Travel Syndication Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Travel Syndication Technology Reviews

Updated February 21, 2019

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "For passionate technologists"

I worked at Travel Syndication Technology full-time

Pros

It's been a great experience to work for the company. TST has a flat structure, which I particularly enjoyed, amazing benefits and very interesting technologies and problems to solve. This is a small company trying to build a product comparable to Expedia or Priceline but with many less resources. TST follows agile and lean principles by cutting on the bureaucracy and empowering people. No time for endless meetings and discussions here, You will get a lot of autonomy and flexible time to organize your days the way you want (within the 10am to 3pm core hours) but you will be also expected to deliver.

Same applies with the tech stack. You will get to use many cutting edge technologies and encouraged to assess and implement new ones if they can provide value to the company. Right now TST is transitioning from a monolith to a microservices architecture and you will be exposed to technologies such as ReactJS, Node.js, Webpack, Scala, Play Framework, Akka, Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, AWS, etc.

Finally, and especially if you come from the startup world, the fact that company is funded by two AAA clubs will make you not to have to worry about the financial stability of the company at all.

Cons

Not much to say here. Make sure you understand what working in a flat structure means, as it has pros and cons and it might not work for you. Some very technically competent people have gotten frustrated in the past by the lack of formal structure and the distributed decision making approach. But if you are a responsible, self-driven and personally accountable individual and can accept your peers decisions, even those you might not agree with them, you will love working at TST.

Advice to Management

I liked the idea of a having a product radar (adopt, explore and assess categories) and I think there should be one for the tech stack too. It's great to be able to introduce new technologies and tools but I think it would be also great to better communicate the direction and long term vision for the TST technology stack and engineering practices and make sure there's consistency among all the different teams (e.g. use of Backbone, Angular and React).

"Looks good up front, but not once you're in the door."

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Travel Syndication Technology full-time

Pros

Overall, the company is competitive with pay (especially for Scala developers since they are hard to come by in the Atlanta area) and generally the health coverage is very good for medical, dental, and vision.

Cons

Where to start? Yeah, that's how many there but I'll break them into 2 groups: policies and general so you can really see the issues.

Policies:

- During the hiring process you're told that they have a very good WFH package, but what they don't mention is that for new employees the WFH policy doesn't start for a bit which is odd. You hired an employee, if others are at home, and this new employee is in the office (with almost no one) then they basically are WFH. Such a dumb "policy." What they don't realize is that most companies offer a truly flexible WFH package with 1 in office day, knowing that they are hiring adults, they have video conferencing tools, and things are very transparent.

- They highlight that there are "core office hours", which makes sense for meeting coordination, etc. But what they don't mention is that you are essentially watched during the day on how much you are physically there even when work is getting done.

- There's unlimited PTO but you are made to feel like taking off should be few and far between.

General:

- While you're a salary employee, you're asked to fill out not only a timesheet, but also a sheet at the end of the month showing what you've worked on. Do they really think that developers are putting accurate information? As a developer, I'm working on what the product team assigns to me, so it is already know what my time is allocated to.

- No bonus package and you have to ASK for a review each year to get a raise (that you may not even get.)

- There are 3 rockstar Product Owners, but can't say that about who runs the team. Most of the employees feel this way and have raised concerns, yet nothing ever seems to get done. The experience is 90-95% at TST, thus highlighting the lack of overall product knowledge. I can't speak on behalf of the product team themselves (hopefully they see this and write a review as well), but it's obvious who wants to be in control, which means controlling with work and the individuals, is very much a micromanager, has no sense of what truly is a priority and shifts the work all the time. As a developer, I find that I'm never able to finish something because of it and then later reamed about why something isn't done.

- Absolutely zero culture. Not kidding. NONE. There have been some that try to help with that, but everyone is fearful of their jobs so they stay heads down.

- (This ties into the WFH.) While the office is in somewhat of a decent location (400/285 interchange), the traffic is absolutely horrendous and will only continue to get worse as construction continues. It doesn't matter how long your commute is, you are required to be there on the in office days. It has been said multiple times that the office is going to move but never happens. Employees will believe it when they see it.

- You're told that there is a conference budget for employees which is extremely important to a developer but later find out there isn't one.

- The DevOps team is an absolutely joke. Hire someone that truly knows Operation.

Advice to Management

Before I list my advice, look to see who is responding to the reviews.

- You say that turnover is common in technology but have maintained some very long-term employees. Yes, that's true, but those employees have stayed for one of two reasons: 1) you're tossing more money their way, 2) not actually qualified enough to get another job and they know it so they keep their heads down. There has been a ton of really great talent at TST and they leave pretty quickly when they see everything.

- Be careful now that the area is running out of Scala developers (and even some really good UI developers.) As you lose us, we tell other developers to stay away. I've already made many aware. Your reputation will prevent you from being able to hire actual talent.

- Get rid the ones causing the issues and let the team go full speed ahead. Not only will you get more done, it will get done more efficiently and your developers will stay.

- Have actual culture and show that you care about your employees. Listen to them when it comes to WFH, their concerns, struggles, etc. When you have happy employees, you thrive.

- Stop saying that "a flat organization isn't for everyone." If you listened to your employees and got rid of the problems, you'd be fine.

"CTO is Unethical and Erratic"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I worked at Travel Syndication Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unbeatable benefits, great coworkers, Flex hours. If you can avoid the CTO, then its a great place to work.

Cons

The CTO! He gets angry expecting something that he never asked for. He makes erratic decisions and has NO idea how to manage people or the gaps of the company.

