TransPerfect Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.6
TransPerfect Co-CEO Elizabeth Elting
Elizabeth Elting

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Connect with people around the world (in 15 reviews)

• My heart was set on getting into project management so it was a tough road for me (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance here (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours if you want to move up is almost a must (in 71 reviews)

"Long term career choice"

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good processes and continuous development of new strategies . Some managers are flexible and try to help you.

Cons

Long hours if you want to move up is almost a must. Atttention to detail, otherwise little mistake would fire back big. Daily routine gets monotonous and rarely you can switch.

Advice to Management

Don't overwork your employees. Life work balance is important so hire more people to cover the work available.

2. ""Leader" needs to LEAD!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits are fair. The people are the best compared with anywhere and any market! You get to meet people from all over, who all bring an energy that creates the most unique work environment I have ever been a part of or even heard of!

Cons

One would think that this unique environment was the product of leadership, but unfortunately that cannot be said. The Co-CEO, Liz Elting, is the face of TransPerfect with it comes to the media and the public, but surprisingly she has absolutely nothing to do with the true leadership and success of this company. She has a PR team that paints a certain picture about her to the public, and she spends countless hours feeding that image that is pushed, but those of us who work here know what an incredible farce that is! She brought this entire litigation mess upon herself and us, simply to cash out her shares at a crazy inflated price. When she has been approached many times with reasonable offers, she has turned them down. And now even when the judge has ordered mediation, and again she is presented with many ways to settle, she again completely dismisses it. Ms Elting, is this what you are referring to when you constantly bark about "integrity"?

Advice to Management

People need to not feel insecure about their jobs or scared by the Chancery Judge basically putting a muzzle over our mouths. Speak up. Tell everyone the truth, which is Ms. Elting is nothing more than a greed nuisance, and the sooner she leaves the quicker we can get back to doing what we do best.

3. "Operations"

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

International company with positive recognition.

Cons

Unless kiss up to management, you will not advance within the company. Also, there is a negative tone that permeates through the office on most days.

Advice to Management

Recognize those employees who are not just revenue earning. The ones in the back office who do a great job at keeping the whole ship running. Also, pay a salary commensurate with the duties that positions require.

4. "People Focused vs. Numbers Focused"

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! Wonderful opportunity to be exposed to international markets and cultures. Woman-owned.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Please read "Leaders Eat Last" by Simon Sinek.

"So this is how the game works:"

Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What can I say? I learned how ugly business can be.

Cons

When I started translating, upper management contacted me and actively encouraged me to request purchase order corrections. Now I'm reading that Transperfect deducts hundreds of dollars from their bonus for every "faulty purchase order" accounting has to correct.

(So if your bonus doesn't reflect what it should, now you know why).

Likewise, project managers are actively encouraged to deduct word counts if needed to meet the high markup required to get a bonus.

It sounds to me like they have created a system where the two teams who have to work together have been pitted against each other. If one wins, the other has to lose. But the owners always win.

I

Advice to Management

Create a new system, because this one has been exposed. We're on to you.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global offices, some people are nice

Cons

Before applying or committing to this job, please take a moment to research the ongoing legal case of our CEO's suing each other. This place is falling apart and BOTH CEO's are to blame. This is not a company you want to start or continue your career at. There are things that are hidden at this company that would astonish you. You can also see how Phil and other senior sales managers make people write positive reviews that are also pointed at how Liz should get out. The game playing at this company is comical... many have left and are gearing up to leave.

Advice to Management

Need management training. Stop being condescending.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing top-notch technology in localization industry; training team and project management team is good enough to provide lots of support to new hires; summer Fridays are offered with flexible paid/non-paid days off as long as you can figured your coverage out; employees are nice; cross-functional teams are supportive; work are challenging and projects are fun

Cons

Senior management is not listening to the middle management/entry level teams and act like they know everything of what is going on; typical agency culture where what matters the most is cutting corners, pressing vendors and being cheap; systems are old but not updating fast enough with the cutting-edge technology; Sales are being praised but who did the most job: project managers and engineers are greatly devalued.

"HR Generalist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect (Less than a year)

Pros

good exposure to different country HR matters

Cons

no support structure for the HR team, no budget for training to bring HR staff up to speed with different legislative requirements in all countries covered, strong micromanagement

Advice to Management

become more people friendly

9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard play hard culture, nice colleagues

Cons

Limited perks, limited career opps

"review"

Current Employee - Senior Project Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair compensation, ability to relocate once you are more senior, flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Long hours, some bad management.