TranSystems Reviews | Glassdoor

TranSystems Reviews

Updated April 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/life balance is strongly enforced (in 4 reviews)

• Great people in individual offices (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Okay for a start as a civil engineer"

Former Employee - Assistant Bridge Inspector in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Bridge Inspector in Paramus, NJ

I worked at TranSystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Assistant Bridge Inspector position- liked the work and loved the time in the field. Hours were flexible around schedule. Enjoyed working with my coworkers. Organized process, very procedural.

Cons

Needs management help!!! Supervisor did not know how to work the program LARS used to evaluate the load ratings and he was the one checking them! Needs help with safety!!! Did not feel heard when I had an issue.

Advice to Management

I cannot stress enough safety should always be number one! The people who work also have families and there lives should never be put in danger. All supervisors should have an even better understanding of LARS than the assistant inspectors. More training and preparation to take on those positions should be completed. The voices under management should be heard.

"Transystems review"

Former Employee - Technician in Philadelphia, MS
    Former Employee - Technician in Philadelphia, MS

I worked at TranSystems (More than a year)

Pros

Transystems is located pretty much all over the united states. So there are offices everywhere. This company is ideal for civil, bridge, aviation and rail people. Architects and interior designers will not thrive here.

Cons

Little room for advancement in growing out of the role you are currently in. No work and home life balance. All advancement training has to be done on your own. Though they say they encourage advancement it's really hard to get them to pay or reimbursement training.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your production employees. Offer trainings. Update softwares. Offer bonus and incentives to employees that are hourly too. They work just as hard if not harder than salaried paid employees and get half the compensation.

3. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TranSystems (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with TranSystems just over a month and I'm happy I made the move. Onboarding was well organized and seemless and training started almost immediately. The company is well organized and has standard practices that are well thought out and easy to understand. One thing I have particularly noticed is the focus TranSystems places on the employee and the employees personal development goals and the companies desire that everyone advance in their chosen career path. Supervisors and management are supportive and realistic with their expectations.

Cons

As a mid-sized engineering firm, TranSystems doesn't have the depth of resources in the local offices I am use to. Networking throughout the company is needed to tap into these resources

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Continue to expand the use of Yammer and other technical networks for collaboration and networking.

"Freelancing was great!"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Writer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at TranSystems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working conditions - mostly from home - but also had a cube in the marketing department room which had a panoramic view. The VP writer who worked with me was always coming up with fun assignments such as newsletter stories that were beyond my official scope of work, which was writing project descriptions.

Cons

There was a lot of friction when acquired companies were expected to totally submerge their identities in TranSystems'. They felt they were losing the goodwill they had earned over previous years.

Advice to Management

A little more flexibility might keep employees happier and more productive. A couple of sudden firings of top women employees left me wondering what was up.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

professional atmosphere, good benefits, great support staff

Cons

limited growth potential, quirky performance review system

7. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love this company! Great people and great work. I'm engaged in what I do, and love the people that I work with.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that I'm so engaged in my work that I tend to work quite a bit, but I love what I do.

8. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Environmental Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Environmental Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at TranSystems (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I've worked with is very friendly. The job has great perks and is as involved in the community as I've ever seen a company be. They are involved with different charities, we've had several highschoolers come and talk to a lot of different people who work here. With all of it's benefits and the atmosphere,. it's a great place to work.

Cons

I'm an intern, so I don't get some of the benefits (paid holidays, etc.)

"Business Development Coordinator"

Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Development Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TranSystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s been a little over a month since I began at TranSystems, and I'm thrilled to report that I'm the happiest I've ever been in a professional environment. Onboarding was organized and painless. Training was engaging. Supervisors and management are supportive and realistic with their expectations. You can expect a steady pace and a calm environment that values—and practices—organized, thoughtful work styles (versus high-stress/knee-jerk reactions). Your input is not only welcome but encouraged no matter where you are on the organizational chart. Work/life balance is strongly enforced. The TranSystems transparency policy to their employees and shareholders is such that I feel safe and confident about the stability of the organization. And, evidently, I’m not the only one: it’s common to see 10-, 15-, 20-, and nearly 30-year anniversaries shared on the company intranet. That’s a powerful message in today’s corporate climate.

TranSystems encourages each person to consider their career development and offers a place where an employee can plan and share their goals with the company for future opportunity considerations. They provide copious amounts of training and educational resources if you want to build upon your skills. This factor may be my favorite part about working here: resources! No matter your needs on a day-to-day basis, someone will help you get what you need even if they’re in another office in another time zone. Everyone is happy to roll up their sleeves and dig in.

TranSystems recognizes that treating their people with respect and dignity results in a passionate, inspired workforce that's willing to go the extra mile. What you'll find here is excellent leadership and a company that understands the value behind putting their people first. So why only 4 stars? I want to be able to give them the fifth after my first full year here.

Cons

There are, indeed, a lot of meetings and processes; however, I find them to be beneficial. They foster communication and organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Junior architect"

Former Employee - Junior Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Junior Architect in Kansas City, MO

I worked at TranSystems (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and interesting projects

Cons

Bad management and not collaborative atmosphere

"Overall positive experience, but needed to move on to grow."

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

For the Chicago region, the projects are high profile and exciting given their position within the market. A suburban and downtown office allows for some location flexibility.

Cons

Not enough career development, and work load can be strenuous. It seemed like a few offices were counted on to prop up the performances of many more under achieving locations.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an increased culture for fostering organic growth and succession planning. People will look for opportunities elsewhere otherwise.