TranscribeMe Transcriptionist Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2021

3.4
TranscribeMe CEO Yuri Pikover
Yuri Pikover
  1. "Great freelance opportunity if you're motivated and need the extra money"

Current Freelancer - TME/QA/Transcriptionist

I have been working at TranscribeMe for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, lots of work available once you pass exams

Cons

Time consuming for little pay, really only advantageous where cost of living is cheaper than US

January 11, 2021Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for your review! Yes, at the beginning the pay rate is low, but it improves as you move up and join other teams and special projects. Experience also helps people to become more efficient in the work as you have probably seen as a QA.

2. "Great place for beginners"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Medical Transcriptionist/QA

I worked at TranscribeMe

Pros

Can work whenever you want

Cons

Low pay and poor audio at times

"Flex work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Amsterdam, NJ

I worked at TranscribeMe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great flexibility, Self managed, Ideal for a digital nomad

Cons

Nothing. The flexibility is great

October 12, 2020Recruitment Coordinator

Thanks for your opinion! We appreciate that you took the time to post this review. Thank you!

"Convenient, not enough jobs"

Current Employee - Transcriptionist

I have been working at TranscribeMe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can work whenever is convenient for you, easy to apply, good support system from other transcriptionists

Cons

Pay is horrible until you get good at it, not enough jobs so even if you want to be working you might not be able to

October 12, 2020Recruitment Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. Remember that as a company TM depends on our clients to upload the files they want transcribed. TM has no control over when or how often they do that, so the workload will always be variable. At the beginning you're learning new skills and learning how to follow the style guide correctly on your files, so it's more like paid training. The pay rate increases once you've demonstrated (by taking an passing exams so you can move on to other teams) that you know how to apply the guide correctly and that you have a certain level of accuracy. Some people move on to other teams faster than others. It depends on how much time and effort each individual wants to put into it.

5. "Rat race"

2.0
    Former Freelancer - Transcriptionist/QA in Chicago, IL

I worked at TranscribeMe for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, and that's pretty much it.

Cons

You essentially work for free till you can QA and then work for next to free.

6. COVID-19

"A Truly Professional Company"

Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist in New York, NY

I have been working at TranscribeMe for less than a year

Pros

On-time pay, highly qualified Quality Assurance personnel review files fairly and consistently, excellent online support network, opportunities to advance, testing requirements to advance are stringent which I appreciate, transcribers are treated well and encouraged to advance. Interesting transcription jobs of university lectures, corporate meetings, podcasts, journalistic interviews, etc.

Cons

Due to the pandemic, work is scarce at the moment.

June 13, 2020Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you so much for your comments! Yes, work had been slow for a few months, but that's normal under the circumstances. The good thing is that the workload looks to be picking up again now that businesses have started to adjust to the "new normal." If ever you want to suggest something, please let us know here or internally through Yammer. Your feedback is extremely important to us.

"Terrible Exams"

1.0
    Former Freelancer - Transcriptionist

I worked at TranscribeMe for less than a year

Pros

The pay could've been somewhat decent.

Cons

The exams are incredibly terrible. When taking them my LOWEST accuracy was 96%. My other two scores were 97% and 98%. I missed NONE of the multiple-choice questions yet their terrible algorithm said I failed. Other people have passed with their best score only being 88%. Do not work for this company, there are much better choices out there.

July 3, 2020Recruitment Coordinator

Being frustrated with the exams is understandable. While passing scores for the English Entrance Exam have historically been lower, they are currently set intentionally in the high 90s to make sure that people understand and can accurately apply what's in the style guide. Each and every question must be passed in order for applicants to pass the test. If you fail one question / sample transcription, you will not pass. However, there is a retry available for each section, and if that doesn't work, you can attempt the exam one more time (with an additional retry for each section). The scores you posted for two of the transcriptions sound like passing scores, so you're very incredibly close to passing the test. Go over the style guide again, and you'll likely ace it. Best of luck to you.

"I love TranscribeMe!"

Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist

I have been working at TranscribeMe for less than a year

Pros

Great community spirit. Everyone works together to help one another. The files are enjoyable. You are able to see your progress and able to advance by taking exams. You can work as much or as little as you like, when you like.

Cons

I have found no cons.

"I Love TM!"

Current Contractor - Transcriptionist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at TranscribeMe for less than a year

Pros

I started with TranscribeMe a year ago and was honestly very leary of it, mainly because of a very bad experience I had recently had with another online transcription company. However, I saw right away that this company was not only very legit, but also very community-minded, user-friendly, and very community oriented. I divide my time between a part-time job away from home and transcribing and it fits my needs perfectly. I have also learned a lot from the various files I've been able to transcribe which is a neat benefit. So thankful to have found TM!

Cons

The only real downside to it is just that it does take some time to figure it all out and get established. You have to take exams to advance and get on specialty teams to make more money. That process can get very frustrating, especially if you are looking for this to be a full-time job. But it is definitely worth persevering through!

10. "Amazing Employee Support"

Current Contractor - Transcriptionist

I have been working at TranscribeMe for more than 3 years

Pros

Great support Work always available Variety of incentives

Cons

The pay is low; however, if you pass accent exams and are accepted onto different teams, your pay rate will increase.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 80 English Reviews