TransUnion Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Pros
  • Great Work- life balance in Transunion (in 65 reviews)

• Great benefits, work life balance, work from home option (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • At times work-life balance can be challenging but at the end it pays off (in 21 reviews)

• It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company (in 16 reviews)

"Best thing next to Google"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is awesome they really do care about their employees and they make it a point to show you. Also there is lots of tenure in just about all the departments which says a lot

Cons

Because its a large corporate company a lot of times you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things done but its gets done

Mar 22, 2017 – Consultant

We love seeing your positive experience as a TransUnion associate! Thank you for finding time to write a review.

"Breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before TransUnion, I worked years at a company where I spent most of the time walking on eggshells. My superiors were fine leaders in terms of their own work, but little emphasis was placed on managing people. As a result, there were multiple instances in which individual contributors like me were made to look incompetent, either directly (not allowing us to innovate processes or be proactive) or indirectly (discouraging or making it difficult to ask questions, resulting in situations that could have easily been avoided). Being a recent grad at the time, I convinced myself to accept that this is how a professional job was supposed to be. My needs were being met--I got paid, I had medical insurance and even PTO!--so what if I went home crying more than a few times?

Coming to TransUnion was like walking out of a burning forest and realizing the world isn't supposed to be on fire. The thing that struck me first was the people. I am encouraged by my managers to ask questions and brainstorm ways to improve existing processes. Everyone is treated like they have something to offer, and ANY efforts to learn more or do more are greatly appreciated.

The benefits can be overwhelming. In addition to the usual corporate package (medical/life, PTO, 401K), there are matching gift donations to charities, discounts on services like gym memberships, an internal recognition system, and on-site events for personnel to participate in and enjoy. The Chicago office even has its own fitness center with weekly yoga & cardio classes. I've been here for almost two years and I'm STILL learning what all we offer.

Of course, it's impossible to enjoy any of the benefits without work-life balance. Good thing that is one of TransUnion's major strengths. We are discouraged from working overtime, and if we feel like we are losing that balance, the culture of communication makes it easy to talk to managers about it. There is still a bit of the "I'M working overtime but I'm going to chide YOU for working overtime" hypocrisy that I experienced at my old job, but here, it comes from a place of "we don't want you to burn out," not "stop costing us extra money."

My experience here has been incredibly refreshing so far. TransUnion is a great company that cares about its people. It's fair to say my past experiences certainly color my perception, but at least I can say so far TransUnion hasn't given me a reason not to trust and appreciate the company. I feel like I've struck gold.

Cons

Despite how close TransUnion comes to perfection, no workplace is perfect. When there is a particularly messy or tedious challenge in some core process, the teams who have stake in managing that process quickly become reluctant to own it. When it happens repeatedly, we lose role clarity and it makes everyone involved look bad. It's especially challenging for new people who are told "when X happens, ask Y" only for Y to push them off to Z. I do think it's getting better (attitudes are changing), but it still happens on occasion.

Advice to Management

Continue looking out for us and pushing that work-life balance, please! That helps us give our best.

Mar 22, 2017 – Consultant

It’s exciting to hear how passionate you are about working at TU! Thank you for sharing your experience.

"You will fare well only if you do not disagree with your management"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee is free, There are some good and intelligent people. If you are one of those people who likes to work 65-70 hrs. without any appreciation then you will love this place. There are some free breakfast and lunches that are offered from time to time. They pay for school but you guessed it right you will not have the time to study at all. They have a summer picnic if you have the time to take part. They are equal opportunity employers. Generally if you are not in the Global IT department you will do okay.

Cons

Upper management is completely disconnected from reality. They encourage making more with less but the IT department is far too skinny which results in people working more than 75 hrs/week. The IT CITO even is aware of this for a while but is unwilling to do anything about it. The biggest Con is that if you bring these problems to the IT AVP they force you out of the company. They have replaced good senior employees with offshore visa people with more plans to do the same. There is lack of support for merit based growth in this company but instead if you are part of the clique who follow orders ( right or wrong) you will fare well. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality. Ask why your people are working so many hours? Ask why your middle management does not bring this up to you? Ask why meeting dates is more important than quality? You will notice that most of your IT staff is unhappy because of this one individual only. How is that in this day and age you able to replace good people with offshore resources?

