TransPerfect Translator Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Phil Shawe

"Freelance translator"

I have been working at TransPerfect for more than 9 years

Pros

The company provides a seemingly endless volume of work for a freelance translator or reviewer. The variety of work is interesting. The PMs work very hard to manage the workflow and are very efficient. Reviews are usually fair. PMs are generally fair, flexible and friendly and professional in email exchanges. Amazing considering the pressure we deal with every single day (and nighr).

Cons

This company operates 24 hours a day in every time zone, 365 days a year. A freelancer may receive a huge volume of requests at any time from any office worldwide. It can be overwhelming sometimes and requires a lot of time and effort to manage. It can be stressful. Efforts are being made to improve. Rates may seem low and there's some pressure from PMs to lower them more, below a sustainable income in the U.S. I negotiate...

Advice to Management

It would help to recruit more qualified translators and reviewers. Despite price pressures from clients, translators are leaving the industry when they find rates are not sustainable.

TransPerfect2014-06-03
  2. "A good company for getting solid experience"

Former Employee - Freelance Translator in Panama City Beach, FL

I worked at TransPerfect for more than 6 years

Pros

If you just started your freelance business, you can learn a lot about how the industry works, how to meet your clients' requirements, and get training in using their CAT tool. Also, you can get a tremendous amount of work from them, which translates into solid experience and skills.

Cons

low rates, tight deadlines, lack of feedback

TransPerfect2019-01-28

"Great PMs, worst at paying on time"

Current Employee - Freelance Translator in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect for more than a year

Pros

Some of the PMs and internal linguists are really nice and friendly, working with them is a pleasure.

Cons

They are the absolute worst at paying on time and being transparent about payments, 45 days from invoice has not happened once, often receive an email confirming payment made a couple of days before but 'it may take up to ten days to arrive'. This ten-day rule is often broken as well and trying to get in touch with an actual human being is god awful, you can only open tickets and then they might take three days to reply.

Advice to Management

Pay your freelancers on time! Without them you wouldn't have a business, you expect a lot and freelancers are just expected to 'accept' your problems.

TransPerfect2018-12-07

"Decent Translation Agency"

I have been working at TransPerfect for more than 20 years

Pros

They have lots of work most of the time. The project managers are very friendly and rates can be negotiated.

Cons

The payment terms, 45 days net. Rates have declined in the past few years.

Advice to Management

Work on improving the payment terms and base rates.

TransPerfect2018-11-11

"Translator"

Former Employee - Translator

I worked at TransPerfect part-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of any. Maybe some experience.

Cons

I can only say: Stay away. Low pay, IF they pay. They still owe me a few hundred for completed projects. Worst company I've ever had to deal with. Extremely unprofessional and unreliable. The other reviews on here say it all.

Advice to Management

Pay people properly and stop being so incredibly unprofessional!

TransPerfect2018-09-27

"Translator"

I have been working at TransPerfect for more than 6 years

Pros

I’ve watched TPT grow from an innovative newbie into a global corporation, with a seemingly endless appetite for expansion. For some good five or so years, the company managed to find a fine balance between the usually demanding and competitive corporate culture and the increasingly elusive sentiment of “human factor.”

Cons

Recently, such an ambitious, and borderline frenetic, expansion has started taking toll on people working on all sides of the industry - especially freelancers and PMs. I’ve “passed” through numerous PMs, have built warm relations with many of them, all of whom shared their concerns about the overly demanding and underappreciated work atmosphere. Over the past year or so, the TPT rates have dropped to the point of...

Advice to Management

With the high-tech disruption of pretty much every aspect of our lives, the frenzy of automation will continue destabilizing the industry even deeper, so I cannot really see any potential for the management to calm down and stop bullying everyone into surrender. It's hopeless rather.

TransPerfect2018-07-10

"Very bad"

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect for more than a year

Pros

As an interpreter in new york, i had a very bad experience, the communication with the staff is very poor, they want you to work more hours than agreed then you don't get paid for it. Its a very poor managment

Cons

Low pay, you pay for your training, they send assignments then take it back while you already in the place , or send 2 interpreters to3 the same place. Horribale company

TransPerfect2018-07-13

"Four-dollar jobs competing with no-pay jobs"

Former Employee - Freelance Translator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect part-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Working experience as a freelance translator/proofreader

Cons

Don't know where to begin. Staff turnover is worse than that in McDo, new PMs trying to push rates even lower (leading to 4-dollar jobs worth only 4-letter words), new freelancers ready to work for 0.002 $/word and producing the translation which is worse than that produced by the machines. As mentioned above, the atmosphere in the company is toxic, as in 1-dollar shop with untidy and bad humored underpaid staff, loads...

Advice to Management

Close your 4-dollar shop, it is not interesting to anyone and not funny anymore.

TransPerfect2018-05-24
  9. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Translator

I have been working at TransPerfect for more than 2 years

Pros

The projects are very interesting.

Cons

They don't pay translators very much.

TransPerfect2018-03-13
  10. "Decent Job as Contract Translator"

Former Employee - Translator in New York, NY

I worked at TransPerfect for more than 2 years

Pros

Pay was quite good and overall work environment was friendly

Cons

Contract employees can be fired on a whim and there were many employees that were given very short notice terminations. This was part of the agreed upon contract however.

TransPerfect2018-03-08