TransPerfect Reviews | Glassdoor

TransPerfect Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Connect with people around the world (in 15 reviews)

• Again, my managers listened to me and I was given the chance to do Project Management, training AND translation (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to maintain while difficult projects are ongoing (in 50 reviews)

• at the start there will be long hours as there are with most new jobs as you (in 68 reviews)

1. "Sales Intern"

Pros

Great environment. Great people. Successful company that is growing fast. Great balance of fun and hard working environment.

Cons

Lack of structure in Intern program. Day to day work versus long term projects.

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I made some lifelong friends during my time at TransPerfect.
    -Lots of hands on business experience. Good way to get your foot in the door coming right out of college.

Cons

Despite the positives that I listed above, my experience as an employee at TransPerfect was a nightmare. For starters, the compensation plan is a complete joke. Granted it was my first job out of college and is an entry level position (account manager), but I was barely scraping by in a position that usually earns around $20k more than what I was offered. The absurd part of it is that I was in a sales role where there wasn't any sort of commission plan. Anybody who I've told that to outside of the company has said that they've never heard of such a thing. How do you motivate your salespeople to sell if there's no commission plan? People in upper management will tell you that the incentive is in promotion to account executive, and that most account managers will be able to earn the promotion within 6-12 months. However, even with the promotion you only earn a slight increase in your base salary (from $40k to $45k...if you're lucky) and your commission plan is only around 2% of each proactive sale that you make...again, that's if you're lucky. I've heard of account executives earning only .25% commission. On top of everything else you have a toxic work environment. Upper management is abysmal. My manager picked on me for no reason and made me feel like I was constantly on the verge of being fired. Take note, too, that I was one of the top performers in the office, yet there were people below me who couldn't meet their numbers that my manager absolutely loved. For whatever reason it was personal to him. The worst part about it is that particular attitude is extremely pervasive throughout the entire upper management team. It's a culture of entitlement and is totally unprofessional. The worst part is that everything I've said is only the tip of the iceberg. I could go on for hours. I'm thankful for the opportunity that I was given directly out of college, but there are definitely better options at other companies. I managed only 10 months there and half of my time was spent looking for another job so that I could get out. Avoid TransPerfect at all costs.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and treat us better. Entitlement culture will only make people want to leave.

"Director of business development"

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect (More than a year)

Pros

You have an opportunity to make money here, if translation excites you..

Cons

Huge company, lot competition, your just 1 of hundreds of sales reps.

"Translation service provider company"

Pros

Transperfect provides translation services for publishers of a wide variety. The company is founded by a non technical person who is highly driven by sales. As a result the company gets a lot of business which allows engineers to work with a variety of clients on interesting projects. There is never a shortage of work at Transperfect and the projects are each unique and last about 6 months which means you never got bored. I found the work interesting because each project was so different and required me to master a new skill set. Also most projects are single engineer projects - meaning you are the only one designing and coding the project. This was wonderful for me because every design decision was mine and all that mattered in the end was that it worked.

Cons

The company is privately owned and the owner doesn't believe in investing in employees. Salaries are low, perks are few and the people in the production department (who do the translating) are highly overworked.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth.

"Project Manager role"

I have been working at TransPerfect part-time

Pros

vertical structure, direct manager contact, fast paced environment, great energy

Cons

high stress, tight deadlines, low starting salary

"Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the office and the view. The best part of the job was working with the linguists, some had great personalities while others were difficult but they all made the job interesting and different everyday. The company is great for straight out of college graduates who need experience and training for fast pace environments and multitasking. I learned a lot in the training and appreciated the high standards they put on their employees (at least the lifeSci department).

Cons

I really had a hard time feeling appreciated and valued at the company, I watched a lot of people quit in the short two years I worked there. My opinion was that the over all office tempo was depressing but this could change with the right effort from managemnt.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and relieve the work load so there isn't such a high turn over rate.

8. "Account Manager"

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

young office, directly reporting to SVP so good book of business to grow from

Cons

no real training, people a little two faced

"Fraudulent"

Pros

Only good thing about this job is the cowotkers you get to know there. Nice ppl from all over the world

Cons

So much lies. First they promise a career part with a salary rise ut doesn't exist and dont observe. You get the first rise after trainings like 3 months later instead of right after the 3 trainig weeks. Another thing they offer incentives for ppl with" good" performance. Ut its a joke. They try their best for not paying OT. HUMAN RESOURCES tried to sell me some bs why i didnt get lay OT I TOOK IT TO THR MANAGER AND AFTER A 2 WEEKS THE RECOGNIZE IT WAS A "MISTAKE". O
    Besides I was given a apple store gift card and when i tried yo use it omg no funds , never activated. Its a nasty place to work management wise.

Advice to Management

Go just for the experience no for money.

"Production Intern"

Pros

Doing real tasks, not intern duties

Cons

Low pay, cheap to linguists, too much focus on rushing

"Look eslewhere"

Pros

If you stay long enough, they'll probably send out somewhere. I got several trips to London in, others went to Hong Kong, Montreal, LA, and Hawaii. Always work trips but nice.

Cons

A lot of their middle management failed up, or failed laterally. A lot of the people running the show are just not that bright, or not that empathetic. Given the amount of pressure that gets placed on people, that is not a good combination.

Advice to Management

Retain talent and get rid of the chaff. Build up leaders with brains and backbones. If you care about quality, align incentives such that it's not way more profitable to be a bad manager grinding your team to the ground.