Travelers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7

1,808 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Claims demands make work life balance a challenge (in 78 reviews)

• There simply is no work-life balance if you want to succeed here (in 23 reviews)

"Talent Acquisition"

Pros

Great Recruiters. Very passionate about what they do. Lots of talent within. Love the Company..... TA department???? It was once loved.

Cons

*not what you know, it's who you know.
    * They hire their own from the outside, pay them a lot of money, and sure they will get huge bonuses.
    *They inform staff about "SOME" opportunities, but don't encourage you to apply
    *They don't tell you about "SOME" opportunities and promote those that they know. you eventually find out via email announcement
    *Interesting fact, most recent internal promotions.... well... they've only been with the company for about a year. All former Chubb employees. it's looking like a mini merger between Chubb TA & Travelers TA.
    bonuses are awful.. well depends how buddy buddy you are with some
    Morale... to the floor.. never seen anything like it

Advice to Management

I'm no longer there because of these reasons. My advice, not that it would matter is that when leadership is visiting... make a point to show yourself to staff...let them know when you are visiting.... get to know them....don't just walk by them and not acknowledge and look at them from head to toe as if they were less than zero. i really hope it changes before you start losing more

2. "Good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, great team, solid stable reliable

Cons

Large corporation, red tape etc

Advice to Management

n/A

3. "Good place"

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

Pretty nice environment overall, nice benefits

Cons

Not challenging enough at times

Advice to Management

Keep supporting employees

4. "FMLDP Intern"

Former Employee - FMLDP Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - FMLDP Intern in Hartford, CT

Pros

- Great support for interns
    - Competitive hourly wage for interns
    - Awesome experience in a financial role
    - Tons of experience working with senior leadership
    - Always someone to help you learn about the insurance industry

Cons

- In the process of catching up technologically

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing

"So-So Employer"

Current Employee - National Account Manager
    Current Employee - National Account Manager

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO
    Great job training
    Promote from within

Cons

Little punishment for poor performance or reward for great performance
    Antiquated work environment
    Ineffectual management
    Feeling of a hierarchy in treatment.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees equally, and get up to date with the times and want employees want.

6. "Long hiring process but..."

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

The hiring process was long but it was worth the wait. First I had a phone interview with a recruiter then took a in-person assessment about a week later. I was scheduled for an interview about 2 weeks later after successfully passing the assessment. After being interview by various staff members I received an offer about 1 month later contingent upon a successful background check . About a week later I received a welcome aboard email solidifying that I was hired. During this long process various staff members maintained communication with me to include the recruiter.

Cons

The only con is the long hiring process but it is understandable because Travelers is know to be selective when hiring new candidates.

"SIU Investigator"

Current Employee - Investigator in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Investigator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company, great benefits, and the best department to work for in the company. Travelers SIU is on the leading edge of the industry. Work can be unpredictable at times, however this is what makes it interesting. Work load is manageable, however like anywhere, it can seem overwhelming at times but always workable. Management (at least here) is fantastic, and supports us in the field. Coworkers in different departments work well with SIU. Pay is on the higher end within the industry.

Cons

State mandated 8 hour days, nothing the company can do about it for non-exempt employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Very happy with the outlook and future of the company.

"Great Company to Work For!"

Former Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started at Travelers right out of college on a technical / IT track. Over time, this evolved into various finance support, reporting, and data/analytics positions. The company has a lot of room for growth if you put in the effort. I was promoted 3 times in a series of 9 years. This varies by individual, but I did receive a bonus yearly, a merit increase yearly, and periodically received stock awards. This is a good company for those who like a "cushy" job with slow, steady, and consistent advancement and compensation. Travelers is very stable, well managed, and I never felt the stress of my job not being there tomorrow. The company has a positive reputation and very positive morale at the Hartford campus, with a very team oriented culture. It was a great place to start my career and I learned so much working there. I would recommend Travelers as one of the better places to work in the greater Hartford area. I also had never been micromanaged at all. Gossip and negativity are almost non-existent. (of course this varies department to department and role to role, so take it with a grain of salt).

Cons

When it came to promotions and advancement in terms of title and compensation, it seemed at times that my extra work efforts to go above and beyond were only partially recognized. I did always receive positive feedback, but what seemed to matter more when it came time for a promotion was how long you had been in your current role and if you were "due" for a promotion, rather than what you delivered, even if you hit the ball out of the park repeatedly. Certain aspects of the company do feel a little "old school". It is a little too formal for the year 2017 - you can't even wear jeans on Friday! The company seems to be playing "catch up" to be a "cool place to work" compared to other companies, by recently renovating all of the floors and trying to be more flexible with things like remote working options. They are also somewhat cheap and conservative with small things that go a long way. For example, we had to pay for our own holiday party, rather than the company giving a budget to each dept. You also have to pay for parking (approx $1000/yr pretax) if you choose to drive to work. Last, this company is a tad management heavy. EVERYONE is a manager, director, etc. It almost devalues the prestige and desire to be promoted to a higher title, since the company gives out big fancy titles so liberally. All of these cons are highly out-weighed by the pros though, and I would still recommend working at Travelers.

Advice to Management

More recognition of what an individual contributes/delivers, versus how long they have been in a role when considering promotion opportunities.

Let people wear jeans on Fridays.

9. "Nice Workplace"

I worked at Travelers full-time

Pros

Foster teamwork to get job done, training was really good

Cons

I wasn't there too long to provide any cons

Advice to Management

a

10. "Love working here"

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities across the enterprise

Cons

Some departments are better than others.

Showing 1,808 of 1,927 reviews