TransUnion Reviews | Glassdoor

TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better (in 28 reviews)

• Abusive languages are used by middle and senior management towards their counterparts (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive culture and amazing benefits"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending my early career at small and mid-size companies, I'm so appreciative of the kind of benefits a company the size of TransUnion can offer. Our health insurance covers virtually everything I need, I got 12 weeks of maternity leave fully paid, the 401k plan is great. They even offer pet insurance!

Beyond the benefits plan, I'm legitimately happy here. My colleagues are fun and respectful, my manager is supportive, I rarely work more than 40 hours, and I truly feel that my contributions are recognized and appreciated.

Cons

It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company. Certain processes like getting contracts signed or budget approvals are very formal and time consuming

TransUnion Response

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

We love seeing your positive experience as a TU associate - thank you for sharing a review! TransUnion values your opinion and takes feedback seriously.

"TU is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

TU is very committed to work-life-family balance and they have programs that support that (flex-time, part-time, work-at-home opportunities); every department provides many training opportunities for associates, not only in areas directly ties to their current positions, but related to their short and long term career goals; they have a great selection of health benefits with low employee premiums; they're located right across from Union Station for an easy downtown commute; they employ a casual dress code

Cons

Salaries not has high as other companies (but benefits may outweigh salary difference); employee job satisfaction varies among departments, depending on management team

Advice to Management

Too many internal realignments - they make sense, but employees are left with no sense of permanence or belonging to any given team or manager

"best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

This company both staff and management, work hard to make this a fantastic place to work. Great compensation, training, career growth. If someone has a good idea, its listened to. Developers on average stay at a company for less that two years. At eScan however, 3/4 of the progammers have been here 5+ years, the other 3 were new hires. This wouldn't be the case if the environment was bad or the work boring.

Cons

The work is fast paced. There isn't flex time. Parking isn't always easy. But that's being addressed.

Advice to Management

stay the course

4. "A very friendly place that cares about its employees."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid outside training, great benefits, fair salaries.

Cons

Sometimes can be very bureaucratic, as the company is very large.

"Getting better every day"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The new leadership team including the direction of the technology and infrastructure are making some great changes. I am starting to feel excited about the possibilities for the company and my personal job growth.

Cons

The old legacy processes, thinking and people who just don’t want to change. Come on now, either get on board or get off the bus.

Advice to Management

Need to review salary levels to ensure they are competitive and consider bonus structures.

"Progress, not perfection."

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are growing, evolving, becoming something more

Cons

We are growing, evolving, becoming something more

Advice to Management

Advice to management- endure.
    We are growing. They call it "growing pains" for a reason. Growth is painful. But it is also how we learn. It is a catalyst for change. And change is what we want. To be better, stronger, more dynamic, more innovative, more collaborative, more involved. This is bound to make people uncomfortable because human nature is to resist change. So I say, endure. Keep going.

People come to work because they need to make money. But they want that money so they have the FREEDOM to do what they want in life- pursue their dreams, go on vacation, send their kids to college, open a hobby business, pay for needed healthcare to save a life. Money gives us the freedom to do those things. Not everyone is independently wealthy, so credit in essence provides that freedom. Transunion and its peers are the William Wallace, the Braveheart, of our world. Giving people the freedom to pursue their dreams.

Jim Peck inherited a company that had sustained 5 years of constant change. He was left with a diamond in the rough and a company of associates who had been doing more with less for far too long. We have had 3 different owners in 5 years, changes in executive leadership, dealing with a difficult economy, major changes in government regulations. He came in and said "here is what I can improve and change NOW". Then looked at a long term plan of what we can change in the future. This takes time. Effort. Some fumbles and long nights but ultimately we are heading in the right direction.

Michael Jordan said it best "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

We can't be afraid to try to be something better, something more, than what we are today. We have a leader who wants to take us there and isn't afraid if we fall down on the journey. Just get back up, learn from it, and keep going. For this first time, in a long time, I feel like I am part of something great. Not something that will save the world, but something that will change the world and leave it a better place.

"Great place to work...I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company committed to growth and success
    Great work/life balance
    Friendly, supportive office environment
    Good compensation and benefits
    Downtown location, near public transportation
    Free, recently-remodeled fitness facility
    Frequent fun, team-building events (holiday parties, volunteer opportunities, picnics, etc.)

Cons

TransUnion is a large organization, with diverse lines of business that operates in multiple locations. Because of this, it can be challenging for the average employee to understand the "big picture" and efforts can be siloed. This is not unique to TransUnion, but rather something that occurs at most big companies.

"Review"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Excellent people with tremendous passion for work

Cons

reporting interferes with the ability to do real work.

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Wilmington, DE

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, great working environment, good pay.

Cons

Sometimes management can assign projects to the wrong people and have it affect numbers, but overall they are good. One bad manager doesn't make a bad company.

Advice to Management

Make sure quality analysis is actually random and not insert a problem call into a person's monthly quality assessment, make sure you promote the ones who are obviously trying hard to be an asset to the company and not just your friends.

"TUrnt down for what?"

Current Employee - Specialist I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-High Energy
    -Awesome people (tons of colleagues have become friends)
    -Crucial gym in the basement
    -Open floor layout
    -Tons of responsibility
    -Flexibility galore
    -There is always leftover food on our floor, pretty much only have to bring a lunch twice a week

Cons

-Sometimes unorganized
    -Need a clearer promotion path
    -Bonuses would be awesome

Advice to Management

Lay out a clearer path for promotion and keep hiring Chicago's best and brightest.