Cover image for Travelers

3.9
Travelers Chief Executive Officer Alan D. Schnitzer
Alan D. Schnitzer
1,007 Ratings

What people are saying about Travelers

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits; company hires with the intent to promote from within; company is all about individual personal development; company seems to pay better than competitors.(in 587 reviews)
  • "Got to meet some really great people and many employees seem to genuinely like working there.(in 301 reviews)
  • "Good pay compared to other companies(in 266 reviews)
  • "Awesome culture and great company(in 191 reviews)
  • "Reliable and good work/life balance.(in 177 reviews)
Cons
  • "Micro management through multiple silly reports that consume so much of your daily time(in 205 reviews)
  • "Unit managers have less claim knowledge than you and cant be relied on to give correct information(in 112 reviews)
  • "No bonuses for those who are young and single.(in 65 reviews)
  • "Upper management is incompetent and makes spur of the moment decisions without looking at the long term consequences.(in 61 reviews)
  • "Heavy work load(in 40 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Travelers and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Innovation Jams

Oct 18, 2022 - Software Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great place to work, Travelers takes care of their employees in so many ways! Annual Innovation jams are amazing opportunities to pursue all kinds of innovative ideas and learn new technologies and work with new people across the entire organization. Additionally, they encourage, and expect that you will grow on the job and in the direction of your passions and skills. Additionally, they are amazing supporters of your own mental health, as well as the people you work with, and the people you love and live with.

Cons

It's a big company, it doesn't feel that way, but there are rules, and ways to get things done, those processes may frustrate you, but they serve an important purpose when you deliver insurance products like ours.

Travelers Response

Social Media Manager - Talent Acquisition

We appreciate hearing from you. Innovation, collaboration and work-life balance are part of our central focus at Travelers and we love hearing that you feel cared for and engaged as a member of the team. We hope that you continue to participate in development and networking opportunities like InJam and feel encouraged to grow your career under the umbrella.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good to Nurses

Dec 3, 2022 - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Lawndale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Weekly pay! Communication is great!

Cons

Not many Cons I can think of

3. Join the Travelers team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

The Downsides of an Outdated Mindset

Nov 12, 2022 - Software Engineer II in Saint Paul, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership at lower director or management positions tends to do an okay job. Lots of options for virtual or online training. Encouraged to grow at Travelers if the opportunity also makes sense for Travelers.

Cons

An antiquated return to office policy is causing the best tech talent to leave. There is no incentive to counter the increased stress and annoyance of RTO (increased comp, varied benefits, etc). Bureaucracy gets in the way of adopting new technologies at any sort of reasonable rate. What was once the crown jewel of the tech aspect of Travelers, the annual Innovation Jam that is a watered down version of a hackathon that offers zero incentives for the top tech talent in the company to compete. They continue to move the event further and further away from the technology core that made it so alluring. Bonus structure is extremely non-transparent and inconsistent. Combined with a confusing performance review system this leads to a lot of frustration. I was given the highest score an employee could get and was rewarded with a 1.8% raise which was laughable compared to inflation. What is supposed to encourage employees to do well?

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent company - not very flexible

Mar 27, 2022 - Injury Adjuster in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work load is fine, co-workers are fine. Pay is good, benefits are good, pto is good.

Cons

Hybrid sucks. I really wish they had reconsidered the hybrid policy and having us come back to the office. A lot of us have changed the way we live for the last few years and finding child care in a month is not feasible for everyone. I feel less productive in office as there are many people and it’s loud! At home in my office is quiet, I can work independently as I’ve done for years and see no reason to return. If they’re worried about us seeing coworkers and managers, let us come in 1 day a week with our whole team to “bond”. Cafe is expensive so bring your lunch. Covid policy is non existent. Open desks is not a great policy. I really don’t want to share a desk with someone else and I’m not convinced they’re cleaned when we aren’t there.

74 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

It depends on your luck

Oct 17, 2022 - Data Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Not too stressed. But when deadlines are approaching, people begin to panic. - As someone new to the corporate world, most people are nice and willing to answer any questions.

Cons

- 1 hour commute to office just to work on a computer when I could be doing that same thing wfh and then 1 hr commute back (waste of gas, money, time, and sleep) - Have to pay for your own parking (company owns their own garage and you'll still have to pay to park in it, or in other parking garages around downtown) and company does not provide free coffee - If you're unlucky, team/manager will micromanage. For example, forced to work over 8 hours most days for the convenience of others even when you've completed your tasks and at a good place to stop for the day - Ranked against others (it is quite obvious) for raise/bonuses which are not guaranteed and "performance based" - Have to be close and super friendly with your manager in order to obtain a positive performance review for the bonus/raise

4 people found this review helpful

Travelers Response

Social Media Manager - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We aim to deliver positive experiences for all our employees, and we thank you for sharing feedback regarding some of our policies and procedures. Our teams continue to assess our guidelines with the well-being of our employees at heart. Your thoughts are appreciated, and we will share them with our management team.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good job

Nov 24, 2022 - Claim Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The PTO and benefits are awesome The training was really good A lot of opportunity to be promoted into other roles that are paying a lot more. Great people

Cons

Depending on your speed your inventory of claims can be 130-200 claims The job is very demanding especially when hurricanes happen. Customers and agents can be a huge pain. Constant phone calls

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great starter job only

Oct 14, 2022 - Receivable Account Manager in Hartford, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learn about the different types of insurance charges, exposes you to other areas of the company, ability to build great relationships with businesses, supportive coworkers, great health benefits, and volunteer opportunities.

Cons

New management team tends to micro manage the employees day to day responsibilities, daily work expectations way too high for type of billing and collections involved, too many meetings at the highest volume points in the month, high turnover of staff, and very low employee morale.

1 person found this review helpful