TransferWise Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.8
Taavet Hinrikus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Start up company, possibility for advancement, Great work environment, possibility to work from home after 5 months (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to work - great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in vertical autonomous teams might not be the typical setup a PM is used to (in 4 reviews)

• We are growing fast and that can mean some things have been overlooked (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenge, opportunity, great people, great mission.

Cons

Always busy, hard to switch off, this is by choice though!

Advice to Management

Stay on this path, great leadership

"Best job you will ever have."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Team Lead in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Team Lead in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, company perks, a lot of travel opportunities and to learn new things.

Cons

Demanding job, super fast pace, ever changing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Best company"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Awesome people, great opportunities, trust and a lot of fun

Cons

Nothing really. I've been working there for 7 months now and I love it

"Amazing company to work for!"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TransferWise embraces diversity and uniqueness. This is not your typical corporate environment, so don't expect that. The first place that I have ever worked where Teamwork is not just a word...it is a reality. Not only does the company listen to the ideas of customers and employees....they implement them when it will make a positive change.

Cons

Being a global company with offices in different countries, clear communication can sometimes be challenging. But...if you are proactive and seek out what you need...there is always someone to help you!

Advice to Management

We are so lucky to have the opportunity to visit and work in other offices. It is incredible, and helps us grow, adapt, and become more knowledgeable. This allows us to give even better service to our customers. Keep up the great job you are doing with this program!

"Verifications Specialist"

Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at TransferWise (Less than a year)

Pros

Trips twice a year for summer and winter days
    Health benefits: low cost/free

Cons

Low salary in the U.S due to lack of research for employees within the U.S
    There seems to be a lot of favortitism with employees in Estonia
    Micro-management/spying on employees
    Unable to receive constructive criticism senior management & subordinate, primarily in Estonia
    Lack of knowledge/experience, training within this field
    Plenty of miscommunication with its Tampa office in regards to updates on procedures
    Treat Tampa employees as clueless employees
    Having to conduct our own research in order to ask for a raise and never be given one, after multiple attempts
    Compliance team on-boarding clients despite the questionable activity conducted by business/individual
    With its current AML/EDD procedures in place, company is prone to on-board clients that are might be conducting illegal activities
    Compliance department (Chargeback, Verifications, AML/EDD, Fraud) are perceived not as important roles as Customer Service.
    Empty promises

Tampa Salaries:
    C.S - $14 per hr, but after a year receive a $2.00 increase hourly
    Verifications aka On-boarding KYC/AML- $17 per hour
    Ops: $20 per hour but after a year, you also receive a $2.00 increase hourly

The only department that has asked for a raised, provided documentation as reason for the raise multiple times and has yet to receive an actual raise is Verfications.

"Join the revolution in Tampa"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

A culture that promotes doing what is right for the customer, being a revolutionary, and no drama
    Easy going atmosphere.
    Getting the chance to meet and work with a diverse group of people from many different cultural backgrounds
    Travel, fun, and team lunches

Cons

Working on improving communication with co-workers in the offices overseas.

"Great company, lovely people"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start up company, possibility for advancement, Great work environment, possibility to work from home after 5 months. Great co workers. Possibility to travel to offices in Europe.

Cons

Foreign company not fully aware of customer service in the States. No clear leadership.

"The last company you will ever work for!"

Current Employee - Customer Support Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Support Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantasitc "start-up" company culture.
    Great training and on the job support. If you don't know something, lots of resources to check or management is always willing to help and be supportive! Flexible with scheduling. Company paid team building events to foster "togetherness" great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

You have to step up your personal fitness routine to not get fat due to your awesome co-workers baking and bringing in food all the time!

Advice to Management

Keep up the "start up vibe" don't ever let TransferWise ever become, "just another office job"...but I can't imagine that ever happening

"Smart and Innovative"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TransferWise is all about being creative. There are a hundred different ways to get to the solution of a problem and you can take whatever avenue you'd like. They thrive on change and you are able to be yourself within this organization.

There are countless perks to being an employee here and it is the first company I've worked for that values their employees. They ask for feedback, embrace diversity, and are open to ideas from anyone.

TransferWise is new in the USA but it is growing in numbers very quickly in Tampa, FL. The opportunities in Tampa will grow as the company does. There is no stopping ground for what you want to do.

This organization is the opposite of corporate America. I love the transparency of information "we have nothing to hide".

If you want to enjoy going to work everyday and feel that what you do matters, join this revolution.

Cons

If you can't handle change, this isn't a company for you.

While the rate of pay is below the average for this position in the states, the perks of being an employee make up for it :-)

Advice to Management

My advice would be that management should be more selective in hiring. The opportunity to work this company should be valued. I've seen some situations first hand where employees take advantage of the perks that are are given. This company is unlike any organization in the states and it should be treated with respect and care. It is a privilege to work for TranfserWise and there are some employees who don't see the value of what they are given and take advantage of this opportunity.

"Awesome high-growth international fin-tech payments company"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fast paced flat organization. There is no hierarchy. You will own and be have full responsibility to deliver on projects. Super customer-focused. Growing like crazy. Offices in London, Tallinn, NYC.

Cons

Growing like crazy. Lots of responsibility to own and deliver on projects. Lots of interaction between the three offices so there is some burden to fly internationally every quarter and join internal video hangouts frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep the lights on and continue to let the teams do their work. Management should continue provide guidance on the direction of the company and the most important goals, and the teams will figure out how to achieve them.