Travelers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,706 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Claims demands make work life balance a challenge (in 75 reviews)

• Upper management seems disorganized and communication is not trickled down well (in 48 reviews)

1. "Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't imagine working for another insurance company. Travelers has an excellent collaborative culture, outstanding leadership and fantastic diversity programs. The company offers a wide variety of job opportunities, suiting several different college majors. I am also proud to work for a generous and financially stable company that routinely gives back to local charities and communities.

Cons

I have no negative feedback. Travelers is a remarkable company to work for, with well-respected and committed leaders.

Advice to Management

Continue to be a disciplined when underwriting risks and industries.

2. "First Impression"

I have been working at Travelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is calm, and productive. The staff on all levels are very pleasant, knowledgeable and willing to help others succeed.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do; please no surprises to make me think otherwise of this great company.

3. "Engaging And Empowering Careers"

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travelers is a company where your colleagues become your family. Growth opportunities abound, and the company prides itself on investing in its people.

Cons

It's hard to name a downside to Travelers. The company provides diverse opportunities for all of its staff.

4. "Meritocracy"

I have been working at Travelers full-time

Pros

People are paid for results
    Collaborative culture
    Business oriented management

Cons

Most jobs are located in Hartford, CT

5. "Travelers is a great company"

Current Employee - Director of Legal Operations in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director of Legal Operations in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travelers is a great place to work because of its great leadership, financial stability, training programs, diversity, and dedication to doing the right thing for its customers, employees, and shareholders.

Cons

Currently I am fully satisfied.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive initiatives to develop the next generation of managers and individual contributors to keep the culture in tact while being innovative to provide excellent products and services for our customers. Also, thanks for giving back to the community. I am proud of being a part of the Travelers team.

6. "Best Company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Insurance Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Travelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits starting day one, including 401k and pension. Discount on personal insurance. A generous quarterly bonuses chart. Abundant opportunities for growth into any insurance related position within travelers. And lots lots lots of paid time off including holidays, which I will more than likely volunteer to work because they pay double time and a half (2 1/2 days) for working them. Overtime available on a weekly basis.

Cons

I'll update when I find one, they literally give you a bonus to work your schedule and get licensed which are already required I've never seen that. I've loved it since day one.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Good Benefits, Extremely Boring Job"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Travelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PTO is 22 days starting including sick days (this is what made me, and I believe others, stay longer than they normally would if contemplating finding another job) and about 9 paid holidays.

Medical benefits (copay is somewhat high if you have a reason that requires you to see a doctor multiple times within one month on an Account Manager salary)

Stable and trusted company

The IT "systems" employees are fast and efficient when you have a problem you just call the number and they usually know the remedy.

Was given a sit stand desk (but it took months to receive because of red tape getting doctors note, custom order, etc.. I thought it would never come but one day it was there) this made me feel valued as an employee because they are expensive.

Flexible work schedule. You can typically start anytime between 7:00am and 9:00am as long as you come in consistently at the same time and work for 8.5 hours (includes 30 minute lunch, 9 hours if you take a one hour lunch).

This job has a salary but you are an hourly employee. This is a great way to get overtime (if you had a salary you would not get overtime) but I almost always worked 40 hour weeks. Overtime is usually only granted if you have a large workload that needs attention. Some employees are notorious for coming in every now and then on Saturday's but you can get the job done in a 40 hour work week typically. Also, if you want to take a day off and use your PTO, even if it is the same week as you are asking, the manager usually approves this as long as you find someone to back you up for urgent items when you are out of the office. My department was really good at backing each other up when out of the office.

Understanding of major life events, such as if a health crisis occurs, as long as you follow the required protocol. Following the protocol (especially of a disability health insurance company) as well as of your company can be overwhelming when you are going through a health or family crisis but it is also a huge relief to know that you have this insurance and work for a company that offers such a generous policy. I also met multiple people who have left Travelers for one reason or another and return to work for the company later in their career.

Discounts for gyms, cell phone if you are the primary account holder, various music and theatre events (partial to large campus in St. Paul and Hartford I believe), hotels, etc..

