Travelers Reviews | Glassdoor

1,582 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,582 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Claims demands make work life balance a challenge (in 71 reviews)

• There simply is no work-life balance if you want to succeed here (in 21 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers, also, my job

Cons

Opportunity for advancement, also more training

Advice to Management

Lack of advice

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to gain experience and expertise in the industry.
    Top-quality senior management team.
    Focus on Diversity and Inclusion.
    Good work life balance, compensation potential and opportunity to work with great people.

Cons

Its a great place to work. No significant cons to mention.

3. "Great Company for a Succesful Career"

Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Travelers since the fall of 2015 and I can truly say that I can't think of a better place to work at. As an underwriter for the company I am given the resources of a Fortune 500 company, but still have the flexibility of being out in the field and working with agencies directly in my territory. I would list the following as 'Pros' compared to the industry:
    - Pay & Benefits
    - Growth within the company
    - Work-Life Balance
    - Knowledgeable management
    - Job Security
    - Ability to Travel
    - Training

Cons

There are no major issues I have with Travelers as an employer. The only minor 'Cons' are:
    - Company can be slow at times compared to the ever changing market place
    - Bureaucracy of a large company

Advice to Management

No major changes are needed to the company on a macro or micro level. I love the people I work with and work for and the "Underwriting" culture Travelers stands by. The only piece of advice to give is to be more flexible when it comes to changing with the market place.

5. "Highly Recommended Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive Officer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive Officer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family-oriented business environment and an overall tremendous place to work. Compensation is favorable and very good benefits. Work/life balance is terrific and allows me to manage my profession and still having time with my children. From the top down, this organization allows individuals to voice their opinions and they are always willing to help individuals grow.

With over ten years at this company, I am proud that I work for this company. Not only is it a great company to work for, but they also are involved in so many communities and charitable programs.

Cons

In my situation, the ONLY con that I have is that the location of this office is about 40 minutes from my home.

"Horrendous"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Houston, TX

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid every two weeks and get health insurance. Parking is free. The office has windows. They do not charge you rent for your cubicle.

Cons

Micro-micro management scrutinizes everything. Expect to fail. Nepotism reigns. If you are not part of the chosen few you will not be able to advance.

7. "Underwriting"

Former Employee - Underwriting in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Underwriting in Chicago, IL

I worked at Travelers (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers collaborative envionment. You get what you give

Cons

None to list

"Subrogation Claims Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Travelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent sense of community and culture in the office, warm and friendly coworkers, work hard play hard mentality. Structured training procedure which is nice.

Cons

None at this point.

"Opportunities for passionate employees"

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I am apart of is great. I have great managers around me that work to provide opportunities and growth. The people around me are passionate and are genuinely supportive.

Cons

Although not a terrible thing, a lot is expected in a critical role that should offer more compensation. Unless you are a standout employee, you are not given the same opportunities as a colleague who works just as hard but doesn't produce the same results.

Advice to Management

Keep working to promote growth of employees and providing opportunities for advancement

"Not A Terrible Place to Start From"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly stable. Consistent market approach. Industry reputation. Big company.

Cons

Office politics. Nepotism. Toxic work environment at some locations. Inability to recognize/develop talent. Rigid mindset. Poor compensation compared to competitors. Infrequent and unimpressive bonus structure. No formal training/internal education for sales personnel. No clear organizational structure with respects to one role/department transitioning to another discipline. For as big an international company as we are, we have a painful lack of opportunities/upward mobility. Lack of strategic tools to grow book (lower agent commission compared to some competitors, rarely offer incentives like gift cards/rewards, cheap with swag, product priced high compared to market, conservative appetite compared to competition, convoluted and tedious approach to underwriting.)

Advice to Management

Stop punishing creativity/ideas. Transition from old IBM 1980s approach to business. Learn to harness thought diversity, not simply focus on ethnicity/gender. Understand that generous employee compensation is a form of investment, with potential to yield much bigger dividends (better morale, less resentment and real teamwork.) Change philosophy to turning a profit "with" employees vs. at their expense. Listen when your talent pool messages the same concerns year after year and do something about it.

"Amazing place to work! Great culture, great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travelers is a place you want to get up in the morning and go to work. Travelers values their employees, their opinions and is constantly looking for feedback around how they can do better. The Leadership at Travelers is outstanding and has the employee at mind. The benefits Travelers offers are outstanding and something you would have a hard time finding better.

Cons

As always, every company has opportunities, however I feel Travelers is constantly looking for ways to improve. .

Showing 1,582 of 1,673 reviews