TransCorr National Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Brian Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company, Great Employees, Great CEO"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good management and owner. Brian Jones and Josh Behrens are really great people. They make the company atmosphere very fun and friendly. I mean it's literally a very fun place to work.

If you do your job, nobody will mess with you. Plenty of room for advancement.

Cons

I was hired into a sales position. Everybody has to start in operation to get experience in logistics before moving to sales. Operations for me, could get a little redundant and boring at times. Other people love the role. It was always a fun working environment though. Jeremiah is a great manager in operations.

When I moved to sales, like any sales job there is a lot of competition. That is expected. If you are looking to sell for a logistics broker. Transcorr is the spot.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. "Summer Intern"

Pros

Great people, Great work environment.

Cons

Did the same course of events every single day.

"Truthful review (waited nearly two years so that I wasn't bias)"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I waited for quite sometime to write this because I wanted to be able to look back and have a clear view on how things went at transcorr. So please understand I am not writing this to be mean or to deter anyone from working there, or to hurt anyone at the company. ( there are good people that do a good job there).

The "peons" that actually work in operations are decent people. The only other decent thing about this job is it will make you appreciate a good career when you get one. I left this company after sometime and am currently with a very good employer that I have a career with, and understanding that I won't get yelled at or the "we are disappointed in you" talk for being a minute late; and yes I literally mean a single minute. When a company has the time to have a meeting with you spending thirty minutes telling you that you can't come in a minute late because you are on "their time" and you shouldn't be wasting their money, even if you stay late come in early and go above and beyond it will never be appreciated. You will be underpaid and under appreciated unless you belong there. Most of the people that belong there and stay more than a year don`t have a choice because they don't have the capability of finding or earning a better job or career. Use this as a "getting experience job", after or just before a single year it's time to move on.

Cons

The cons are everywhere, to start the total miscommunication of everything (I do not mean managers telling out what to do). 99% of the time other people will need you to help them, then they expect you to do their work for them if you have received a "call in". Understand that there are a handful and I literally mean a handful of people that actually do the real crap work of checking on things to make sure they will be on time and making sure the drivers are getting to where they should be. Everyone else will lie and then say the company/ driver was "lying to them all day"!!! They will usually yell this into the phone then abruptly hang up on someone to show "how mad they are". Which is never true, when you hear someone speak much louder and say "so you have been lying to me all day" that means you are getting a load back and they are trying to show it isn't there fault; it will happen often from "managers". Managers at transcorr are somewhat like fast food cashiers, they will never look you in the face "they simply just stare at their computer and do nothing" and they have to idea what's going on. They are just trying to make it through the day without making any mistakes.

Advice to Management

None, they will continue to do what they what. And I'm sure it's making them money (not as much as it could be making them, but they don't seem to care about that and this is more for the owners. I know the mid management doesn't make much and doesn't have much choice in the overall direction.)

"Awesome Learning Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Pros

Upon starting, you are put through training with a knowledgeable and patient trainer until you are ready to be integrated into operations or customer service. The departments are set up so you have a mentor to make sure you have guidance through your first 90 days. You are set up for success! If you are looking for a fun, young culture, this is the place for you! You are rewarded for your hard work.

Cons

I really do not see many Con's. This is a growing company with room for advancement.

5. "A fair and honorable employer that takes care of those who take care of the company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay for performance approach. Casual and interactive atmosphere

Cons

I truly have no negatives about this employer.; I have had several over the years. this one is great!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing

"Let this "Golden opportunity" pass by, it is a company run by a small unit of people that are related to each other pat"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grandville, MI

I have been working at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal trainer that you can use on your lunch or after work.

Cons

Management is very weak and will lie to employees, as long as they look good to upper management

Advice to Management

Just when you think the morale cannot get lower, the managers ignore changes that need to be made.

"Wonderful company, if you like to be belittled"

Former Employee - Operations/Sales in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Operations/Sales in Grandville, MI

I worked at TransCorr National Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The gym, the personal trainer, the fast paced work. Everyone seems to be young and right out of college. Challenging.

Cons

Where do I begin? The first red flag I should have realized is when I wasn't allowed to use my real name there. About 90% of the employees are not called by their real first name. Not only that, the managers care so little about the employees that they don't bother to learn your real name. You are just a nickname that they give you.