Travelers choir group and other activity groups. Diversity clubs offer various thought- provoking and inspirational speakers as well as leadership opportunities. Gym on site but you have to pay for it. Massage therapist on site for pay.

Cons

The Account Manager job is very repetitive and boring. You may be pulling the same report 25 + times per day for weeks on end while also needing to rate, quote, propose or issue different policies within your territory. Each account has multiple policies that all require different ways to rate, quote, propose and issue within different systems. Knowing every nuance for each type of policy within every system and website used to complete supplementary work, along with each state an account is located in has different nuances on top of this in multiple facets, can be very overwhelming. An extremely organized, concrete-linear thinking person is a good fit for this job but I am more on the creative abstract-thinking side and know this is why I was never able to fully engage or get into the work.

All work is monitored through a "transaction manager" that you update; however the system can make errors or work can be transferred incorrectly (for example, "service" aka the workers in India that are gradually taking over Account Manager responsibilities are people that you transfer a task to complete may not complete the task in time and you have to keep checking to make sure it is completed or you are responsible when managers look at your "numbers" aka stats) and many employees keep track of their work through their own personal excel sheet because of the risk that the "transaction manager" does not list an account assigned to you. However, management does not want you to use additional tracking on your own excel sheet because "transaction manager" is so highly endorsed from the top. Your manager reviews your "transaction manager" scores and judges your work from this system but cannot say which account was late or backup the numbers. You can email your manager on why "transaction manager" made a mistake or if an insurance agent (client) was the reason for a specific late work but I do not really know the point of this. My manager must have received over 50 emails a day and how do they keep track of all of these emails from their subordinates when there are more pressing issues to deal with? Seemed semi-pointless to email an excuse for why "transaction manager" is wrong to me when the manager still takes your "numbers" as is. Also your "year-to-date" numbers can haunt you if you mess up and are hard to get back up so try to get all work in on time. I was not aware how important getting all work in on time was in the beginning of my time at Travelers because some well respected co-workers had a lot of red (aka late work) so I did not think it was very serious to have some late work. However, they had larger territories (aka more work that month). I wish that trainers and managers would emphasize how important on time work is in the beginning of your time at Travelers (and each trainer and manager is different, you may luck out and have a great one or a horrible one) instead of acting so relaxed or just simply not saying anything about this at all until it is too late to make yourself look good. Certain work needs to be completed a certain amount of days before a policy is renewed and this was not even communicated to me. Yikes, glad I finally figured it out. Sorry to write so much on this topic but "transaction manager" is a topic that many employees have issues with and hopefully the kinks will be worked out within the next few years. It takes awhile for changes due to red tape.

There are so many differences between states (the state that each account is issued in has different requirements aka insurance forms added or removed manually or different tools to run that are input for renewal; and your territory includes multiple states for those out there not familiar with insurance) and computer systems that you must memorize and once you figure a system out they usually change it.

You can't work from home but your boss can. A couple times my coworkers wrote that they were "working from home" on their status. They were obviously working from home to accommodate a doctors appointment, sick child, whatever it may be, but I was told that working from is never aloud from my boss. This made me feel very devalued as an employee because it is favoritism that was never addressed. I was lied to about it. Work accommodations are confidential but when it comes to working from home the entire department needs the same policy. Employees from other departments have also worked from home but each manager makes their own rules. However, do not expect to work from home at all if you are an Account Manager. Account Executives, aka Underwriters, have more freedom to work from home but they also have sales goals to meet and are not hourly employees.

There is a separation between Account Managers, aka Underwriting Assistants, and Account Executives, aka Underwriters. Some Underwriters act like they are above the Account Managers who do SO much work for them. However, some Underwriters are great. Just be aware of this unprofessionalism at times. It can make you feel small if you make a mistake but we are all human and most of us all have the same four-year degrees (not that that even matters).

