Transcendent Endeavors Reviews | Glassdoor

1.7
Transcendent Endeavors President William Z. Tan
William Z. Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Plenty of opportunity to grow and develop."

I worked at Transcendent Endeavors full-time

Pros

Excellent work ethics. Work-life balance is great.

team is very skillful and has a lot of potential

Cons

Can't think of anything worth mentioning

"Great people pulled into a very unfortunate situation."

Pros

As everyone has said, the people that CEO (and I use that term loosely) Bill Tan has managed to pull into his web is impressive. Everyone has a set of skills that a employer would be lucky to embrace, yet Bill fails to do so. Having offices in WeWork is a plus, and the flexibility and benefits aren't half bad - not good enough to stick around though.

Cons

Bill claims to be an expert in building digital products that "benefit undeserved populations." This could not be further from the truth. Let me outline a more precise set of skills he embodies:
    1. Wasting people's time: he is definitely an expert in this; holds countless meetings that have no purpose, result in zero actionable to-dos, and often go on for so long that everyone ends up sitting in complete silence. He will act perplexed as to why no work is being accomplished, but the truth is nobody can get work done when they're pulled into four or five, two hour meetings per day regardless if the topic is relevant to you and your job.
    2. Working in circles: without any rhyme or reason, Bill will change his mind about anything and everything. This truly depends on no logic whatsoever, and he does not care if said direction has been tried (and failed) in the past, he will insist on trying anyway and making his employees do the unnecessary work. Don't even try to bring logic into it, or bring up that it has been tried in the past - he will try to make you feel stupid.
    3. Giving no direction and being vague: prepare yourself for the most generic descriptions and directions, which he uses as a tactic to ensure no blame is placed on him. He expects people to be able to decipher his very abstract ideas and make something out of nothing, and believes people are mind readers. He will then proceed to throw a fit when people fail to make sense out of the complete and utter nonsense he spits out.
    4. Frauding the NIH: I won't go into great detail about this, but Bill, if you're reading this (which I'm sure you pine over these reviews), give it up. Be honest with yourself, your employees, and the government and stop accepting money.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending like you know everything and are the expert on all topics, you're not. You hire people with unique skills for a reason, LET THEM DO THEIR JOB. Or better yet, return all of the money you're wrongly using and find another hobby.

"The best talent for the worst CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Transcendent Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like it was stated by others: some of the best co-workers one could hope for

Cons

Just go ahead and read every negative review that was posted here, it's really hard to top(bottom) them, but here goes:

Bill Tan is a useless megalomaniac. The only three skills he has ever mastered are: 1. Milking the government (wake up NIH!) 2. Stringing together terms, buzzwords and random words, all framed in a pseudo-academic tone while being utter nonsense. 3. Sucking the energy and will power from all who around him.

Bill Tan's sexist attitude toward women borderlines harassment at times. His capricious change of opinion - about any subject - feels like on some monthly cycle.

Bill tan misappropriated government funds while maintaining a lavish lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Return the grant funds to the government and beg them for forgiveness.

"Awful leadership, good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Transcendent Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues, all stuck in this awful place, each for their own specific reasons. They all are looking for other jobs and will leave the moment it's possible.

Cons

CEO is delusional, awful human being. Firing and hiring people all the time, never clear about his demands, backtracks to failed products. Just for fun, ask people there to explain to you what "CGP" is.

Advice to Management

Find a new hobby.

"Great team, awful leader"

I have been working at Transcendent Endeavors full-time

Pros

Just as others have commented: a superb team. In spite of Bill Tan's abominable reputation, the company still recruits great people. Likely bc of the mission and social focus.

Cons

Just as others have commented: Bill Tan is abusive toward employees, has squandered an immense amount of grant money, constantly misrepresents his accomplishments and lacks even a remote grasp of business and technology.

He purports a commitment to social impact, which is a total ruse. In actuality, he is in the business of exploiting NIH grants to maintain his own little fiefdom (the company and team) which he uses to act out his warped Steve Jobsian complex. Much of the team's time is spent trapped in "whiteboard sessions" with Bill rambling on incoherently, cobbling together empty buzzwords as he loses himself in fantasies of his own TED talk. And that is the end-all for Bill. It is about creating an environment for self-aggrandizement.

He sees himself as a grand innovator, but surely it is no coincidence that every person to have ever worked with him universally agrees he is an inept tyrant.

Advice to Management

Stop. Remove yourself. Things will catch up to you sooner or later.

"Listen to your gut and those who came before you"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Transcendent Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like many of the other reviewers, I share in the sentiment that working at LanguageMate (now Transcendent Endeavors) connected me with some of the smartest, hardest working people I've had the good fortune to come across. I walked away from this experience with some great friends.

Cons

I don't have anything to write in this Cons section that has not been mentioned before. I am in full agreement with every negative post. Like many of my predecessors, I urge you to consider these reviews. I know you might be eager to accept a job offer (anyone would be) but before you do, please ask yourself: Is it rational to assume that THIS TIME will be different than all the experiences of the previous 10 years? Remember, time is all we have and you don't want to waste any of it working for Bill Tan at this company.

Advice to Management

You know what you are doing is wrong, on many levels. This charade cannot continue forever. Schemes like this never do. You should prepare yourself for when your luck runs out.

"Just don't."

I worked at Transcendent Endeavors full-time

Pros

For some reason, the company attracts the best people to work for them - those people become quickly disillusioned.

Cons

From unprofessional management to dishonesty, this company does all the things you're not supposed to do. It's amazing that they're still in business. The NIH needs to wake up and smell the coffee - no products are actually built and followed through on. The company no longer has a tech team. Save yourself the trouble and do not interview or accept any offers from this company - it's not legitimate.

"Keep away"

I have been working at Transcendent Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented smart co-workers, great camaraderie

Cons

All of the issues in the company stem from a single source: Bill Tan, the owner and CEO. It’s not simple to summarize the CEO’s inept statements, horrible decisions, management style (or lack of), dishonesty and insanity in a single post. The best way to go about is reading the past glass door reviews that were posted over the years. They are all true and sadly nothing has changed. The CEO is a delusional tyrant who made a career pretending to be smarter than he really is. It used to work for some of the time with some government officials who are disconnected from the industry and were tricked to grant him funding for his ideas. However it is all smoke and mirrors, the CEO has no qualifications or any clue how to build a business, or how to keep it.

Advice to Management

Where “management” equates the CEO: it’s high time you shut down the circus called Transcendent Endeavors and move on to redeem yourself

"Sad to see, but a great experience"

Former Employee - Back End Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Back End Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Transcendent Endeavors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, super smart, and so much opportunity for mentorship. The teams worked very well together and were incredibly well organized. Brian Engler did an excellent job leading Engineering.

Cons

The C-suite was dishonest. Weekly meetings were held to help keep us all informed of company status and feel bought in. Week after week we heard cheerleading and how great things were and how much government funding we were about to get. None of that funding materialized and a whole floor's worth of people were laid off. That began a mass exodus of those who survived the layoff.

Advice to Management

Transparency, not transparency theater

"Delusional CEO"

Pros

Like other reviewers, I made some great friends in the trenches of LM but the insufferable leadership had me running for the hills.

Cons

With no concept of real-world research methods or product development, the CEO severely hindered the success of this company.