Second red flag was the day I found someone stealing money from me (who was best friends with one of the managers) and when I went to the manager I was told "things like this happen, and you need to deal with it" And then I was later written up for "not being a team player". Oh I found out later that the guy stealing from me got promoted to manager also. Convenient.

Third is when I didn't get the raise I was told I would get. When I was hired on I was told when I would get a raise and the amount it would be. That day came, and I was promoted like I was told but "they just couldn't afford to give me the raise I was told". And a month later when I brought it up again I was told "if you don't like it then you don't have to work here" Great way to encourage empowerment and self worth.

Fourth is when I was no longer allowed to work out on my lunch break. MY LUNCH BREAK, I was allowed to leave and go eat, or I could stay and eat at my desk, I could go do backflips in the parking lot if I chose to, but I was not allowed to work out at the FREE GYM that was literally 30 feet from my desk that this company bought for the employees to work out. They also pay for a personal trainer.

Fifth is I was required to lie to customers on a daily basis. If we could find a customer that is willing to take less money to do the same work then we would just call the first guy and lie to him about how the freight isn't available anymore. Managers couldnt understand why I hated calling customers back and lying to them.

And the last thing, the company is big into charities, which is awesome. But, I signed up for a charity event sponsored by the company, and after being fired for "lying about what I do at work" I asked for my money back for the charity event because I did not want them to represent me, and they told me "No, what kind of person would want money back from a charity" It makes me wonder if the charity even got the money.

This company is 1 of 2 things. Either too large too fail and they will continue running a business that has no loyalty from its employees or customers. Or they will fail when they get too big and it will affect a lot of people in a negative way, and the owners wont even care.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what advice is given here, they already know the best way to run a company, just ask them. It's a shame you guys don't have consideration for the employees that do all the work. Management is not the only one that should recieve perks.

""The Club""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Pros

Very fast paced. Learn on the job and you learn very quickly. Company hires similar energetic people who can do the job and care about the company. I'd honestly recommend using them if someone asked me about freight brokers. The team is expected to get the job done and they always do.

Cons

There is "The Club" where you're either "In" or your "Out" with the management team. It's not required to be a suck up to get in the club, but it will definitely help. One guy who not long ago transferred down to their Indianapolis office was a true ass kisser and it helped him get to the top very very quickly. It's also very easy to get kicked out of the club. One day you may see the group(that you used to be a part of) of managers and leaders heading into the conference room and suddenly you're on the outs. Oh and they hold a lot of meetings in there daily. Sometimes 4 or 5 a day. Really? Then everything has to be a secret after all of these meetings and only a select few are in the know even though everyone can see what is going on due to the way the office is setup.

From what I've seen on here, salaries have dropped considerably since I worked there. Not surprised one bit. My advice to those who go to work there: Get some experience, make a few friends, and move on. Otherwise, they'll move you on out in a matter of time. They're always looking for the weakest link.....ALWAYS!

Good luck arguing your side with the head honcho. If you don't agree with him then you're instantly on his bad list.

Advice to Management

Retire and take all of your toys with the TNL logo on them with you.

9. "Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Pros

Great, growing company. Innovative and lots of opportunities for advancement or lateral transfers. With such a big company it's impossible to please everyone.

Cons

They demand you work hard, be on time, be positive (which sounds easy but there were individuals there that were mopey, pouted, and wanted to bring others down because they hate their lives).

10. "Great place to work for some"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grandville, MI

Pros

Opportunity to travel and perform business to business sales.
    Opportunity to make good money for 12-24 months in sales

Cons

Management constantly changes commission schedules. Managers tend to motivate by yelling and pointing out faults. Office has more than its share of "yes men". I did notice in my time there that management was more concerned with how they could dock my pay and take my customers from me than they were with helping me to grow. I made great money there due to spot market, but in the end I had to leave because having to deal with management daily outweighed the nearly six figure income I was on track to make (in the Michigan job market that is certainly saying a lot). Management pushes a "team" atmosphere, but the team is very quick to throw you under the bus at the drop of a dime.

Advice to Management

Take note of all the great sales people that leave while making great money. It may be that the management style needs to change in order to keep the good sales people. The front door should not revolve as much as it does. I really enjoyed a lot of my time there, but the bad just outweighed the good.