I was told that there are advancement opportunities but if you decide that insurance is boring and dry or do not want to commit to a developmental program offered (the leadership program requires one year of living out of state for a rotation and takes four years to complete the program) you are kind of stuck as an Account Manager. It is unclear how to become a Senior Account Manager. There was only one in my department who had been there over 10 years. It seems very much up to the manager. I am also not sure how you would jump from Account Manager to unit manager. Seems unrealistic to me.

Coworkers, peers and Underwriters, will watch your every move and report to your manager any slip ups. This may be a passive aggressive trait specific to Minnesota or may be just how corporate life is. This creates internal friction and a distrust within the workplace.

Biggest con of all: was trained by a trainer from a different department with different procedures to complete work! This was only because my new manager was trying to create "emersion" between two departments that he managed. He did not work in business insurance at his previous role at Travelers and must not have understood that our departments were so different otherwise he would have understood he was setting my up for failure. This also may have happened because our department was understaffed and too busy to train or sometimes answer questions.

Typical of any large business, but SMALL cubicles! When I first started they were on the small size but got reduced to an even smaller size (I believe 6x4 feet) after renovations. I would have to move my trash can almost into the aisle when I wanted use my desk as standing so there would be room for my chair to move backwards. Account Executives have slightly larger cubicles, and typically closer to windows. Managers have closed doors but typically in the middle of the floor with no windows to the outside.

Never received a pay increase/bonus or even an annual inflation increase. This is never discussed. It would be an incentive to know what you could personally do in order to increase your chances of earning one. However, maybe you receive the same pay forever. I will never know.

Advice to Management

If managers that managed Account Managers knew more about the Account Manager role, and I am sure some do but mine did not because he had no experience in Business Insurance, this would create more understanding and achievable goals between management and subordinates.

If there is an issue with your manager it is unclear who to discuss it with. The managers have a lot of power but we can all improve. If your manager does not respond to your emails repeatedly it is okay but if you don't comply with something it is not okay? It should be a two way street and there needs to be a checks and balances system for managers so they can improve and ensure that employees are being valued.

Understand how "transaction manager" works and communicate how important it is to get all work completed by specific dates for each task instead of saying nothing until it is time to review numbers.

Everyone is gone for a different time for lunch. Many people say they do not take their 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon and instead take an hour for lunch and clock it as gone for 30 minutes. Some people eat lunch at their desk (I am guessing they clock the 30 minutes gone and actually work that time because it is state law to take this break). This is more of just an FYI and grey area.

Do not interview someone in your halloween costume, even if it is halloween. My manager did this and I would have been offended or unable to concentrate if I was the interviewee.

If an employee is out on medical leave and emails an update, email them back promptly. As Account Managers we are expected to act with urgency and the employee may feel their job is in jeopardy when the boss doesn't respond for days, when in actuality he just is bad at prioritizing emails.

Find a way to provide free coffee to employees in the break rooms. This would be easy and many would appreciate this instead of spending money at the company Starbucks. It would also save time.

8. "Great Company with a lot of Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travelers is a great place to start a career in the insurance industry. Excellent work/life balance, great benefits that start from day 1 (including PTO and health insurance), competitive salary, approachable and supportive leaders, a focus on employee development, and a new CEO that is pushing smart changes to keep up with the transforming market place. It's a very exciting time to join Travelers.

Cons

The company has high performance expectations. This may be a con for some, but what this translates into is very knowledgeable and competent peers. Also, opportunities outside of Hartford or the major field offices can be challenging, but there have been some recent pushes to improve this.

Advice to Management

If you really want to be an employer of choice, be less conservative with employee policies. It's the practical and smart thing to do if you want to attract people outside of the insurance industry. Travelers has a very laid back atmosphere and our policies should reflect that. Allow jeans in the office. Have more engagement/team building events. Implement summer hours for employees who aren't in customer facing roles. Let's be honest--is anyone productive after 2pm on a Friday in the summer?

9. "Great Company"

I have been working at Travelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, very understanding managers and flexible hours

Cons

In Claims it always feels that there is a higher demand than there is employees which can sometimes create a very stressful environment.

10. "Great Company"

Pros

great company, great community and fun

Cons

none at all, none at all

Showing 1,706 of 1,813 reviews