Travel Guard International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dean Sivley

1. "Great Employer!"

Pros

This company was wonderful to work for. I started in the Resource Pool/World Service center and transferred to the Claims Department within a year of working there. They definitely promote from within and there is a lot of opportunity!

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this employer.

2. "Very Satisfied"

Current Employee - Medical Assistance Coordinator in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Medical Assistance Coordinator in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Travel Guard International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

6% 401K match which starts immediately, 11 weeks Paid Maternity AND paternity Leave, extensive benefits like charity match, company discounts, commuter discounts, decent health coverage with HSA account provided for high deductible plans. HSA contribution of 500 for individuals and 1000 for families. Life insurance provided plus supplemental insurance available. FSA are available as well.

Cons

Little Work/Family separation, work often runs over or requires overtime at last minutes notice. Dental insurance is sub-par with limited providers. Only two medical insurance plans are offered at this time

3. "Good benefits, nice starter job"

Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Travel Guard International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great insurance options and pto package. Match up to 6% of what you put in your 401k.

Cons

This position is not paid nearly enough for what we do. I am practically chained to my desk for 10 hours each day with no lunch and only two 15 minute breaks to get away from my phone. Employees are penalized for any time away from desk, effecting how much we can receive as incentives.
    Our "commission" is usually less than 1% of what we sell. Which adds up to next to nothing compared to what the company pays outside travel agents who sell our insurance. The problem with that is that we end up doing a lot of the work for the travel agents and they then get most of the credit.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so the ones who are currently working don't get burnt out on the long hours and short breaks. Allow for more time away from desks. Raise the incentives with higher base salary and higher commission rates.

5. "Medical Assistant team Lead"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant Team Lead in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant Team Lead in Houston, TX

I have been working at Travel Guard International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and vacation allowance.

Cons

Management needs to work on their structure and communication. I do however have to say that they are trying to improve. Pay is not ideal for the amount of work and there are no pay increases but there are end of year bonuses.

Advice to Management

Have more meetings, agree between managers and supervisors on policies or issues and then actually communicate this to your employees as a united front.

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Intern in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Intern in Stevens Point, WI

Pros

The workplace environment is very friendly and welcoming. People who work hard are rewarded for their work ethic.

Cons

I was an intern at the company while I was in school, but I don't remember well many downsides to working for the company.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work treating employees well and creating a fun, hard working environment.

"Worked there for 5 years"

Former Employee - Marketing, Sales, Graphic Design, Travel Agent in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Travel Guard International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Travel Guard in many different positions.

Cons

I enjoyed working there and have no complaints.

8. "Great company if you aren't in the call centers!"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Travel Guard International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO. Benefits. Great corporate social responsibility. Always offered OT. Awesome Christmas Party.

Cons

Low pay, never enough call coverage, They stopped posting in-house job postings making it harder to move up.

Advice to Management

Take the escalated calls. If an upset caller wants a supervisor they should get one. The less passive-aggressive behavior the better. If you don't like what I am doing, coach me individually. Do not send an email to the whole department making an example of me. If you are afraid to talk to me individually because it may be uncomfortable for you, then do not be a team lead.

9. "Big faceless corporate job"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Travel Guard International full-time

Pros

Flexible hours when needed
    Modern, clean facilities
    Adequate parking
    Secure workplace
    Company does a lot of charity work in the community

Cons

The corporate parent has given very little in terms of raises or performance pay since 2008. Benefits have continually gotten worse, and pay has not been increasing to cover higher cost of living. Would rather direct any profits to the shareholders rather than investing in their employees. Very little upward mobility, nonexistent mobility in some departments. Old and outdated computer equipment and systems strain productivity for IT staff.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, listen to suggestions on improvements for IT and other critical areas.

10. "Interesting work but micromanaging / disconnected leadership - Dean Silvey is no longer CEO."

Former Employee - Salesperson in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Travel Guard International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work and job opportunities if you're ambitious. Travel industry clients are laid back and fun. Decent benefits and good work / life balance.

Cons

Micromanagement increasing. Policy set by a largely disconnected and on occasion, grossly uninformed, executive staff based at AIG in NYC. Lack of clear and honest communication from the top down. Bonus structure is murky at best. AIG subject to regulatory restrictions that other travel insurance companies don't seem to have to deal with, putting Travel Guard at a serious competitive disadvantage. What used to be a unique culture with strong values is quickly disappearing.

Advice to Management

Be honest & effectively clear obstacles out of your employees way. Learn your products, unique markets and what your people in the trenches actually do so that you can keep your superiors at AIG in New York realistically informed. That will go a long way in setting realistic performance goals and creating stronger products.

11. "Great Potential but needs Work"

Current Employee - World Service Center Representative in Stevens Point, WI
    Current Employee - World Service Center Representative in Stevens Point, WI

I have been working at Travel Guard International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The annual PTO is accrued nicely and is initially based of the month hired. The culture is usually fun and the coworkers who have been with the company for some time are extremely resourceful. There is sales commission package if working in the sales/service. Product knowledge becomes really easy after just a few short weeks. The shift differential offered for week nights and weekends is nice.

Cons

I believe that the call monitoring can be punitive and not cumulative (IE. looks at small details instead of the overall call outcome) which affects your commission rating. Time off requests are bothersome when they only select one person from each time block (block are not proportionate to a 24 hours day). Training is 3 weeks long and I feel it halfway prepares you for calls - the greatest learning is with each call. Mandatory overtime is something to expect in travel season which is fine at only 5 hours per week, however when times are specifically offered and not near your shift (meaning you'd have to come in on your day off or work twice in one day) I believe this is not conducive to work-life balance especially when these times are during the holiday season and the early summer months. Leadership seems to be structured very poorly.