KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of TranscribeMe and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Make a few extra dollars

Aug 26, 2021 - Freelance Transcriptionist in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ideal as a side gig if you want to make a few extra dollars per month. Flexible hours, work when you want to. To remain active in their system, you only need to transcribe one short file per month. When available, there are good opportunities to qualify for special teams projects that pay at a higher rate per audio hour. They have a helpful and supportive TranscribeMe message board community.

Cons

You're paid by the audio hour, not number of hours worked, so you're not bringing in a lot of money. Not always work available. QA edits aren't always consistent.

2. 3.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Great Team, Little Pay

Dec 8, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team is really nice and helpful all day long. They never make you feel bad for not knowing something and asking.

Cons

The pay, even for a very experienced transcriptionist, is very low. You have to test up into special teams or QA before you have a steady flow of work. Work is uploaded a couple of times during the day and it goes quick! I know some of the new people have posted on our Yammer board that they have been there a couple of weeks and have yet to find a job to do! You can test up to QA where you have all the work you want, but the timestamping can take so long that you will be lucky to make $1/hr. No I didn't leave out a second number!

3. 4.0
    Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

It was decent, could do better

Dec 19, 2021 - Freelance Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay Decent operations of assignment & grading workflow

Cons

Very little tasks, could do better with distributing work

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Work from Home Job

Oct 18, 2021 - General Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work from home job.

Cons

Did not make as much money as hoped working part-time. Sometimes passing the transcription exam to stay current had some trick questions that were hard to pass (harder than what you would usually encounter doing transcription work!). They should let you keep taking the exam an unlimited amount of times until you pass.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Low Pay, Bad for Mental Health

Jul 2, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you have 10-12 hours a day to give to transcription, you might make a decent living.

Cons

My experience has made my mental health worse. My therapist agrees that this is a toxic company. The pay is awful. Transcriptionists do the hardest work but only receive a fraction of what's brought in for a job. (On a good day, I make roughly 28% of what a client pays for the service.) I do not make a living wage. The staff (TMs) are rude on Yammer. If you have an opinion they disagree with, they will gang up on you about it. Several members agree that toxic positivity is practiced. If you're not praising the company, they don't want to hear it. Review policies have no rhyme or reason. It could take a week; could take a month. No one will communicate anything about this to you, even if you ask questions. I never walk away from a day of transcribing without feeling depressed and angry with myself, that I've given so much time to this company for so little in return.

10 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

If you have spare time...

Jul 9, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-onboarding is easy with clear instructions and a community help site -you choose how much time you put into it -you can work from anywhere

Cons

-pay is extremely low per hour - $25/AUDIO hour translates to roughly somewhere around $5 per hour -if you aren't detail-oriented or a fairly good typist, try something else -some files take quite a bit longer to transcribe, some less

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Don’t waste your time.

Mar 31, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I did not see any pros to this work.

Cons

No work available. Unpaid training. Extremely low pay- possibly forty cents an hour. Unless all you have is time and you want to put hours and hours into unpaid training. Once you pass their tests (which take hours to complete and hours to study for) then you are approved for paid work. But get this, they only pay you by the audio hour not per hour. You need to successfully transcribe and hour of audio file before you can even get paid. They say when you first start out one minute of audio file can take up to 60 minutes to transcribe! You do the math. Once I spent hours learning their style guides and I was ready to work, there was no work available. After checking back several times over a course of a week and there was still no work, I realized what a huge waste of time this was. Because if there was going to be any work, I’d have to re-learn the style guides again so that it would stay fresh in my mind. Because if your transcription is rejected, you don’t get paid at all! Crazy.

Recruitment Coordinator

I'm sorry you feel that TranscribeMe is a waste of time. Transcription is not as easy as many people believe, even though it sounds simple at first. Industry standard is that it takes 4 - 6 minutes to transcribe 1 minute of audio, but this is largely for experienced transcriptionists with clear audio and not too many speakers. When first starting out, it is very common to take longer than that, especially if the person has no previous transcription experience at all. Work is available on our platform on a first come, first serve basis for transcriptionists. Opening and closing the work hub will put you at the back of the line each time you do so. Also, work becomes available when clients upload their files, which is something we have no control over. General pool (entry level) transcriptions pay less than our other teams because it's where people get the chance to practice the CV style guide and receive feedback from the QA team before they can move on to better paying teams. In your particular case, please remember that you can ask questions on our internal communications platform about any and all of this if you're unsure about something or just want to ask other people about their opinions and experience.

8. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 3 years

Great First Transcription Job

May 28, 2021 - Freelance Transcriptionist in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They have a clear rule book to follow in transcribing. When I started with TranscribeMe, they still have audio chunks that’s less than 20 seconds. It helped a lot in developing my capacity to transcribe from short files to long files. Also, the admins there are so helpful.

Cons

They only pay through Pay Pal.

1 person found this review helpful

Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for your comments!

9. 1.0
    Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Not worth it

Sep 11, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not really any pros of giving them your time

Cons

The advertised $20 per hour is basically impossible to achieve

10. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Great place for a side hustle

Mar 26, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

positive work environment, great community, fairly consistent work, work when you want or can

Cons

no benefits, sometimes no work when you're available

Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for your comments!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 118 Reviews