TransPerfect Team Lead Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2019

Team Lead

Phil Shawe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great opportunity to learn a lot from your project" (in 21 reviews)

• "You will meet some great people" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance is terrible compared to most good sales teams" (in 70 reviews)

• "long hours, no security for 6 months, management is awful" (in 81 reviews)

"Hard work leads to limitless possibilities"

Current Employee - Team Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at TransPerfect for 3 years now. I came to this company after being an Operations Manager for 8+ years. I started out in the PC role and quickly moved my way up to Team Lead and now onto other special projects. TransPerfect has rewarded me, both professionally and personally, for all of my hard work. The more I did, the more I received. In the past year, I have travelled to 5 countries (either because of work or for personal trips) and developed a new specialty that my managers and I came up with together. I am in full control of my career and where I want to be in that process is up to me. My managers do everything they can to help me achieve MY goals. That is something I never had before. I have worked at many other companies, and TransPerfect is the only one that I feel truly values me as an employee.

Cons

This job is a lot of hard work. I won’t sugar coat that. It is NOT for everyone - just like any corporation, it’s a competitive environment and the bottom performers don’t get rewarded. Its merit based and they opportunities are endless, but there is a ton of competition for those opportunities. That being said there were many issues that management has been made aware of and are working on fixing.

1. poor hiring (too young, fresh out of college kids that don’t want to work at all). This was detrimental to the team environment that we work so hard to have.

2. poor management. Managers were promoted based on length and not merit. The first two years for me were very hard. I wasn’t on the same page as my manager (who I didn’t feel should have been in that role) and I didn’t see a long term plan. She was very young and had no formal mgmt training. Work was not evenly distributed.

3. Work life balance. It used to be very hard to leave at 6pm due to the issues I stated above.

In the past 10 months, I have seen drastic changes. Management training has been put in place, hiring has gotten better and I haven’t stayed at the office past 6PM in months. I’ve been promoted and had the opportunity to voice the concerns I listed above and become part of the solution. Management has heard us loud and clear and responded with immediate solutions. We are now moving into long term fixes that have completely changed the culture at TransPerfect. I am very proud to say I work for this company and this management team.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

2. "Great people"

Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing job recruiting people

Cons

Benefits are substandard and not competitive

"Team Lead"

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for growth, mainly if you are able to outlast most people, so if you are committed, you can definitely gain good work experience.
    Competitive pay once you prove your worth, and they are usually open to negotiating.
    Average age of coworkers is mid 20s.

Cons

Average workday is 12hrs.
    Upper management consists of young people who have extremely inflated egos and have no business managing people.
    Most sales people take Production for granted, and expect them to work around the clock to support them.
    In general, the company preys on young, desperate professionals who don't have much work experience (and don't know any better) so that they can work their employees into the ground.
    Nobody - not your boss, not your boss' boss, not your coworkers - cares about you as an individual.
    You really don't want to work here. Really.

Advice to Management

Start over with a clean slate. Focus your energy on hiring the right people, and only put people with great leadership qualities in leadership roles. Once you have that as a foundation, make sure you keep your people happy. I am positive the company will be able to make even more money than it is with its current long-standing, broken, and toxic work environment.

"Great project management experience at a global corporation"

Current Employee - Team Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is filled with ambitious, hard-working go-getters, which fosters a positive environment, encouraging growth in all employees. While everyone works hard towards their own goals, there is also a sense of camaraderie and teamwork within departments
    Even though the company is quite large, every employee gets great individual attention and training.

Cons

The project management position can be quite demanding at times, which can take a toll on work/life balance.

"Great career opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Team Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

After 2-and-half years working as Project Manager at TransPerfect, I am still amazed by all the unique challenges that await every day, working alongside the biggest-named clients. The atmosphere is a balanced blend of strong training/support from the senior coworkers, and a competitive spirit between individuals, teams, and entire departments, creating a great environment for anyone who loves challenges. With the rapid expansion of the company, there is no shortage of room for growth and career advancement, into either a Senior Project Management role, working with VIP clients, or into management roles.

In short, TransPerfect is a GREAT place to work, and the opportunities for growth and rewards are simply too nice to pass up!

Cons

Full accountability on the job also means occasional long hours.

"Team Lead"

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Learned how to manage large volumes of content.

Cons

- Senior Management is consistently asking their employees to write positive review s on Glassdoor in order to balance all the negative reviews.
    - No work/life balance.
    - Anyone who believes it's 'Work hard/Play hard', it's only because they don't know what is like to work in a good company that cares about their employee's well-being.
    - It's a private company with zero control on how the Senior Management is behaving.

Advice to Management

- If you don't get along with them, they'll bully you until they push you out. Happened hundreds f times in the past.

"A lot of talk but not much action"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supposedly great professional work development

Cons

Didn't improve much from first to last day

Advice to Management

Keep talent happy

8. "Good place to be!"

Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice culture, room for growth, lots of work available

Cons

sometimes high pressure, some stress

"A sinking ship: worst company ever"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, often too busy, sad or angry to build strong liaisons. My team was awesome (Engineering, Quotes and e-learning).

Cons

Everything else was a complete disaster. For a start, management is terrible. Non-experienced, no seniority, no meritocracy. Hardly 6 or 8 people at the office live like kings, partying hard, and the rest is miserable. If you think you are going to join that selected group by drinking with them, doing overtime or bullying another colleagues ... sorry to say, you are not going to be part of that aristocracy.
    Salaries are all below market, but they still demand impossible skills from the candidates. As they pay peanuts, young and junior employees are forced to work extra hors and bank holidays. You are not supposed to have your own life outside the company.
    The company is about to be sold, as the two CEOs have been declare uncapable to run the company and it is very likely that the main managers at the BCN office will run away or get fired by the new owners.
    I could keep writing pages and pages about the company, but just check the rest of the reviews (not the shameful fake ones).

Advice to Management

Good luck with your job seaech. As our VP once said "if you do not like these conditions, I will locate the office in Romania". Hope you are looking for a nice flat in Bucharest. Some of us are lucky enough now we have left.

10. "International Family"

Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Chance to shape your own career path
    * Connect with people around the world
    * Strong relationship with team
    * Really fun team events
    * Open door policy
    * Home/Work balance vastly improved from previous years
    * Specialised and ongoing training sessions with existing and new managers

Cons

* Some days can be high intensity due to the nature of the business

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your managers