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who surround you, you don't want to be left with people who have nothing to say.

Apr 12, 2018 – VP HR

This has been an area of opportunity for us. We actually had a record year of recognition through out Excellence in Action Program after we updated it and most recently added a new High Five award... More

"Disappointed and disgusted"

I worked at TranSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really talented people.
    People from the small local office were great to work with. Experience on a local level was mostly pleasant.

Cons

Terrible, TERRIBLE leadership; especially on a corporate level.
    Promote inexperienced people to leadership roles who then implement poorly designed methods/processes.
    Horrible communication from leadership/corporate (often lying about pending layoffs, office closures)
    Cheap.
    CEO plays favorites - blinded by his own antiquated, narrow-minded experience. Most management is threatened by outside perspectives.
    Do not care about staff as individuals.
    Little to no direction for career development.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees.
    Stop caring more about stakeholder payouts and more about the honest, hardworking people trying to support themselves on the meager salaries you provide (compensation is NOT competitive)
    Quit playing favorites and promoting well-intentioned but inexperienced people. Instead hire leaders with strong records of success, employee retention and a plan for driving success within departments.
    LEARN TO COMMUNICATE.

*also, I agree somewhat with several other reviewers on here claiming there 5 star fake reviews. I believe the reviews are "real" but that they are leadership trying desperately to drive up overall ratings. With the layoffs over the last year entry and mid level staff (former and current) are deeply unhappy and mistrusting.

Apr 12, 2018 – VP HR

I am sorry your experience was not a positive one. Communication across any company is an ongoing challenge which we have been pursing head on to minimize misunderstandings such as this.
    The... More

5. "Structural Engineer"

I have been working at TranSystems full-time

Pros

Good place to work. Exposed to a lot. Worked mainly on bridge inspection and some load ratings. Get to work with other offices when light on work.

Cons

Unfortunately, I was stuck with a micro-manager. Also, was given a hard time about time off for not giving sufficient notice when I gave 2 weeks (this probably depends on your manager in your local office).

Apr 12, 2018 – VP HR

Very sorry for your experience. We have very highly rated team leaders in our firm as scored by their employees. That being said, I understand the reality is that not firm is perfect and we do... More

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great projects to work on.

Cons

Could have limited work experience if in a small office location.

"Not A Fake Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in Crown Center area with free parking, flex time, ability to work from home, decent benefits, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

While there are some truths to negative reviews (we have been through a couple rounds of layoffs recently and I don't think they were very well executed), TranSystems is not a 'zoo' and potential new hires shouldn't be scared away by horrible reviews made by disgruntled employees. I think a positive mindset goes a long way in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your decisions and be honest with employees about the state of the company. Communication is key.

8. "Progressive Company that truly cares about their employees"

I have been working at TranSystems full-time

Pros

Forward thinking, great talent employed here, excellent benefits, remarkable work-life balance, cohesive team setting, dedicated employees.

Cons

Communicate company wide rather than relying on RVP's to send a message.

Apr 12, 2018 – VP HR

Thanks for the kind review. Company culture is a top strategic initiative for us. It isn't easy to ensure consistent, clear communication across the board but we are tapping our people at all... More

"TranSystems"

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer, Civil
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineer, Civil

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with excellent, hard working engineers

Cons

Management has lost its way

Advice to Management

Decisions for the company are made by two people. This should change or else they will keep losing good people.

"TranSystems is the bottom of the barrel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free donut Fridays. Table Tennis in the break room. Free Keurig coffee. Some nice people, not all bad. Fun and games all day, every day if you are in the HQ office.

Cons

TranSystems is teetering on the brink of complete economic failure, and has been drawing ever nearer to this end for a very long time. They currently  have somewhere between 700-750 employees, but they have terminated well over 300 employees over the last three years. They keep hiring to backfill emptied positions, while terminating still more. What's more is they are constantly opening and closing office locations around the continental US in similar fashion. Each time they close an office there is a spate of employee dismissals.

This practise of continually dismissing staff to keep their overall performance numbers aloft has plunged the entire organization into chaos, as institutional knowledge is repeatedly lost, and work responsibilities are reassigned to those who remain. Work processes are created, lost, and recreated over and over by each successive group of workers. As you can imagine, this results in a continuing erosion of operational effectiveness, overall. The aftermath of these dismissals force employees to spend much wasted time in confusion and attempting to recover lost or misplaced information. This obviously leads to a great deal of frustration for new employees hired to replace the former employees.

