TransAm Trucking Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
John Jacobson Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Even though they told us that we are independent contractors they still treated us like a company driver (in 6 reviews)

• Some of the driver managers are great some not so good with people skills (in 5 reviews)

1. "One of the best"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly co-workers and management. A very strong team atmosphere. Encouraging management who are the "help you push" instead of the "tell you to push" kind of people.

As the saying goes, "employees don't leave businesses, they leave management". If this is an accurate statement, I don't believe I'll ever leave TransAm.

I honestly love my job, I love the people I work with, both directly and indirectly. My bosses and generally just everybody I speak with at TransAm are always very encouraging, knowledgeable and inspiring.

I was told that this business was started by a trucker to wanted to create a business that was more trucker oriented; to build a business from the mind of a trucker and not just a businessman or woman. I think they took it one step further and not only make the truckers feel at home but also every employee who works at TransAm.

Cons

Skinny parking spaces in the parking lot. Nothing pertaining to the job itself. This job is honestly fantastic.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've always been friendly and supportive to me. You've always been friendly and supportive to people I've seen you interact with. You are one of the reasons this business is as awesome as it is.

Nov 21, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for the positive review! A strong company culture creates a solid, teamwork-driven work environment. One of our core values is that trucking is a noble profession; every person in the... More

2. "Run away.....fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no reason to work here.

Cons

I'm not big on a lot of talk. I drove for Trans Am for two years because I got a DWI and it was literally the only company that would hire me. What's that tell you? I see post's on here saying:"Their my friend, they help me succeed". Wake up people!!!! They help you because you make the truck payment. You pay the insurance. You pay the maintenance. You haul their freight. Refrigerated freight now is about $3.00 a mile to ship. This is 100% profit to Trans Am. Think about this. "Really". Lie to yourself if you like, but I would bet at "least" $1,000.00, that 90% of current drivers owe Trans Am money right now. It will always be this way. This is the biggest case of "legal theft" I have ever seen. Oh, incidentally, I was born into this industry, and I know trucking. Trans Am office people smile to your face, then sit around the lunch room saying:" How can adults be this stupid". How do I know this? I'm "Personal friends" with a " upper eschelon" current dispatcher. Don't walk away from Trans Am boys and girls......Run..... Just as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

How do you people Sleep at night?You say "80,000.00 a year helps me". Have you no concience. The guys you're stealing from are trying to support families. God See's you. Bet on that.

Jan 10, 2018 – Online Marketing Coordinator

TransAm Trucking is a team. Our office staff offers the behind-scenes-support our company drivers and independent contractors need to succeed. We have personnel who negotiate routes, obtain permits... More

"TransAm=ScamsAm"

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

Nice Trucks. Direct Tv.

Cons

I worked with TransAm for 2 years as an Independent Contractor. Drove over 2800 miles a week and was getting paid on about 400-500 on a good week. They punished me for home time..hammering me in the hole for only two days home time..the following week after home time prepare for Zelch PAY!! That's right..$0.00. Literally. Cash Advances are good but be cautious with those too..they'll only hammer you further in dept with ScamsAm. After that..I found a better company to drive for and brought their truck back..they purchased me the most expensive airplane ticket home..and billed ME for it. Thanks. Then the Cherry on top...I was mailed a final bill in the amount of $6,500 ...for what? I have no idea..I returned the truck in great condition...even detailed the interior. I appreciate the opportunity to witness the grime in this industry..and the experience of OTR driving..including backing and driving in harsh weather conditions.

Advice to Management

Payroll Management..."Have a heart"

Nov 10, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for voicing your concerns. We would like to address your specific concerns in more detail. For further discussion, please email us: transam@transamtruck.com.

"Great until you want to leave"

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice equipment and decent home time

Cons

Some of the driver managers are great some not so good with people skills. They refuse to give work verification to another perspective employer unless you have been gone for 15 days. Which explains why I missed out on a great job opportunity No pay raises or incentives unless you are a lease operator.

Advice to Management

If an employee works hard for you, at least have the courtesy to help better them when they leave by giving references.

Oct 16, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for voicing your concerns.. At TransAm Trucking, we value truck drivers and the noble profession of truck driving. We would like to address your specific concerns in more detail. For... More

5. "Lube Tech"

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

Good learning start to trucks.

Cons

long hours of nothing but pm's . poor management

Sep 1, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

We are sorry that TransAm Trucking was not a good fit. We’re glad we helped you get the experience you needed to continue your career. We wish you luck in your future undertakings.

"Growth and Success"

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

TransAm offered me an entry-level position that turned into a promotion doing a job I really enjoy. The benefits are competitive, the management cares about your success, and you are given opportunities for growth if you are willing to take them on. Plus there was a Snow Cone truck in the parking lot last week.

Cons

Some of my snow cone fell on the ground.

Jul 19, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad to hear TransAm Trucking is able to provide you with a career you really enjoy. We hope to continue to grow together in the future.

"Bad Company to work for"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's nothing good I can say about this company

Cons

The company needs to stop there DM's from sending out the people from orientation to retrieve trucks for the company. When I worked there for two months my so called DM kept sending me out retrieving trucks for the company and every single one was in the shop for that two months and I probably was out making money for maybe two weeks. This company wouldn't even give me a truck that was in the yard. I would not work for this company again nor would I recommend to my friends.

Advice to Management

Stop sending drivers out retrieving trucks for the company unless u intend to pay the drivers for doing so. Don't take it out of the drivers pay like it's the drivers truck.

Sep 12, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for voicing your concerns. At TransAm Trucking, we value truck drivers and the noble profession of truck driving. We want to work with our independent contractors and company drivers to... More

"Diesel Tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time

Pros

Trans Am was a good company to work for. The hours were reasonable as a technician and the amenities for the shop were great. it's clean, everything is in working order, and generally speaking you have everything you need.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest for the industry for a tech, but overtime is plentiful.
    Moving up in the company is a set path that everyone that wants to be more than a regular tech (i.e. become a service writer or a shop manager of some sort) has to take. I don't think it needs to be like that.

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay and I would imagine more quality techs would stay. I know I would have.

Jun 8, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate the time you spent with us at TransAm and we thank you for your suggestion. We wish you luck in your future endeavors.

"This place is Garbage"

Former Employee - Company Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at TransAm Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the Kenworth trucks I stand by them, they are awesome

Cons

This place has a MEAN SWAP GAME I was at a truck stop in Birmingham Alabama for two days with plenty driving time left waiting for someone to come from Indiana to swap loads no sit pay or nothing after doing this a few times I packed my stuff up

Advice to Management

Clean up your act and give drivers who want miles some miles. This company does have force dispatch if you are a company driver and in some instances I've seen them try to force lease owners on dispatch. They clear out there com syst3ms and put new load in if they deny it they don't put the old load back in

Jun 28, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

At TransAm Trucking, we value truck drivers and the noble profession of truck driving. Listening to our company drivers, independent contractors, and regional drivers helps us make TransAm Trucking a... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Driver in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Driver in Olathe, KS

I have been working at TransAm Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driver managers are great (Randall is the best), g reat miles, great home time, they listen to your request and care about what you have to say they alsocare about your safalso, no force dispatch, Kansas has good facilities

Cons

Texas facilities need to be updated

Advice to Management

Fix up Texas location

May 26, 2017 – Online Marketing Coordinator

We appreciate you choosing to be a part of the TransAm Trucking team. Working by our noble purpose is important to our company. Thank you for being a part of it.