TransUnion Reviews | Glassdoor

TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better (in 30 reviews)

• It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive culture and amazing benefits"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending my early career at small and mid-size companies, I'm so appreciative of the kind of benefits a company the size of TransUnion can offer. Our health insurance covers virtually everything I need, I got 12 weeks of maternity leave fully paid, the 401k plan is great. They even offer pet insurance!

Beyond the benefits plan, I'm legitimately happy here. My colleagues are fun and respectful, my manager is supportive, I rarely work more than 40 hours, and I truly feel that my contributions are recognized and appreciated.

Cons

It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company. Certain processes like getting contracts signed or budget approvals are very formal and time consuming

TransUnion Response

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

We love seeing your positive experience as a TU associate - thank you for sharing a review! TransUnion values your opinion and takes feedback seriously.

"TransUnion LLC likes to think of itself as a solution provider but lacks the resources and personnel to do so."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

They offer plenty of PTO time and a decent benefits package.

Cons

There is tremendous price compression within the credit industry. TransUnion LLC rarely offers any new relevant solutions to it's customers and is not agile in creating new products. TransUnion LLC sales managers are under tremendous pressure to "sell solutions" but more than half of them do not even know that that means. They have spent the last several years resting on their laurels and now in a difficult economy they really need to sell something. Most major account executives enjoy just taking home their base salaries. They are losing several million dollar deals and they don't really care. Most major account executives have been with the company 10+ years and are afraid to go look for another job that actually pays good money primarily because most of them could not sell themselves out of a paper bag.

Advice to Management

Many of the middle managers are old school order takers and do not have the sales experience to sell solutions, which is what senior management is looking for. The new CEO, Bobby Mehta, has a great vision of where TransUnion LLC should be heading as a solutions provider. Unfortunately, they lack the IT resources and staff to create these solutions in a timely manner. When customers say they want something, you go back to product development and they tell you "we can't do that".

"TU is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

TU is very committed to work-life-family balance and they have programs that support that (flex-time, part-time, work-at-home opportunities); every department provides many training opportunities for associates, not only in areas directly ties to their current positions, but related to their short and long term career goals; they have a great selection of health benefits with low employee premiums; they're located right across from Union Station for an easy downtown commute; they employ a casual dress code

Cons

Salaries not has high as other companies (but benefits may outweigh salary difference); employee job satisfaction varies among departments, depending on management team

Advice to Management

Too many internal realignments - they make sense, but employees are left with no sense of permanence or belonging to any given team or manager

"Unsatisfied"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is great work life balance. The atmosphere is relaxed. Employees are respected. You get plenty of free time to do your own stuff. There is very less pressure from the upper management and very little accountability. So you are free to do or not do work. Your fellow employees are fabulous. Most of the team members are friendly and genuine. Even if they don't do a good job, they are fun to be around.

Cons

See the best reasons above. If you are a motivated individual, then many of the upside becomes downside as well. More over, there is little opportunity for growth. The employee morale is low.

Advice to Management

Try to built the best product. QA team desperately needs more people to perform their job.

"This job can be whatever you make of it"

Current Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The people at TU are the reason it is so hard for most employees to move on to new adventures. For the most part, it is a group of people you find yourself actually happy to be around and having this sort of environment quite often makes it not feel like work. As well, the work environment is laid back and while you do sometimes find days or weeks or rarely months where you're working 14 hour days, the majority of the time you are able to take your time and really understand the technology you're working with and choose the best path to tread on each project.

One last note is that for those willing to take it upon themselves, there is almost always room to grow, change, and move forward within the company. It may not always be easy, but it is certainly a place where there is something for everyone who wants to learn their chosen skills well and have the personal initiative to keep themselves moving forward on the path.

Cons

Upper management, while being good people who are there for us, are quite often viewed as leading us down an ill path. It's not so much that people view them as not having our best intentions at heart - they do; it's simply the fruitless goals and the number of attempts at creating solutions for problems which don't necessarily exist. A less often taken view, but probably the more correct one, is that in reality the poorly decided initiatives are pressure from the behemoth of TU Corporate upper management that push their ideas onto what employees at the subsidiaries think of as "our" upper management.

