TransPerfect Project Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Phil Shawe
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great opportunity to learn a lot from your project" (in 21 reviews)

• "You will meet some great people" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance is terrible compared to most good sales teams" (in 70 reviews)

• "long hours, no security for 6 months, management is awful" (in 81 reviews)

"Project Coordinator, Transperfect"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The Milwaukee office is amazing, low-key, but hard-working. Working with languages is fascinating.

Cons

The translation industry can be incredibly fast-paced sometimes and so you might have to work a long day or skip lunch.

"Good place to start a career, but not stay more than a few years"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You manage big projects for big clients very early on
    - Great location
    - Steadily growing company
    - There can be decent growth opportunities for the first 5 years

Cons

- Fairly intense hours
    - Not the easiest industry to transition out of
    - The egos of the sales teams can be obnoxious

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun, young, interesting coworkers, convenient locations

Cons

the hiring model revolves around recruiting and exploiting recent college grads. new employees are overwhelmed with an impossible amount of work and horrible pay with the assumption that these young professionals don't know any better and won't stick up for themselves. turnover rate is extremely high - no one i met there was happy or planning to stay. absolutely terrible work life balance. i cannot stress this enough, if you are a recent college grad thinking about working for TP, know that they are only planning to hire you so they can run you into the ground with grunt work for as long as you can take it while giving you the lowest pay possible so that you aren't eligible for overtime. i'm warning you from personal experience to hold out for another job because this is not worth it.

Advice to Management

if you want to fix your turnover problem, stop taking advantage of recent college grads

"Work-life"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, friendly coworkers, potential bonus

Cons

No work-life balance, low salary, high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention

"Making people sick - avoid at all costs"

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pro? I was lucky to have great people on my team. And the job paid the bills (barely, however). These are two few pros to even fulfill the 20 word minimum in this review.

Cons

Not even sure where to start. Toxic environment. International colleagues hide behind mean anonymous emails. People don't stick to basic communication manners. Terrible workload, terrible pay. No payment for overtime, which is required often. Hard work is not appreciated the way it should be. In the shortest amount of time people working here get miserable. High fluctuation. Expect us to work with insulting rates for linguists. Try to mask the bad work environment through changing "benefits". No upward mobility. Half of the people seem to stay for their visas, the other half is looking for other jobs.

Advice to Management

Maybe spend a month on production and see how you hold up.

"Wilmington team is good, the rest of the company less so"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at TransPerfect (More than a year)

Pros

Other members of the production team are generally great, especially those based in Wilmington. Management is very flexible and accomodating

Cons

-Sales treats production like dirt a majority of the time.
    -so-called "career path" is a joke. If you stay on the PM track you get a title bump, but no additional responsibilities, just expected to do the same things faster than before. Management track is less of a joke, but there realistically aren't many chances for that sort of mobility.
    -No consequences for team members who don't pull their own weight or constantly mess things up, even when it's the same issue repeatedly. Management doesn't do anything other than issue a verbal warning, which has taught some team members that they can get away with anything, which only exacerbates the problem.

Advice to Management

Hold low-performing PMs accountable for their failings. Stick up for PMs when sales makes repeated unreasonable requests.

"Project coordinator"

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for an entry level graduate. As a first job, right out of college, it provides good insight into the process of administrating a project from assignment to deadline.

Cons

Similar to other reviews, the starting salaries are below average. Be prepared to work long hours without compensation. The work load always seems to over the threshold of what one coordinator can handle. This company is only one rung for you to use to climb up to something better. (hence the high turnover rate)

Advice to Management

The front line managers are doing the best they can with what they have. My advice to upper management is to find a way to properly compensate your operational employees, or spread the work load out.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a job to get project management experience straight out of college. You learn to efficiently multitask in a high paced environment. Because you're kept busy, the day feels like it goes by quickly, even if you are working 10+ hours. The material to be translated that you work with can be very interesting. Team Leads were supportive, patient and a pleasure to work with. After sticking it out for a rough first year, opportunities and salaries increase with possibilities to move internationally.

Cons

Very stressful, lots of work with low pay- Each day, X amount of projects will come in for PM teams to place with linguists or complete. If one PM is sick or leaves early, the burden to place remaining jobs falls on the others. Because of this I (and my colleagues) felt pressured to work overtime without pay. I felt I was shortchanging and cheating linguists out of fair pay because of the tight budgets PCs/PMs are given to work with. Incredibly tight deadlines with a focus on quantity over quality work created a stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Encourage a work-life balance. The Project Coordinator turnover rate was over 50% from the time I started working at Transperfect to the time I left less than a year later. Treat PCs fairly with better work incentives and fair pay for the work that they do.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the office and the view. The best part of the job was working with the linguists, some had great personalities while others were difficult but they all made the job interesting and different everyday. The company is great for straight out of college graduates who need experience and training for fast pace environments and multitasking. I learned a lot in the training and appreciated the high standards they put on their employees (at least the lifeSci department).

Cons

I really had a hard time feeling appreciated and valued at the company, I watched a lot of people quit in the short two years I worked there. My opinion was that the over all office tempo was depressing but this could change with the right effort from managemnt.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and relieve the work load so there isn't such a high turn over rate.

"Typical Entry Level BS"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful location, just off the Milwaukee River. Close to urban "nature" and decent food.
    Low pressure from production manager.

Cons

The production team receives all of the blame and none of the recognition. Deadlines are tight, making the job stressful. Disgustingly procedure-oriented.

Advice to Management

Don't let your clients walk all over you--a business relationship is a two way street, if the client demands more, your company needs to be given the resources to see it through, or else quality goes down and employee stress goes up.