TransferWise "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor

TransferWise Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jan 13, 2020

4.5
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "Fast paced work environment teaches skills that may otherwise take much longer(in 47 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Communication overhead due to autonomous teams(in 27 reviews)

• "Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Amazing mission and culture, with some growing pains"

Current Employee - KYC in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TransferWise has an amazing company culture, great work-like balance, and is driven by diverse people from all over the world that really believe in its mission and values. A company founded to challenge the old way of doing things and put power back in the customer's hands. The mission to make sending money abroad convenient, transparent, and eventually free is what makes this a truly amazing place to work. I'm challenged to be my best every day, surrounded by some really smart, creative and inspiring people. I've worked on some really cool projects and felt supported to grow in my career. I also have a great degree of autonomy in what I choose to work on and how I do it, and I get constructive feedback on how I can improve. People in the Tampa office are very customer-focused and hard working. Engineering is shorthanded in many teams, but improving slowly, and product teams work very hard to understand customer problems and make an impact. People here are incredibly diverse; I've met people from all over the world and so many different backgrounds. Benefits are unparalled - work from home, team lunches, paid sabbatical, generous vacation time, annual company-wide trip to Europe, and stock options.

Cons

Some growing pains that are typical for a company that is growing so quickly and is not really a startup anymore. We could be scaling quite a bit more efficiently. We do support career growth and development, but we could be better at this. In certain offices it is better than others; Tampa has always struggled as being the lone office without engineering support and this will continue to be a challenge as we grow. Lots of change recently as we grow quicker than we seem to be able to handle. Some questionable decisions made by management. People are often undervalued for their hard work, in some cases wrongly let go. In Tampa in particular, it is easy to become boxed in to your current role or team. Salaries are below average and do not increase to keep up with inflation. This is a company-wide issue that has not really improved since I started here, though some efforts have been made to make them more fair. If you want to make a lot of money, go work for a bank. If you want to work in a healthy environment and have a great work-life balance and salary is not important to you, then you will fit in here.

TransferWise2019-09-20
  2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, great benefits, good environment, love the work life balance,

Cons

Culture seems to be changing? I hope it stays how it is.

TransferWise2019-09-20
  3. "The most amazing job I've had in my lifetime!"

Current Employee - Social Media Support in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture - I work with people from all around the world on a daily basis. Everyone is working on a common mission. There is a level of trust that I haven't ever had at another job. Autonomy - You're treated as a valued member of the team, but also given independent space. You're also responsible for your own success and growth, but you have resources to help with this as well. Opportunity - So many opportunities, from advancement in the company, to travel opportunities, to the opportunity to create your own projects, work from home, etc.

Cons

I don't really have any cons. TransferWise may not be for everyone though. Especially those who are used to a very structured or corporate environment. There are teams, tribes, and organization, but you're responsible for yourself as an individual. If you're not used to this, or used to being micro-managed, you might not enjoy the environment here.

TransferWise2019-09-20

"Great company with loads of opportunities"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked for TransferWise for a year and so far my experience has been amazing. The people who come here from other corporate jobs know how lucky they are to have found TransferWise. It’s unlike any other company in the Tampa area. The office is beautiful and there are plenty of drinks, snacks, and coffee provided daily. We have weekly team lunches on Thursdays. You can bring your dog to work any time you like. It’s just a really cool place to come to everyday. We have the flexibility to work from home but many people enjoy coming into the office because it really does have a good vibe to it. We just enjoy being around each other. The benefits are amazing. Lots of PTO, company stock, 401k, sick time off, and on and on. They really do take care of you and the out of pocket costs are minimal as compared to the benefits I’ve had from other jobs. There is a lot of opportunity for growth if you want it. People who are driven and self-motivated will succeed. If you need a lot of hand-holding - or being told what to do - this is probably not the place for you. Leads will help point you in the right direction to help you achieve your goals, and if you work hard you can be promoted pretty quickly. There’s flexibility to create your own role. The company is growing fast so new positions are popping up all the time.

Cons

There is a lot of competition for roles, and many roles are filled externally rather than hiring from within. There is a need for better training of associates who wish to develop their skills and talents. There seems to be a lot more travel opportunities for the foreign offices and not so much for Tampa unless you are a lead. Even then there isn’t much travel. More often it’s that’s people from the other offices are visiting us. Autonomous teams means that communication between product and operational teams is strained. It’s getting a lot better and everyone agrees we can work on this, but there is still a bit of a divide. Pay is not great. It’s hard to get top talent if you aren’t willing to pay for it.

TransferWise2019-07-17

"Doesn’t pay"

Former Employee - KYC Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dental & health Benefits, work from home (limited).

Cons

Pay is comparable to customer service, competitors pay almost double.

TransferWise2017-12-01

"Great company, lovely people"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Start up company, possibility for advancement, Great work environment, possibility to work from home after 5 months. Great co workers. Possibility to travel to offices in Europe.

Cons

Foreign company not fully aware of customer service in the States. No clear leadership.

TransferWise2016-05-20
  7. "Fantastic company to work for!"

Current Employee - Reward Specialist in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Autonomous teams; means you can get stuff done, quick! Quarterly planning ; so you know what is happening and kept up to speed Fantastic benefits - work from home, flexible working, events, lunch, travel! Growise every 6 months to make sure your career is moving in the direction you wish. Intelligent, warm and friendly people to work with

Cons

I've been here for 6 months and have enjoyed everything about working here.

TransferWise2020-01-13
  8. "Plenty of opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Breakfast in the mornings (cereal, toast, avocadoes), free soda/coffee throughout the day. Team lunch ordered in on Fridays and open bar with beer/wine on Friday evenings. Plenty of events organized such as speakers, yoga sessions, comedy nights, Halloween/Christmas party, summer days are great.. If you want to take on more responsibility, you won't be stopped. Very open culture, people are friendly. Strong feedback culture, people will tell you if you're doing something wrong which is great for personal development. They will also tell you if you're doing something right. Not hierarchical at all (which isn't ALWAYS a positive when you need someone to do something for you..). Liberal work from home allowance. People team cares about the employees. Nobody checks what time you're in/out of the office. People are keen on you not working too much, very healthy approach to work-life balance.

Cons

Mid-level compensation. Analyst career progression is very unclear. Analyst compensation motivation is very unclear. TransferWise analytics are not particularly rigorous, do not expect to develop more intense data science/stats skills on the job.

TransferWise2019-12-18
  9. "Fast paced fintech company"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great office environment - supportive colleagues - dogs in the office - awesome mission - flexible working hours - opportunity to work from home - lots of events and hobby groups - career opportunities and opportunities to show your talent

Cons

- danger of burning out - slowly getting more corporate (inevitable considering the size and it’s growth) - salary should be higher considering the responsibility what info is provided to customers (but it’s arguable as you get stock options. So it’s your own call what you value more)

TransferWise2019-12-03
  10. "How it is to work at TransferWise"

Current Employee - Fraud Agent in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

The biggest pros are the independence and trust you get from day one as well as the possibility to work from home. On the second place comes the overall company culture, it's open and honest, and you can always ask.

Cons

It's not isolated to TransferWise per se but the Start-Up going large world. You need to be aware of that your manager will not tell you what to do. You need to be self driven and you need to ask, don't assume.

TransferWise2019-09-18

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 15 reviews