Mar 22, 2017 – Consultant

Your feedback is important to TU, so thank you for taking time to write a review. I’m sorry to read about your negative experience, but if you’re open to chatting more, please reach out to us at ... More

5. "IT support"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, lots of talent

Cons

incredibly diverse levels of technology with unclear integration

Advice to Management

create an atmosphere of more openness between groups and reporting structures. Too many organizational towers all re-creating a wheel. Lots of duplication of effort engendered by individual managers trying to build/maintain their area and appear relevant

"Bad place for Technology Jobs and strong performers"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. Lot of company sponsored events where there is free food and drinks. Flexible work from home policies and good PTO. If you happen to be in the right group, working for the right person, work can be interesting, exciting and challenging. This is not very common though. CEO is a pro sales person, so sales folks can definitely give it a shot. In some cases, having TU experience in the resume will make it attractive.

Cons

Career opportunities are very limited. As stated in other reviews, there is absolutely NO clarity on promotions. Mostly based on favoritism. There is NO recognition for going an extra mile or for doing something beyond the obvious. Compensation is below industry average (CR~0.75) and yearly raises are peanuts. Most people don't know spelling for the word MERIT ! Strong performers should stay away from TU, unless they want to chill and have a stable job. Technology being used is not the latest and most sought after in the industry.

Advice to Management

HR should do something meaningful for associates' career progression rather than saying "You are in-charge of your career" or setting up some random career sessions. Come up with processes/policies that would recognize associate contribution and discourage managers from being selfish. Favoritism should be curbed and it should be a level playing field for everyone. Also with a 0.75 Comp Ratio and a standard 2-2.5% raise, there is no way you are going to hire the brightest or cream of the crop.
    Top Management should STOP hiring their friends/relatives from previous work places ( HSBC, McKesson et al) unless the person is talented !
    Lastly, take some meaningful action on the feedback received from surveys and reviews posted in social media.

"Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great work life balance, have rarely needed to login after 5 PM and never on the weekends. Work is interesting for now, exposure to the latest tools and techniques. Friendly co-workers and great location just across union station

Cons

Unless you push, stagnation appears to be the norm, some people may be happy with it, but it wont suit me to do the same job for years altogether. Your experience is very likely going to be dependent on your personal relationships with your bosses and your own lobbying for growth. Need to be type A to be noticed. Alternatively, it's easy to be invisible - putting in 8 hours a day in a safe predictable environment.

Advice to Management

Career Planning - Don't make this a place where people go to retire

Feb 24, 2017 – Consultant

Thanks for sharing such great feedback! TU values your experience as an associate.

"Have enjoyed working for more than 2 years"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, relaxed environment for most part, good benefits, work life balance

Cons

Difficult to get promotion, leadership operates in a silo, no recognition for work, come in do your work and go,

Advice to Management

Focus more on building associates especially those that want to be successful and grow

Jan 18, 2017 – Sr Analyst

Thank you for 2+ years at TransUnion and for writing a review. TU takes pros and cons seriously. If you’d like, send an email to LifeAtTU@transunion.com to discuss more.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, great people. TransUnion has so much growth potential in the future. I have enjoyed working there.

Cons

Career development is a weakness at TransUnion. A lot of associates don't know where they can head to regarding next career move.

Jan 18, 2017 – Sr Analyst

Thank you for sharing your experience; TransUnion values your opinion. If you’d like to speak with someone about your review, please send us an email at LifeAtTU@transunion.com.

10. "Business Analyst Internship"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransUnion as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the program, very well grooming and learning in a educative environment. Hiring Process is fairly easy and very much doable and passable.

Cons

I can't seem to find any cons at Transunion. They are a great company and working under the guidance of extremely talented people.

Advice to Management

Enjoyed the opportunities and working with you'll was always a pleasure. All of the projects undertaken are industry and highest CMMI level oriented.

"Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work-life balance, great employees, benefits

Cons

TU is trying to comp bonus ineligible associates, but it would be great if more individual contributors were tied to revenue vs the discretionary bonus given by management. Also, promotions are sometimes classified as "lateral" moves. The global job framework was a good change for consistency, but we are still behind in acknowledging career development titles for individual contributors

Advice to Management

Rework the global job framework. It's now too basic and strands associates in roles with no growth. Owning your career is one thing, but give us something to strive for.