Advice to Management

The board should replace the CTO.

"Make your own day"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sandy Springs, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sandy Springs, GA

I have been working at Travel Syndication Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best benefit packages you could ask for, most premiums paid. Updated computer and cell phone, any IDE I want and equipment. We're a flat org, so we're equally responsible to each other. I've see the team getting together to solve problems everyday. Solutions come from everyone. I get to set my own hours, besides the mandatory core hours of 10-3. There's WFH options, unlimited vacation. Its a dream.

Cons

Because there isn't management, we tend to have to figure out personnel problems, or major problems out for ourselves. Our one boss, the CTO tends to be too busy and it can be difficult to get him time.

Advice to Management

There isn't really too much management.

"Nice company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, very relaxed and comfortable environment, great benefits, ability to work from home for at least one day a week without approval, unlimited vacations.

Cons

It's not really a con - it depends how you look at it. The organization structure is very flat. Some people may prefer to have more hierarchy but i personally like it this way as it’s way more straightforward, allows you to get things done quicker and the atmosphere is more informal.

Advice to Management

Probably monthly/quarterly one-on-ones with individual employees would be beneficial to give some feedback on where they are doing fine and where there’s room for improvement

"Animal Farm"

I worked at Travel Syndication Technology full-time

Pros

The gold on the gold-plated handcuffs.

Cons

If you have read any review above 3 stars, don’t be fooled. Flat-structure is not a psuedo-con, it’s a ploy of power and dictatorship.

All programmers are equal, but some programmers are more equal than others.

There is a hierarchy. It’s of the CTO, his minions, then everyone else. Everyone’s opinions can be swept away with his say and nothing can be done to prevent or persuade... you must simply obey. So many terrible decisions have been made this way, not only for the company but for the workers in it.

New front-end architecture written behind closed doors for 6 months, rears it’s head and guess what? It’s dumb. New deployment architecture written on Docker that will revolutionize how we do things… how’d it go you ask? Broke production for about a month and everyone was left with frustration and short answers from the only 2 that touched the code. Oh hey, remember that front-end architecture? Whoops, breaks all of our automation testing that we spent 3 years writing… guess you ruby developers better learn javascript. *6 months later* Actually you know that front-end architecture you’ve been working in? React is the hot new thing right? Screw it, let’s go with that… that should get the new developers in here.

It won’t. People know now. They’ve heard about the environment. They’ve heard about the turn around. They’ve heard about how you crack the whip with those you have left.

For those who can’t tell what it’s like to work there, other than reading reviews; like having your morale crushed? Carpet pulled out beneath you? Never knowing how the overlord feels about you? Will today be the day? Did I commit enough lines of code? That feature was too small to appease him. Am I keeping up to a metric that fluctuates with mood and is completely invisible? Oh god, last week was all bug fixes…

Hope you enjoyed my little playlet.

Advice to Management

Notice how it seems as I’m directing this all at one person. That’s not a coincidence. Replace him, fix what’s wrong with the infrastructure, the code, and the morale... then maybe, just maybe, this company has a chance.

"Career suicide. The place is a total circus."

Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Engineer in Sandy Springs, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Engineer in Sandy Springs, GA

Pros

It's pretty well known you get paid well here. Seeing a soft spoken CTO run this place without any skills on how to operate business is quite entertaining.

Cons

The high pay definitely does not make it worthwhile to work in a dysfunctional place as this one. This place takes the cake by far on the amount of drama.

The place is truly a one man show. Prior to starting there I had read reviews about a flat org and comments about be just needing to be self motivated and I figured, ok, that makes sense. It's actually far from that and it only took about 4 or 5 days to get a taste of how dysfunctional the place is.

To give you an idea, the of one of their long time overpaid UI contractors was installing key loggers on computers to obtain accounting info. It's a culture of backstabbing and mistrust. The place

Advice to Management

Enjoy yourself today and stock up on the cash because I can't imagine this being sustainable in the long run. Everyone knows how much of a fraud you are.

"What a joke...just sheer incompetence."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Travel Syndication Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is truly a great place to stock up on cash since the pay above average as long as you commit code and keep your name above the secret "leader board" which the CTO uses to rank developers based on the number of lines of code committed.

Cons

The entire place is run by just one person. Though he goes by the title CTO, he should have chosen some thing else, maybe even CEO as he lacks the competence on anything technical. Your offer letter, vacation requests, everything you could imagine goes through this one person. They sell you on the idea of a flat org structure; however, the only reason for this structure is so the CTO could run the place with absolutely no accountability and in the most incompetent manner.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job in keeping your place and fooling clients. Enjoy it while it lasts.

"False Economy with Great Pay. Just say YES!"

I have been working at Travel Syndication Technology full-time

Pros

Great pay
    Relaxed environment, if you can avoid working in the development War Room

Cons

This company is under no pressure to actually make a profit, so things that are best practice at other companies do not apply here.
    That being said, remember if you take a job here is that the ONLY thing that is important is for you to please the CTO. If you want to keep your job, you must be a Yes Man.

Advice to Management

It's good to be the king! Yes, sir!

"Improving, but not there yet."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Travel Syndication Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technology. Flexible hours. Good people. Good pay.

Cons

Lack of any management structure. Essentially one person in charge of everything. Mountains of technical debt and no process to address it. Not enough engineers. Drama.

Advice to Management

Introduce a more structured management hierarchy. Delegate responsibility to more people, hold them accountable. Utilize available engineers more efficiently.