The culture in the HQ office overall is one of emotional immaturity and dysfunction, coupled with very low morale. The HR staff try to over-compensate for this environment with even more childish behavior, and cliquey high school antics, where they frequently say things in a loud voice that would normally be considered inappropriate in a normal, healthy business environment. They seem to want to offend anyone nearby that they can, if possible. This causes a sort of inversion of what is deemed valuable or appropriate behavior. That is, the more obnoxious the talk (and the volume at which it's delivered), the better.

Working here for me is more like working in a three ring circus, or on a busy street corner rather than in an office. And this is not just for part of the day; it's typically all day, everyday. However, the noise around me is not from others engaging in work related discussions, this is all completey unrelated to work. It's typically a lot of laughing, screaming (yes, screaming) and playing around, and thus creates an environment of continual distraction for anyone who might want or need to focus his or her efforts on accomplishing work. So, you might imagine what a problem this is when I am on the phone with someone, as I frequently am. Persons on the other end of the phone are likely to overhear anything.

Coworkers located near me spend up to 2-3 hours per day taking extended walk breaks, and doing other things like chatting, and playing ping-pong in the break room. This behavior all seems to go completely unnoticed by management. As such, unless you are a motivated person with a strong personal work ethic, there is no incentive to perform well, and your efforts will likewise go unnoticed.

Overall, I would say there is no basic respect for the individual employee at TranSystems. The company does what it must to cover itself legally, and that is all. Many of the HQ staff are incredibly immature in their behavior and less than professional in their dress and demeanor, but no one seems to care, as HR sets a very poor example for everyone. They are, in fact, the worst offenders. And so you can forget about approaching them if you have any kind of real issue, such a harassment claim. They do not care about helping you, they only care about covering their rear-ends legally, and getting you quiet.

TranSystems' President will tell you how important his employees are to himself and the rest of the company, but easily observable facts state the opposite is true. Over the last year they have dismissed nearly the entire IT department, including the CTO. The person they replaced him with seemed to be a stand-up kind of guy when he first arrived, but has made promises to his staff only to turn back on those promises later. When I say promises, I mean promises of titles, pay, and positions. I am talking about the old bait and switch, here.

It seems to me TranSystems refuses to learn from its mistakes and change its course. They refuse to acknowledge that their business model of specializing in transportation engineering (a market that's been depressed in the US for decades now) is essentially flawed. They should be diversifying, rather than turning away potential projects. There are other CE firms headquartered in Kansas City that are flourishing.

So, what's the deal with TranSystems? According to themselves, they are bent on being seen as the leaders in the transportation design market, but oops . . . TranSystems is actually like number 18 on that list. Why are they so low on the list? Because they have earned it with poor project performance across the board. This is due to the fact that they continually make bad business decisions, and treat their best employees like garbage.

If you work here, and you frequently make sacrifices to deliver your best work, you will likely go unrecognized. In fact, your chances are much better at being thrown out in the street with the trash. I am currently looking for another company to work for but have not found anything yet, but I am hoping to get out very soon.

Advice to Management

The following comments are "for what it's worth." This company is doomed to failure if you can't exemplify the basics of professionalism and respect for your employees. You must create an effective employee retention plan that protects your most productive and engaged employees. Rather than cutting valuable individuals from the team, then having to replace them, reduce everyone's hours across the company until things smooth out. This one is important - you need to get another HR department, even if you have to outsource the work. They are poisoning the work environment from the top down, by being such poor leaders in terms of attitude and behavior. Realize that your best and hardest working employees do not want to sit in a zoo, day in and day out. The dysfunctional environment you have now is a sad replacement for one that would have dedicated people in it. Focus on business diversification. You can remain in the field of engineering, but do not limit the company to doing only transportation projects. You should be able to compete with B&M, B&V, HNTB, and other firms that are doing much better overall than TranSystems. However, you have to GROW there a little at a time. The way you are doing business now is killing the best efforts of your people. LET GO of the reigns. Bring in people that have the experience necessary to take you to where you want to go and then LET THEM LEAD.

I don't expect any of this advice will actually be heeded, but I believe it is good medicine - and NECESSARY, considering where things are at right now and where they are headed.