Advice to Management

Senior management is alien to us, both local senior management and Corporate. To offer feedback to local management, it would be to keep up the good work as they have been spending a lot of time trying to connect with the employees more recently and are slowly making headway.

"If you're looking for career growth and career planning--keep looking."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for TransUnion would be if you like and excel at a very structured work week. People generally get in around 8:30 AM and leave the office around 4:30 PM. Its changed a bit more since 2006, and in 2007 they went through big layoffs. The first time in the history of the company.

The company offered decent benefits and they offered a nice profit sharing contribution to the 401(k) fund. Though its not a pension, it was a benefit that can help you save faster for your retirement. The health and vision benefits were okay as well. Pretty standard.

Cons

There are no services for career planning or advancement.

Advice to Management

Get a department that can career place and track people into senior management to make a difference in the organization.

"If you want a life outside of work then look elsewhere!"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Personalities of the majority of the employees are pleasant and approachable. TransUnion will send you to training if it will benefit you in terms of perfoming your job. Also, they will reimburse you for college tuition.

Cons

Job uncertainty is a major issue. This company can be too demanding of personal time for work purposes without any form of compensation. Comp time is promised but when working 15+ hours over in a regular work week and the entire weekend, a Monday off is not acceptable. Teams have unreasonable project time frames and less experienced Managers. In the event issues arise within Production environments, Teams are quick to "Point the finger" at each other to escape blame.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when generating new clients and imposing strict time frames on Teams developing the infrastructure.

8. "Keep looking elsewhere"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Crum Lynne, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Crum Lynne, PA

Pros

The benifits were pretty good. They 401K match was good also. Security is good outside of the building, but once inside this so called secured Credit Information is not so secure as camera phones are allowed on the floor.

Cons

Very unequal pay rate. Person who came in after me made $8000 more in the same position and did less work, our backgrounds were pretty equal. You will not get any day around a holiday off, those are awarded to ones with senoirity, not the ones who actually work hard and deserve it. You are not recognized for a job well done. There is blatent harassment, both sexual and racial happening in the office. The HR dept is the most unresposive group I have ever encountered and they will give you false hopes when you do interview.

Advice to Management

Stop being such good friends with your employees. Your not able to see how truely unreliable and uneducated these people are.

"Competitive salary but no space for growth."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

Pros

The relaxed enviroment and competitive salary make most of the time working actually nice. Specially because getting the job done right and on time is more important than strict adherence to working hours.

The people here are friendly and hardworking, are willing to help and don't start pointing fingers when things go wrong. At least, within IT. Other departments can sometimes behave differently, but are usually of like mind.

Cons

There's a severe lack of communication between management and employees. There's little to no vision, and less real desire and effort for improvement. Most of the time is spent putting out fires. There are strong and clear cases of favoritism, specially evident when things go wrong in interdepartmental relationships. Not to mention that career and personal growth are almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Drop the favoritism and look at the real root causes of issues. Listen to employee suggestions for improvement. Realize that improvement requires investment in time and money.

"Great company for people that don't like change and want job security"

Former Employee - Insurance Product Development in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Product Development in Chicago, IL

Pros

The work is very low pressure. Relaxed people. Good benefits. Steady company -- credit reports are not going out of business anytime soon.. It is owned by a prominent Chicago family who comes from many years of money so there won't be funding problems. We were provided with lunch occasionally. The people that work there are very relaxed. It's typical to stop by the coffee break room and chat with someone for 20min before going back to work. My managers at least (and I think the company as a whole is like that) did not micro manage me and just let me do my own work.

Cons

Typical corporate cube atmosphere. Did not feel that the people were very motivated. 5pm and I literally heard the pens drop. If you stay until 5:20pm, the cleaner will start sweeping under your feet. The training was very short. Quite a bit security as the credit reports are private information. It did not seem that there was a great amount of career progression or at least as rapid as I would have wanted. Not a good place for young, fresh out of college as it pretty much kills your dreams and aspirations. Good for the sububanites with kids. Steady job, Decent pay check.

Advice to Management

Nothing really. The job was intersting enough. Great company for people that seek a steady job and a steady life.. I'm not one of them, but you might be.