KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

TransMarket Group Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2022

Found 53 of over 70 reviews

3.3
TransMarket Group CEO Doug Adams (no image)
Doug Adams

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "based culture and competitive and challenging working environment.(in 9 reviews)
  • "The firm has a comprehensive training program that includes reviews of market microstructure, practice in making markets, training in the firm’s proprietary models and case studies.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Good people(in 4 reviews)
  • "Decent money and great tech(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to be a trader

Jan 5, 2022 - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a trading company run by traders. If you are a high performer and want more agency over PnL and direct influence on your compensation, this is your place. Work life balance seems to be better than at other firms. I have found the mentorship to be top-notch, but only because I have sought it out. Lack of structure/hierarchy means a more entrepreneurial culture, which I have enjoyed. I get paid well and I enjoy the company of my coworkers.

Cons

The technology is slower than competitors. Teams are segregated and their isn't much collaboration, although this isn't by design. Management is slow to make changes and having senior people down in Puerto Rico doesn't help. If you end up on a lesser performing desk then you probably wont do as well. There is no structured training program for new hires, although this wasn't an issue for me. HR/recruiting hasn't done a great job at getting good talent in the door.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not Bad

Apr 8, 2022 - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was happy here. Good people

Cons

The dude who hired me was rude and mean

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

not the worst firm to work at

Mar 28, 2022 - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

sharing of knowledge across desks, ski trips, mentorship and learning opportunities

Cons

poor management, pay, politics, work hours

4. 1.0
    Former Employee

TRADER

Mar 3, 2022 - Trader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent money and great tech

Cons

Management are difficult to work with

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A great company with solid prospects

Jul 18, 2021 - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic opportunities for growth, but you do have to put in the time // work. Great benefits, including free lunch daily. They used to do an annual ski trip, not sure if this is done anymore. Business is very well run

Cons

Landing on a good desk / having a desk head is crucial, but this can be on the luck of the draw. Sometimes upper management can be a bit distant and not communicate as clearly as they should

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Trader

Jul 1, 2021 - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy to make own trading decisions, high ceiling

Cons

Technology slower than other groups

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Prospectives beware

Feb 22, 2021 - Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Catered lunches, annual ski trip, great bonuses if ended up on one of three very profitable desks.

Cons

Very wildly managed firm. New joiners by luck of the draw ends up at either a profitable desk or not, irrespective of talent, just of that market's liquidity and trading dynamics. Most managers lucked into their roles by joining early but have no leadership abilities. Very exploitative culture of employees on H1B knowing they can't leave. Certain management team members trash talk women and throw tantrum fits like throwing phones on bad days. Most employees who try to leave get punished by being garden leaved.

8 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee

If you want covid, work here

Feb 18, 2021 - Algorithmic Trader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches and flexible vacation policy

Cons

This firm has had serious issues with covid-19 response and they are only getting worse.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Junior Trader

Mar 5, 2013 - Junior Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I find the environment very casual and easy to work in: (very) casual dressing, ping pong table on the floor, young employees, food is paid by the company and delivered on the floor. Everyone is pretty laid back. There are also a few social events organized and paid by the company (3d ski trip in Colorado, Restaurants, GoKart...etc). Everything is done to have the employees working in the best conditions. TMG is all about merit though: what you get out from that company is what you put in. Employees start trading very quickly and get granted more responsibilities if they perform well. This is a very flat organization where all that really matters is performance (fixed salary is fairly low - 50-60k for a junior tarder, but the bonus can be very high - several hundred thousands after 1-2y of exp)

Cons

- flat organization so being promoted roughly only means that you get the opportunity of working on a larger desk. It's not like a big bank where you can maybe more easily start a career and work there all your life. - It is possible to work overnight for up to 2 years when you start as a junior trader (Asian or European shift)

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Junior Quantitative Trader

Apr 21, 2013 - Junior Quantitative Trader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I joined TMG right after I obtained my PhD degree in mathematics. I really enjoyed the team-based culture and competitive and challenging working environment. I did learn a lot of trading experience which is far more than I expected. It's like everyday I will learn something new both in terms of trading and modeling, very excited. I feel really lucky to choose this job rather than a pure quant job in banks or other firms. The company also organizes many AWESOME events where everyone can really get involved and enjoy. As a foreigner, it helps me a lot to learn and get involved into the American culture. As far as the pay structure, the starting base salary is relatively low compared with many other firms, especially compared with pure quant job. But bonus could be HUGE, where you will find at the end of the year, your base salary is only a small part of your total compensation. You will get a fair amount of what you contribute to the company. I like this structure since it always motivate me to work hard and improve since I can see positive result quickly.

Cons

have nothing to mention really

Viewing 1 - 10 of 53 Reviews

TransMarket Group Reviews FAQs

TransMarket Group has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 70 reviews left anonymously by employees. 50% of employees would recommend working at TransMarket Group to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, TransMarket Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at TransMarket Group. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

50% of TransMarket Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated TransMarket Group 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at TransMarket Group to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be workplace, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with TransMarket Group Job Seekers