Travelers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,826 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Claims demands make work life balance a challenge (in 78 reviews)

• There simply is no work-life balance if you want to succeed here (in 23 reviews)

1. "Good place"

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

Pretty nice environment overall, nice benefits

Cons

Not challenging enough at times

Advice to Management

Keep supporting employees

2. "FMLDP Intern"

Former Employee - FMLDP Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - FMLDP Intern in Hartford, CT

Pros

- Great support for interns
    - Competitive hourly wage for interns
    - Awesome experience in a financial role
    - Tons of experience working with senior leadership
    - Always someone to help you learn about the insurance industry

Cons

- In the process of catching up technologically

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing

3. "Good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, great team, solid stable reliable

Cons

Large corporation, red tape etc

Advice to Management

n/A

"Great Company to Work For!"

Former Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started at Travelers right out of college on a technical / IT track. Over time, this evolved into various finance support, reporting, and data/analytics positions. The company has a lot of room for growth if you put in the effort. I was promoted 3 times in a series of 9 years. This varies by individual, but I did receive a bonus yearly, a merit increase yearly, and periodically received stock awards. This is a good company for those who like a "cushy" job with slow, steady, and consistent advancement and compensation. Travelers is very stable, well managed, and I never felt the stress of my job not being there tomorrow. The company has a positive reputation and very positive morale at the Hartford campus, with a very team oriented culture. It was a great place to start my career and I learned so much working there. I would recommend Travelers as one of the better places to work in the greater Hartford area. I also had never been micromanaged at all. Gossip and negativity are almost non-existent. (of course this varies department to department and role to role, so take it with a grain of salt).

Cons

When it came to promotions and advancement in terms of title and compensation, it seemed at times that my extra work efforts to go above and beyond were only partially recognized. I did always receive positive feedback, but what seemed to matter more when it came time for a promotion was how long you had been in your current role and if you were "due" for a promotion, rather than what you delivered, even if you hit the ball out of the park repeatedly. Certain aspects of the company do feel a little "old school". It is a little too formal for the year 2017 - you can't even wear jeans on Friday! The company seems to be playing "catch up" to be a "cool place to work" compared to other companies, by recently renovating all of the floors and trying to be more flexible with things like remote working options. They are also somewhat cheap and conservative with small things that go a long way. For example, we had to pay for our own holiday party, rather than the company giving a budget to each dept. You also have to pay for parking (approx $1000/yr pretax) if you choose to drive to work. Last, this company is a tad management heavy. EVERYONE is a manager, director, etc. It almost devalues the prestige and desire to be promoted to a higher title, since the company gives out big fancy titles so liberally. All of these cons are highly out-weighed by the pros though, and I would still recommend working at Travelers.

Advice to Management

More recognition of what an individual contributes/delivers, versus how long they have been in a role when considering promotion opportunities.

Let people wear jeans on Fridays.

5. "Love working here"

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities across the enterprise

Cons

Some departments are better than others.

6. "Nice Workplace"

I worked at Travelers full-time

Pros

Foster teamwork to get job done, training was really good

Cons

I wasn't there too long to provide any cons

Advice to Management

a

"Select Small Business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Travelers full-time

Pros

Good insurance, 401K, Retirement, amount of PTO

Cons

Constant harassment and very little compensation for doing a good job. Raises are rare and not everyone gets a bonus. You have to win a contest to get anything for excelling at your job. Management appreciation always has strings attached. Employees even have to pay to wear jeans on Friday. If you have more than 4 unplanned absences in a 12-month rolling period, you get written up. No matter if you miss 2 hours or 8 and no matter what for. You could be sick, in an accident or maybe your car won't start. You will get a mark against you which could lead to getting written up or terminated. You are constantly reminded of this.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat a good employee. Learn how to just show good employees your appreciation without having strings attached or making them jump through hoops. Stop quantifying positions and harassing employees with QC scores.

8. "Good"

Pros

Good job to work at

Cons

There’s nothing really wrong honestly

9. "Senior Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment - Company stock out performs other insurance stock - Senior management is open and receptive and works hard to retain experienced workers.

Cons

Like most insurance companies the model these days is to follow the imagined success of the company's who like expense driven personal lines insurance regional claim and underwriting which has driven down profits.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics of local handling and leave the regional centers to work the limited value exposures. Let the local experienced people take care of the more complex matters and save costs on the front line rather than in the imagined world of marketing and investigating from 4 States away.

"Contentious culture"

Current Employee - Experienced Claims Adjuster in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Experienced Claims Adjuster in Albany, NY

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, hires from within, top rated company. When I got the inside look into other companies way of doing things, I really appreciated how I was taught to handle claims and customer experience

Cons

Having worked for this company in 2 completely different states I can can say that the culture is less than desirable. In one office my peers and I were so overworked there would be spontaneous crying at peoples' desks. In the other the work ethic was so poor and people cared more about who they liked than getting the job done. I just don't understand how the culture was so strained that people were down right mean and nasty.

Advice to Management

There have been so many changes since I left- I can't begin to know if these things persist.

Showing 1,826 of 1,946 reviews